I was just listening to the newest Stuff Mom Never Told You podcast and in it the girls discuss “significant others” and what to call them.

Dirty Cheese Fries

What do you call your partner? For married or engaged people it’s relatively easy – words like wife, husband, and fiancé(e) are the norm but what about live-ins or people who are dating above the age of 50? It’s something I hadn’t really thought about much until now.

When Paul and I were engaged I kept calling him my boyfriend/partner and then transitioned quickly into husband/partner but “fiancé” was never said. I didn’t like the word for some reason. It seems funny now. Like, who cares right?! Anyway, I’m going to start asking everyone what they call their sweetheart…I am super interested (and nosey apparently)!

Dirty Cheese Fries
Dirty Cheese Fries

It’s Friday, I’m about to take the train to Toronto for a girls weekend and let loose, and thought I’d show you how I like to do weekends.

WITH FRIDAY FRIES! Obviously.

Dirty Cheese Fries

These are baked but are just as good as fried, trust me. Like my favorite recipe for sweet potato fries, the KEY to good baked fries is in the thinness of the potato sticks themselves. Just keep on choppin’ folks, you’ll get there and you won’t regret it.

Dirty Cheese Fries

I trashed these fries up by baking them with a bunch of fabulous spices and two kinds of cheese and then once the fries were finished, I slathered tons of sour cream and a sprinkle of scallions on top.

I’m not kidding. These are the best fries ever. Forever and ever it’s me and these fries.

Dirty Cheese Fries

• 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 3 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and dried
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce*
  • Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan
  • 1/3 cup chopped scallions
  • Sour cream, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, seasoning salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and cayenne. Set aside.
  3. Chop potatoes into matchsticks by halving each potato, halving once more, and then cutting into wedges, and then finally thin strips (KEY to crispy fries!).
  4. In a medium bowl, toss the potato strips with olive oil and worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over the potato slices and use tongs to toss everything together, ensuring the potato pieces are evenly coated with seasoning.
  5. Spread potatoes in a single layer across the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
  6. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, tossing/flipping at least once to ensure even baking. Once fries are brown and crisped to your liking, remove from the oven, top with cheddar and parmesan and return to the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
  7. Remove fries from oven and serve with a chopped scallions and sour cream.

Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker from the Joy the Baker Cookbook

*use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce to keep things vegetarian

30 Responses to Dirty Cheese Fries

1. I never liked the word ‘fiance’ when I was engaged either, it always seemed a bit show-offy for some reason! But you’re right, ‘boyfriend’ doesn’t sound serious enough if you’ve been dating for years and years. I’m happy with ‘husband’ now I’m married, no more faffing or wondering, it just is.

In other news… omg. This recipe has just made my weekend 😉

2. 1. Those cheese fries. I just want to curl up in the middle of the pan they look so good.
    2. I don’t like the word fiance either — seems kind of pretentious. My boyfriend and I have lived together for 5 years (with no intention of getting married, but still being together indefinitely). I obviously call him my boyfriend, but I do agree that at times it doesn’t seem serious enough of a word. A few times at work people have brushed us off like your world becomes different when you get married and move in together vs just living together for 5 years lol.

It’s weird eh? And by now I’m sure you guys have been together longer than a few of the married people you meet!

3. Kristina says:

These fries are great. Here in Belgium Friesday (or frietdag) is a real thing. I didn’t know that people do stuff like this – like always eat fries on Friday. I eat them whenever I want and I surely want these, they look delicious!

4. I want some Friday fries! Before we were married, I called my husband my fiance’ (and boyfriend before that). Guess I’m pretty boring!

5. Your blog is awesome and those fried look so mouth-watering! I love this recipe 🙂

6. Haha I’m with you, I totally felt weird saying fiancé. I think my weirdness of it is tied to a Seinfield episode that basically makes fun of people who say the word fiancé over and over just to hear it. Anywayssss.. These fries. Holy moly.

7. This looks like one of the best things I will eat in my entire life!!! WOW!

Amy

8. Ugh I struggle with that nomenclature! Erlend and I have been dating for 5 years, and it seems too trivial to just call him my boyfriend. But then whenever I say he’s my partner, people think I’m gay especially because Erlend’s a somewhat gender ambiguous name? Not the world’s biggest deal, but I’ve seen some people be surprised when they meet Erlend and find out he’s a dude lol.

These fries look phenomenal, btw!

9. Nanny says:

I go back over 58 years as we dated for eight years before getting married and back then one didn’t live together so we always called each other by our nick names and oddly enough still do except when introducing each other to someone then it’s my husband or wife. Glad now life is a little more relaxed.
    Your fries really look tempting and since they are baked all the better.

10. Too funny… my husband’s name is Paul too and never liked calling him a fiancee either. We dated 6 years before we got married so I was in the “girlfriend” mode for a long time!.

Anyway, your fries look so amazing! I’m a french fries lover and can’t wait to make these!

11. Laura says:

I don’t love ‘fiance,’ but I was so excited we were getting married (and that it sounded more serious than boyfriend), I was probably kind of obnoxious about using it all too frequently! Much prefer calling him my husband now! 🙂

And, THOSE fries. Holy. delicious. Yum!

12. Yesssss to trashed up fries! I am ALL about this 🙂

One, these fries sound awesomeeeee. Two, I used the word boyfriend a lot even when I was engaged. I didn’t really like fiance that much either! Happy weekend!!

14. Holy guacamole I need these in my life NOW. And I’m in a perpetual state of dating, but it’s always very confusing – are we dating? Are we ‘talking’? (I hate that one, we’re doing more than talking, buddy). I never know what to say!

15. Sabrina says:

Yumm, these look fantastic! Also think it’s interesting you used cornstarch. I bet that helps get them nice and crispy!

16. Holy moly I don’t even know what to do with myself. All that cheese!!!!!

17. Holy smoke! These look fantastic!

When I was seeing someone, I always just called them my boyfriend 🙂

Hope you’ve had an awesome weekend Katrina! xx

18. E says:

I just call him my better half

19. Dirty Cheese Fries? More like AWESOME Cheese Fries. They look absolutely delicious Katrina!

20. Donna@thehangingspoon says:

I think I just died and went to heaven. These fries…oh my!

21. thefolia says:

This looks like a perfect afternoon snack just before running off to the next sport activity. Happy feasting.

22. […] Dirty Cheese Fries Banana Sweet Potato Bread 5 Ingredient Potato Soup by Gimme Some Oven Garlic Herb Cheesy Potatoes by Pinch of Yum Chili Roasted Sweet Potato Sandwich by Naturally Ella […]