Waffles for the weekend! Waffle weekend warriors! Waffle fever! And these crisp beauties are swirled with Nutella. Yipee!

Nutella Swirled Belgian Waffles

Can I get a high five? Because these waffles are sure to make you want to jump up and down.

Nutella Swirled Belgian Waffles

Plus, it’s Friday, so we’re already excited, right? Well, I am!! We actually don’t have any major plans this weekend, but on Tuesday Paul and I are leaving the city and heading to Tadoussac, Quebec to go hiking, whale watching, and sleep in tent. Relaxation station, really.

There will be wine. There will not be waffles…unless some enchanted thoughtful beluga whales swim up to us in the morning and serve them up. But those chances are unlikely. A girl can dream.

Nutella Swirled Belgian Waffles

But today there ARE waffles! Belgian buttermilk waffles, in fact. And they are swirled with Nutella and a side of fabulous Canadian maple syrup to make all of your morning dreams come true.

Nutella Swirled Belgian Waffles

I think waffles make me a better person. Each forkful makes me grin!!

Nutella Swirled Belgian Waffles

Enjoy your weekend friends!! xoxo

Nutella Swirled Belgian Waffles

• 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup Nutella
  • 2 tsp butter
  • Cooking spray, for waffle iron
  • Pure Canadian maple syrup, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 200ΒΊF (see notes**).
  2. Preheat a Belgian waffle iron and spray with non-stick baking spray (see notes*).
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, corn starch, sugar, baking soda and salt.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
  5. Pour buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, and use a spatula to gently incorporate - the batter will be lumpy, and that's ok - don't over-mix it. Allow the batter to rest for about 15-20 minutes.
  6. Stir together the Nutella and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds and then stir to check the consistency. It should be thin enough to drizzle, but if it's not then add another tsp of butter and microwave again for about 10 seconds.
  7. When the batter is ready, pour about 3/4 cup of it onto a Belgian waffle maker (or 1/3 cup of batter on a regular waffle maker) and drizzle the warmed Nutella over the batter, swirling it in with a spatula.
  8. Cook waffles according to manufacturers instructions (I like my waffles nice and golden).
  9. Serve hot with pure Canadian maple syrup.

Recipe adapted from A Beautiful Mess

*This recipe can be made in a regular waffle maker too - it just makes more waffles.

**If you are making the waffles ahead of time or just want to keep them warm while the others are cooking, just put cooked waffles in the oven on a baking sheet at 200 degrees F until ready to serve.

You can freeze any extra waffles you have and save them for later. When you're ready for them, just preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and place the waffles on a wire baking rack and bake them for about 10 minutes before enjoying.

30 Responses to Nutella Swirled Belgian Waffles

1. Zainab says:

The best weekend news….just saying πŸ™‚

2. Perfect waffles! Nutella and waffles were made to go together πŸ™‚

3. there is no better way to start your weekend than with waffles, of course with nutella.

4. You deserve a high five for creating these delicious waffles!

5. Kathryn says:

I’m not sure how I’ve got this far in life without knowing the existence of swirled waffles!

6. Nanny says:

Tried these waffles and they are the best. Have a great relaxing time together and hope you have many whale sightings

7. Oh, I’m definitely jumping up and down right now. I want these waffles NOW! πŸ™‚

8. Wow, these look crispy and fluffy! I’m definitely the heart-shaped eye emoji for these waffles right now.

9. Heck yes! This makes me actually want to get up early (so not a morning person) and make waffles!!

10. Yes yes yes to the weekend! I want to make these tomorrow, but I’ve got brunch (listen- not complaining) so these may have to be pushed to Sunday, but WOW. Pinning!

11. todd wagner says:

Weekend, wine and whales, oh and waffles for me! Thanks for the lovely recipe, Katrina! Have fun – sounds like an awesome weekend.

12. Thank, goodness it’s Friday! Seriously I’ve had the longest week ever, agh! Also waffels + weekend = best weekend ever.

13. Nutella and waffles…two of my favorite things πŸ˜€

14. Waffles make the perfect lazy weekend breakfast! I will have to show this to my brothers – they are huge nutella fans and love using their waffle machine so I’m sure this nutella swirl combination would have them in heaven πŸ™‚

Well, nutella-swirled waffles will definitely make me a HAPPIER person…which I guess will, by extension, make me a better person?

16. Amanda says:

These look like the kind of waffles that I’ll dream about at night. Yum!

17. Cakespy says:

Yesterday I made a bold statement: “I’m tired of Nutella”. but in looking at this recipe, it turns out, I am not actually tired of it at all and wonder what I was thinking.

18. Hi Katrina,
    I love your sidebar “about me” write-up. Biology geek, me too! Self taught cook, me too! Marathon runner, noooope, but that would be nice! Let’s be friends!
    I love that last line. I am frequently made fun of by friends and family for being too exuberantly friendly. I’m happy to have found your lovely blog. Nice to meet ya’ And these WAFFLES!

19. Oh my goodness, I am so excited to make these, thanks for sharing!

20. I seriously need to get myself a waffle maker…. it’s getting ridiculous.

21. I made this and it was too good. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. πŸ™‚

22. Tara | Smells Like Home says:

Yes! Could Nutella IN your waffles not be more perfect?!