On Thursday night one of my oldest friends had her first baby. And in a way, this baby is the first baby for all of us. “Us” being a group of girls who grew up in the same small town and who have known each other and been friends for years. I haven’t met this tiny human yet, but feel so overcome with love already that it hurts.

Buttermilk Waffles

I found out that baby Lillian was born on Friday. after sending a text to my friend along the lines of “when will the baby be here?”. Within minutes her husband responded with a picture of a tiny baby girl and a message that said “she’s already here”! I immediately burst into tears.

Buttermilk Waffles

Has that ever happened to you? I didn’t cry at one of my friends weddings OR at my own wedding, but each time I find out that a friend is pregnant and now that a baby is actually born, my emotions don’t know what to do with themselves and explode.

Realistically, it’s probably due to mixed feelings: happiness, a senseΒ of loss, feelings of love, hormones…how to tell, really? But finding out that miss Lillian has officially arrived is pure joy!

Buttermilk Waffles

Buttermilk Waffles

The internet tells me that when new Moms have their first baby it’s a good idea to back off – bring them food and don’t stay too long, maybe do the dishes…but, I live far away from most of my girlfriends. I can’t necessarily drive 7 hours to “pop in” and do the dishes. I can send stuff though, and I can visit once the baby grows a little. But waiting is hard!!!

Buttermilk Waffles

For now I can take care of the two of us at home. Whether it’s buttermilk pancakes or these buttermilk waffles, I love making classic breakfasts.

These waffles are my favorite. They have a soft and crisp golden brown outside and chewy, tender centers. These pair perfectly with some good quality maple syrup (and extra butter obviously).

Buttermilk Waffles

Plus, fluffy buttermilk waffles can be enjoyed any time of year with any fruit that’s in season. I just got some juicy peaches this weekend at the farmer’s market and am SO down to put them on everything!

Buttermilk Waffles

• 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Cooking spray, for waffle iron
  • Pure Canadian maple syrup, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 200ΒΊF (see notes**).
  2. Preheat a Belgian waffle iron and spray with non-stick baking spray (see notes*).
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla until combined.
  5. Pour buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, and use a spatula to gently incorporate - the batter will be lumpy, and that's ok - don't over-mix it.
  6. Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto a Belgian waffle maker (or 1/3 cup of batter on a regular waffle maker) and cook according to manufacturers instructions. I like my waffles nice and golden.
  7. Serve with pure Canadian maple syrup.

Recipe adapted from Foodess

*This recipe can be made in a regular waffle maker too - it just makes more waffles.

**If you are making the waffles ahead of time or just want to keep them warm while the others are cooking, just put cooked waffles in the oven on a baking sheet at 200 degrees F until ready to serve.

You can freeze any extra waffles you have and save them for later. When you're ready for them, just preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and place the waffles on a wire baking rack and bake them for about 10 minutes before enjoying.

No related content found.

30 Responses to Buttermilk Waffles

1. congrats to your friend! And there is nothing quite like a classic buttermilk waffle! Yum!

2. Yay for baby Lillian! Also, buttermilk waffles are like… one of my all time favorites! I used to make them every Saturday morning! Love this!

3. congrats to your friend.

Send larger sized clothes so when people ‘forget’ they have a new baby they will at least have new clothes for them instead of them having the ‘shock’ of having to buy tons of clothes when they are older.

Love the waffles

4. Nanny says:

We were so excited for Lindsay and Lillian is so adorable.
    Sarah and I are getting a waffle maker today and trying this scrumptious recipe out. Lots of fresh berries on the market now.
    See your almost out of syrup ,remind me to bring some down.

5. Congrats to your friend! Waffles are a great way to celebrate such a joyous occasion.

6. Leslie says:

Babies are little miracles. If you really think about it it’s a wonder that any of us came into the world at all. Of course you love your friend’s baby Lillian without even meeting her. That’s how things are supposed to be.

7. I just went through the same thing with my best friend! And I totally understand your new emotions – love, happiness, loss, joy – but I also think as you get older it just happens. Sometimes I’ll catch myself crying over the news!? These waffles look like the perfect comfort food, perfect for all those new emotions πŸ™‚

8. these waffles look simply perfect!! <3 and congrats to your friend!

9. It can be quite overwhelming when you think of a little one – a whole new life coming into this world, but it is lovely, and kudos to all the mothers out there πŸ˜€

You must be stoked! And all seems to be well with mother and daughter yeh? πŸ™‚ That’s good πŸ™‚

These waffles! Yum! I think I have only made buttermilk pancakes once (…I know, the shame!) BUT I have never made waffles with buttermilk, and this here recipe is looking at me…. Mmmm thanks for sharing! xx

10. Aw, congrats to your friend (and you in a round-about way)! You have the better end of that deal. You can love and spoil that baby and then return her to her parents at the end of the day <3 (<– I mean that in the nicest way! lol). Anyways, these buttermilk waffles look delish! I love buttermilk anything. I would totally suck the utter of a cow if it produced buttermilk (<– not really, but you know…). Wish it was the weekend and I was fully moved and unpacked in my new house, because these waffles are calling my name! <3 Cheers to babies and waffle!

haha, you kill me. Good luck unpacking!! I just did the same at the beginning of the month. Wine helps!

I totally know that feeling. My best friend had a baby in December and it is all I can do to not visit him EVERY SECOND. I really feel like he is part mine and I have never loved anyone more than this. It is crazy!

12. These waffles look amazing! Love the buttermilk- I wish I had a waffle maker πŸ™‚

13. Congrats to your friend!!! so happy for her!! babies are glorious!! I say, if she’s a good friend, check in with her. . call her, let her know you are thinking of her. . esp if she does not have family close by helping her. . those first few weeks are overwhelming to say the least. . I enjoyed visits from friends, with notice .. and yes, by all means, when you are there, do the dishes! πŸ™‚ I love these waffles and the photos are beautiful!

14. Congratulations to your friend! It’s exciting when your friends have babies and they’re still small and squishy πŸ™‚ Perfect way to celebrate with waffles! These looks so delicious… make my breakfast this morning look very sad in comparison haha. I need to invest in one of these waffle griddle appliance things…

15. Love this story! I’m probably the closest one out of my friends to having kids but that’s still a looooong way off. In the meantime I’m doing the same as you – cooking! Haha these look wonderful πŸ™‚

16. Lindsay says:

Well now you went and made me cry! Now that we’re back at home with Lillian, I was able to catch up on the blog posts that I missed and this one looks especially delish πŸ™‚ Love you to pieces Katrina and I can’t wait for you to meet Lillian!!!!
    P.S. Thank you to everyone who posted congratulations above – we are loving every second of baby time πŸ™‚

17. Patrizia says:

Congrats to your friend!! πŸ™‚ Seeing a tiny and sweet child is half a shock and half a coup-du-coeur! Lots of emotions crowding a heart πŸ™‚
    And these waffles! Love them! Just a question: and what if I’m preparing the batter at 10pm and cooking them at 9am? Will the batter become too thick? :/ I’m planning it for this weekend πŸ˜€ thanks in advance and thanks for sharing!
    P.S. sorry for the disconnected English, I’m Italian and at 8am in the morning I just can’t be able to connect all my linguistic skills ^.^

Patrizia

haha, your English is fine!! I think the batter would not work out, actually, which sucks. These waffles should be made the same day the batter is made, which leaves you with two options:
      1. Make all the waffles with the batter the day before, cool them on a wire rack until room temp, freeze them, and re-heat them in the morning in the oven.
      2. Try some yeasted waffles. I have this recipe, which is really delicious, and all you need to do is remove the blueberries from the mix if you’re not into them!!

18. Hi Katrina, I mixed the wet and dry ingredients separately and added a few tablespoons sugar. I then blended the wet and dry without over-mixing. I didn’t think 1/2 teaspoon was too much salt. Perhaps with white flour it might be. We had them with raspberry freezer jam, vanilla Greek yogurt, and whipped cream and real maple syrup. It came out really delicious! πŸ™‚

19. We are on the same buttermilk breakfast train! These waffles look fantastic! And my niece’s name is Lillian πŸ™‚

20. i never get tired of buttermilk waffles!! these look heavenly.