Diiiiiiiiip!!! I love dip.

onion dip

Mostly because it’s one of those foods that can be eaten as a snack, as lunch, as dinner…or you know? Second breakfast.

onion dip

And I love dip of all kinds whether it’s hot or cold.

No discrimination here.

onion dip

This dip is a classic onion chip dip made with sour cream. I caramelized the onions to add some texture, but the caramelization also adds some sweetness which I really like in my chip dips.

onion dip

Paired with some plain chips and carrots, a beer, and a good show to watch and I am one happy lady.

onion dip

Onion Dip

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 55 minutes

Total Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 large yellow onions, chopped
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Pinch coarse sea salt
  • A few cracks of pepper
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • Pinch of celery salt
  • Chips, veggies or baguette slices, for serving

1. Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and thyme. Let cook until onions are very soft and caramel in colour, about 40-45 minutes.
  2. Add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and let cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove pot from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
  3. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer or with a hand mixer, beat together cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add cooled onions and celery salt and stir to combine.
  4. Transfer to refrigerator to chill at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks.
  5. Serve with plain chips or fresh veggies.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

28 Responses to Onion Dip

1. This is one of my all-time favorites! I think it’s the first and maybe the only dip we ever ate growing up…the Lipton onion soup with sour cream…thank you for this Rolls Royce of onion dips!

2. This looks creamy and indulgent! The only problem with it is that I probably couldn’t stop eating it after one dip…

3. Onion dip is my husband’s favourite! I think I’ll surprise him with a bowl of this one on the weekend. Great football watching food šŸ™‚

4. Mmm, I bet the caramelized onions really take this over the top! I’m tempted to make this “second breakfast” right now… šŸ˜‰

5. Amanda says:

This dip looks amazing!

6. Nanny says:

Nothing better than ripple chips with onion dip.

7. CakeSpy says:

Now I have that 90’s song in my head: “I put my hand upon your hip, when I dip you dip we dip.”

8. I love onion dip, it is the best. I haven’t had that in eons, and your recipe looks so good, I need to make it soon! Dip in some form is the best kind of meal!

9. Alycia @ Food Blogit says:

My husband eats sooo much dip. I will have to make this for him! Thanks for sharing!!

10. I simply love a great onion dip and this looks so delish

11. jessie says:

This looks incredible! I’m making this for my next Netflix binge šŸ™‚

12. Diiiiiiip! Yip yip, I’m all up for that šŸ˜€ This looks amazing, and heck – I’d even say that you could have this as a toast topper for breakfast too! Getting one of your five a day in an awesome way like this, mmm ^ ^ I love the pictures too, and serving suggesting accompanied by beer in hand and a good show or a movie šŸ™‚
    I hope you are having a lovely evening Missus! šŸ™‚ x

13. I’m always up for dip for any meal of the day as well. Hand me a plateful of vegetables and a good dip and I’m all set!

14. I love onion dip and this looks incredible! I love that you used caramelized onions and fresh ingredients.

15. Mary Frances says:

I love seeing everyone’s favorite Super Bowl recipes, they all look so delicious!

16. I seriously need to make a dip sometime soon. This looks amazing!

17. This is such a great Super Bowl recipe! Onion dip is a classic and for a good reason! Looks great šŸ™‚

18. YUM. I’ve never had homemade non-soup-packet onion dip before!

You forgot to mention that dip calories don’t count = another plus for dip! I mean, they don’t right?

I want ALL OF THIS.

20. Caramelized onion dip is the best! Love the use of the Worcestershire sauce!

21. laura says:

you had me at dip. it should definitely be a food group šŸ™‚

22. […] Caramelized Onion, Black Bean and Cheddar Frittata Onion Chip Dip Rustic Sweet Onion Tart One Pot French Onion Pasta by Joy the Baker Caramelized Balsamic Onion and […]