It’s December guys. I have exactly 9 days left in Sicily and I am soooooo ready for the holidays (but maybe not the cold).

IMG_2391

Sicily seems to be ready for the holidays too. It’s strange for a Canadian to see a bunch of Christmas trees being sold in a place without snow (or actual “cold” weather), but it’s nice that everyone is getting into the spirit.

rome13

At the beginning of November, Paul and I stayed put in Palermo, but towards the end of the month we seemed to be jetting off every couple of days with trips to Rome, Naples, Toarmina, and Monreale.

naples-6

I jested about eating pizza for lunch and dinner for every day I was in Naples, but I wasn’t kidding…it really happened. Between the two of us, 13 pizzas were consumed in 5 days. I don’t know what kind of crazy that is…but Neapolitan pizza is the best in the world, and since we won’t be back for a while we wanted to make the most of our time in the pizza capital!

pizza

I went to Rome and Taormina on my own. Rome was more of a “I haven’t ever been and need to go” type trip, but Taormina was a true “getaway”. I wanted to go somewhere with a coast as long as my eyes could see, somewhere up in the mountains, and somewhere quiet….it definitely delivered. Taormina is stunning, one of the most beautiful cities in Sicily, and I can’t recommend it enough.

toa2

Sicilian Sundays seemed to disappear in November since I was running around Italy, but I did manage to post about a banana split, caponata, and the parking situation here. I’ve got a few fun Sicilian recipes ready for you, but honestly, I need time to perfect them. My recent attempt of arancini was delicious, but not the quality you’d find on the street in Palermo. Back to the kitchen I go!

I did manage to make lots of other delicious food on the blog in November! My favorite recipe was my caponata siciliana. A true Sicilian recipe and my new obsession!

Caponata Siciliana

Also, I also made a blog discovery, and am totally pumped over it. Check out Simmer and Shoot for Nicole’s gorgeous recipes. This caramel apple pie is so pretty I want to kiss it!

pie
Photo by: Simmer and Shoot

Other November Stuff?

Still watching Carrie go crazy on Homeland and zombies on The Walking Dead.

Completely obsessed with the Serial podcast. The week off for Thanksgiving killed me.

This series interests me…just going to put it out there.

And lastly, half my hair is gone. When I sent a picture a picture to my Nanny she laughed and said “well, I guess you really are a married lady now”! Ha!

That’s all folks. Have a great December!!

28 Responses to November Things

1. I live in a place that doesn’t get snow for Christmas (OR EVER) and i 100 percent agree that it’s nice to see people get all festive without it. I’m so jealous of all of your travels. Maybe someday…..
    Oh, and thanks for sharing such a great new blog find, I love those!

2. Laura says:

Um, I live in Buffalo and we got 6 feet of snow the other day. School was closed down for a whole week and we were all snowed bound in our homes. No one was allowed to leave their houses. And yet my husband was wondering if Chipotle was still open? It’s like, duh.

I saw what was going on in your city on the news and couldn’t believe it! Happy to hear you’re ok, and think it’s hilarious your husband wanted to go to Chipotle!! Men…..gee whiz! Has some of the snow melted now??

3. That pizza looks AH-mazing! Enjoy the rest of your time in Sicily!

4. Love seeing all of your photos from Sicily and just Italy in general . . I’ve always wanted to visit. . and yes to eating pizza for lunch and dinner everyday! Neapolitan pizza is the best in the world, so I hear! Truth!

I wish you could have visited! I definitely would have shown you around. At least if you plan to make it to Sicily in the future I can help you pick fun places to go πŸ™‚

5. Katrina, can I please borrow a day out of your Italian life, please?! Especially if all that pizza is involved πŸ™‚ What a lovely getaway (and, seriously, bravo on all those pizza pies–you are my hero)!

6. The new hairdo really suits you Katrina! πŸ˜€ It sounds like it has been a marvelous month for you, and yes – you did post a fair few delicious recipes up despite being busy eating ALL the pizza (can’t say I blame you, yum!).
    Only a week and a bit left? Make the most of it m’dear πŸ˜€ x

7. wow Sicily looks breathtakingly beautiful!

8. Can’t wait to see whats in store for December basing it off these amazing photos!

9. Adri says:

It certainly sounds like life in Italy agrees with you!

10. I’d love to visit Sicily some day. Sounds like you’re having the time of your life πŸ™‚ Enjoy the rest of the your stay there!

11. That pizza does look delicious and I will check out Simmer and Shoot. Enjoy the rest of your time in Italy. πŸ™‚

12. I’m used to hot Christmas’s (they normally rain and smell like bush fires but are never cold… ever!) every year I always wish I was away somewhere in a lovely little cottage for a white Christmas!

13. Sugar et al. says:

Sounds like you are having an amazing time! Forget snow..we have a warm Christmas on our side of the world. It’s summer in Australia! Hope you have heaps of fun for the rest of your stay as well.

14. Ha ha…yes I too am having Serial withdrawals from this past week! Gorgeous photos and jealous of your pizza consumption!

15. Amanda says:

It would have been a crime not to eat all that pizza πŸ™‚

16. cavoletto says:

That’s funny, I traded my italian (roman, actually) life for an newyorker life a some time ago, this is going to be my first christmas in the US and I totally love the atmosphere (and yes, even the cold!! :-)… I do share the devoted love for Sicily – and caponata!! Also, while you’re there load up the bottarga (and the sun! πŸ™‚

17. You are making me SO crazy jealous right now! It’s been a couple years since I was in Italy, and it was probably my favorite place I’ve ever traveled to. Now I want to go back so bad! And stuff my face with pizza, pasta, and wine. Enjoy the rest of your time!

18. I am loving all these photos and the food looks amazing. Wonderful post

19. todd wagner says:

Loving the Sicily pics! Enjoy the rest of your stay, Katrina!!

20. Alana says:

Katrina, it looks like life in Sicily has been a dream!! Have the greatest last 8 days imaginable and travel back safe! xx

21. Awwwww, your pictures are beautiful!! Thank you for sharing…that pizza?! OMG!

I am new here and found you through another blog I was reading and I’m so glad I did!

xxoo
    Kris

Oh man, it is CRAZY how time flies!!

23. I am really enjoying your photos and your point of view comments about Sicily.