Annnnnnnnd we’re off! To Naples, that is. We are currently on a 9 hour train ride from Palermo and hope to be in the big city by 4pm this evening. There will be pizza for lunch and dinner every day…not kidding.
We’re taking the train instead of flying because it’s half the price and well, we’re cheap. Worth it? I’ll tell you later. But we ARE on some sort of train that goes on a ferry boat eventually, so that should be interesting.
We also took an early train, which is fine and all, but since nothing is open in the early mornings for breakfast, we needed some grab and go food! Muffins and granola bars are great for this, but for a 9 hour trip without stopping we wanted something to keep us full.
Enter these overnight oats! Made in a jar, this breakfast is packed with morning goodness. It’s got loads of oats, chia seeds, yogurt, bananas, and pecans to help keep you full. And what I really love about this recipe, is how customizable it is.
Really, you can swap a lot of the ingredients for your favs or add a few extras on top of what I’ve listed in the recipe. A sprinkle of dried cranberries would have been wise for this, but I forgot. Whoops!
I absolutely love this breakfast no matter what time of year it is, and I hope you like it too.
It is: creamy, healthy, hearty, and has a bit of crunch from the pecans and chia seeds.
I’m in love!
Have a great weekend everyone! xx
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup 0% vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana (one half mashed and one half sliced)
- Chopped pecans, for serving
- Brown sugar, for serving
- In a small mason jar, or jar of choice, combine the oats, chia seeds, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add in the milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla.
- Slice the banana in half and save one half for tomorrow*. Mash the other half with a fork and add it to the jar with the oats. Stir everything together and place the lid on the jar and give the mixture a good shake to combine the ingredients. Place the lid back on the jar and refrigerate overnight.
- You can serve oats either right from the jar or in a bowl. Simply serve with a sprinkle of chopped pecans, half of a banana sliced, and some brown sugar if desired.
*If you don't like the idea of saving the sliced banana for the next day, feel free to add it on top of your oats right in the mason jar before putting it in the fridge!
Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats