Nutella is cheap in Sicily. It’s easy to find, not expensive and absolutely delicious.

Single Lady Banana Split

I put it on pretty much everything that I can. Including breakfast.

Single Lady Banana Split

I have recently started buying all of my produce from the same vendor. He packs my stuff in newspaper and always throws something in for free. I’ve been going to him for six weeks now, and finally, a week ago, we communicated.

“Di dove sei?” He asked.
“Canada” I replied. Hoping he just asked me what I thought he did.

Parli italiano?” He asked.
Nooooooo” I said, and luckily there was another man who worked there and spoke to me in perfect English “hey, I’ve seen you before, I thought you were Polish“!
Oh, that’s interesting, but nope, I’m Canadian” I said.

Anyway, after chatting with the guy who spoke English and then having him translate to the vendor little things like how long I am in Palermo and why I am here, the vendor exclaimed “tu appartieni a me!“, which literally means “you belong to me“.

Being told this by a Sicilian vendor is an honour. It means from that day on, the two of you have an unwritten pact. One where the customer always buys from that vendor, and the vendor, in turn, will give the customer free things once and a while and reduce the price of their food. I am so pleased! And now I have so many plums and no counter space. Definitely nothing to complain about.

Single Lady Banana Split

This week has been pretty low key. On Friday Paul and I took a 40 minute bus to Monreale to pick up some bread (yes we have amazing bread in Palermo too, but this place is famous for baking it on olive branches in a wood fire oven!!) and to see its positively gorgeous Cathedral, built in 1182. It was a stunning!

monreale

I’m home this weekend while my stink bug loving husband works all day, so naturally snacking came about! Plus, I had lots of Nutella, fresh plums, and pistachios, like you do in Sicily…and here we are. A single lady banana split.

Also, today I am teaming up with a few bloggers for part of The Spiffy Cookie‘s #SingleServingSundays! I’ll let you decide what you want the word “single” to mean, but for me it means I’m alone, I have lots of delicious Italian food, I’m hungry and totally unwilling to share.

Single Lady Banana Split

In this single serving banana split we have bananas and vanilla yogurt topped with fresh plums, Nutella, jam and shelled pistachios. Enjoy it for breakfast or a snack!

Single Lady Banana Split

SSS

And I have friends following the single serving recipe trend! Sooooo be sure to check out some other recipes from some awesome bloggers as well! We’ve got:

Single Lady Banana Split

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 1 banana split

• 1 banana
  • 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tbsp strawberry jam (or jam of choice)
  • 1 tbsp Nutella
  • 1 tbsp shelled pistachios
  • 1 plum, sliced

1. Peel the banana, split it lengthwise, and then cut it in half to have four slices. Lay the halves in a shallow bowl and spoon a bit of yogurt on top.
  2. Warm the jam in the microwave until it is runny (about 15 seconds). Warm the Nutella the same way.
  3. Drizzle the warm jam and warm Nutella over the yogurt and sprinkle the pistachios on top. Top everything off with sliced fresh plums and enjoy!

48 Responses to Sicilian Sundays: Single Lady Banana Split

1. Leslie says:

I love these Sicilian Sunday posts, and Nutella. Our neighbour Roz used to put Nutella in the mailbox every Christmas for Paul and Allie.

2. I’m all for a single serving of banana split—That way I wouldn’t have to share. 😉 This looks amazing!

3. I lived on Nutella in France. This looks amazing!! I could live on this too.

4. I’m glad I found your blog, I love reading stuff about other countries! So neat to hear about other traditions. And this banana split looks amazing, I love that is’t healthy but sounds decadent!

5. I remember buying about 15 peaches in Sicily and it cost $3.50. My sister and I were BAFFLED! So nice that you have your go-to-guy now. You’re turning into a true Sicilian!

6. Haha yea single for me in single serving sundays just means it makes one serving. Even though I lived on my own I usually wasn’t cooking for just me since my bf lived with me for awhile. Thanks for joining me! Love this banana split.

7. Woah. This looks like the perfect single serve treat!! Time to indulge a little bit 🙂

8. Awh I loved your little story about the salesman, that is so nice! Proper old-school customer service right there 🙂 I hope I get to go to Sicily some day 🙂 I have only been to the North of Italy before.
    And this…banana split, wowsers – this looks like something for me…and anyone else I bet 😀 Thanks for sharing, as always 🙂 x

9. Funny story about the salesman! Speaking of nutella, I love ‘gianduja’ which is a traditional chocolate-hazelnut paste from Piedmont, and essentially the original Nutella (also a local product of Piedmont). Just like the locals, we love anything with gianduja! I had a vegan nutella in Torino and it was absolutely amazing.

10. Nothing beats a great banana split. Love this!

11. Nutella definitely brings me back to my lunch every single day in elementary school haha. You’d think I wouldn’t want to look at it ever again, but it’s quite the opposite! You know Nutella got their recipe right when… :p
    This looks absolutely delicious, what a great idea to pair with it with peaches!

What a sweet story about that vendor! I love how things are done over there…I wish we had those relationships here! And this looks heavenly my dear!

13. That looks so good and it’s healthy. I love using yogurt as a base for quick snacks. I’m enjoying getting to know about Italy from your blog. It’s on the top of my list of places I want travel to.

14. Oh this looks so good! I love the combo of fruit, nuts and hazelnutty chocolate! I could devour this entire bowl – delicious!

15. What a great story – how cool that you have an unwritten pact with a Sicilian vendor 🙂 And that cathedral is absolutely breathtaking! I honestly could never get tired of walking around and basking in all the gorgeousness of Italy!!

And I love this single lady banana split (and how cheap Nutella is there!) – it looks like the perfect single lady treat! Love it!

Haha is Paul jealous that you “belong” to another man? 😛 I’d say any man that gives me free/reduced price produce can have me! But don’t tell Mike.

Love this single lady banana split! More healthy than most and totally satisfies that junk food craving.

17. This is the best single serve dessert, but since it has nutella I would double the recipe for me and still call it single serve 🙂

18. From one Nutella lover to another, this looks absolutely amazing!

19. That vendor relationship is really special! When I lived in Rome, my favourite gelateria downstairs from our apartment gave me bigger and bigger servings every single time I went back. Here in Ontario some of the farmer’s market stalls and I have that happy rapport where I can get discounts, or go up and be like “what can I get for 5 dollars?”

I haven’t had a banana split since I was a kid. Thanks for the reminder!

I’m from Ontario!! Deep River, actually, but we didn’t have a farmers market when I was growing up since our town was so small. Apparently there is one now, and I’m so happy to hear…I’m sure it would be the same “what can I get for this much?” type thing!

20. Your story with the vendor caused a big smile. Whenever I buy bananas off my street vendor he always sneaks in a few extras, I always thank him a million times. This banana split looks amazing.

21. All of your Sicilian Sunday posts have me wanting to visit!!! It’s too funny that being claimed by a vendor is such a high honor – but I get it! Italians are serious about their food. Love this simple banana split!

22. Beautiful photos, Katrina. I am new to your site and can’t wait to look at all your recipes.

23. Katrina, this is pretty much better than having a bag named in your honor, now that you belong to this vendor! What a cool experience 🙂 And yes, bring on the Nutella, especially if it adorns a banana split (and a healthy one at that)!

24. Karen says:

That’s such a cool story about the vendor! Lucky you with a counter full of plums. 😉
    The banana split looks amazing !!!

25. Yummm this sounds incredible to me. And I am so envious of your Sicilian adventures!! Sounds like such a dream. Enjoy, beauty! And I am going to be making this asap. 🙂

26. Another fun post—–I am also envious. It’s fun to hear your adventures.

27. Karishma says:

This is an amazing combination of delicious foods….bananas, nutella, yogurt, pistachios..can’t go wrong!!

That’s so sweet of your vendor to give you free stuff.

28. That’s such an awesome story about the vendor! Just found your site and love your gorgeous photos! This banana split looks amazing!

29. What a great idea! And such a great combination 🙂 I fell a little bit too in love with nutella in Italy, I had to go on a detox when I got back. But i’m definitely ready to get back into it!

30. Oh I am loving this! Looks so delicious!

31. Amanda says:

This looks fantastic!!!

32. Ahhhh! Perfect indulgence! Sounds delicious!!

33. Erika says:

Ohh this looks amazing!

34. CakeSpy says:

I like this “don’t like to share” banana split. 🙂 I like the way you think!

35. Hey Katrina!

Banana splits – one of my all-time favorite indulgences! This photo definitely caught my eye. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

A random question: what is it about your current vendor that made you settle with getting your produce from him/her? Is it the prices or do they have goods that match your recipe style? Just asking cause we love testing out different vendors at the South Melbourne market nearby!

Also, that photo of the Cathedral looks gorgeous. I love the smells of old buildings, the hues of sunshine filtering through tinted glass. Reminds me of the time my wife and I went to Notre Dame. 🙂

Sending love your way from Melbourne!

36. …..I might have had this for breakfast today… just maybe ^ ^ Will link you once it’s up on my blog 😀 It was a real treat, especially since I hadn’t had Nutella in aaaages! I can imagine it’d work really well with peanut butter instead as well though, mmmm. Will definitely make it again in the near future, I even told my flatmate we could buy a big glass of Nutella so we both had easy access to the stuff – too good! x

37. Jasmin says:

Hey Katrina,
    I found your blog because of lovely banana split photos… So far, I had nutella for breakfast only with my crepes – guess, I’ll have to try this nutella breakfast version too 🙂

38. This was too good! Perfect treat for anytime of the day/week 😀 Got around to posting it today at last!
    I hope you approve 🙂 Will definitely be making this again 🙂 x

39. […] 9. Single Lady Banana Split “Single Lady Banana Split” is an appropriate name here — you are not going to want to share this scrumptious dessert with another person. A modern twist on the classic banana split, this version includes yogurt instead of ice cream, topped with fresh plums, Nutella, jam and pistachios. Photo and recipe: Kartrina / Warm Vanilla Sugar […]

40. […] 9. Single Lady Banana Split “Single Lady Banana Split” is an appropriate name here — you are not going to want to share this scrumptious dessert with another person. A modern twist on the classic banana split, this version includes yogurt instead of ice cream, topped with fresh plums, Nutella, jam and pistachios. Photo and recipe: Kartrina / Warm Vanilla Sugar […]

41. […] 9. Single Lady Banana Split“Single Lady Banana Split” is an suitable name here — we are not going to wish to share this delicious dessert with another person. A complicated turn on a classical banana split, this chronicle includes yogurt instead of ice cream, surfaced with uninformed plums, Nutella, jam and pistachios. Photo and recipe: Kartrina / Warm Vanilla Sugar […]