Based off of my favorite vegan pumpkin bread, I bring you these muffins.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

Because chocolate makes everything better.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

I love using old recipes to create new things. All I did for these was swap out the pecans for chocolate chips and added the batter into a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

I’m a cheater and I know it. BUT! I posted the recipe for pumpkin bread back in 2012 and needed to remind you of its awesomeness. It’s one of my favorites, after all.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

Are you guys sick of pumpkin yet? I’m out of the loop. As I’ve mentioned, I can’t seem to find canned pumpkin (there are just these weird GIANT green pumpkins at the market) so luckily I made a few recipes before I left for Sicily to share with you. This is the last of my pumpkin recipes for the season, and it is a total keeper.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

These muffins are the best. They’re vegan (a happy coincidence, really), spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves, and are sweetened with good ol’ maple syrup. True love, really.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

I can only hope you like these as much as I do.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

But since we’re friends, I know you will.

vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

• 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 15-ounce can (just under 1 cup) pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus extra for sprinkling on top*
  • granulated sugar, for sprinkling (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin tin or line with paper and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, and water.
  4. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Fold the ingredients together using a spatula, making sure to incorporate the flour mixture well, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  5. Divide the batter in your muffin pan and arrange a few extra chocolate chips on top. Sprinkle with some granulated sugar.
  6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes, and then take the muffins out and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Recipe adapted from this bread

*To keep this recipe vegan, use vegan chocolate chips

35 Responses to Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins

1. These look like the perfect breakfast to me! Wish I had one right now with my morning cup of coffee!

2. Yessss!! Pumpkin + chocolate chips is always a good idea…..especially in the morning πŸ™‚

3. Chocolate sure does make everything better! These look delish!

4. You had me at hello…well, actually at, “chocolate makes everything better.” Indeed! These look awesome!

5. These muffins look awesome – I love your cupcake liners! I also like to add maple to my pumpkin bread recipes.

6. I will never be over pumpkin. Never. These look delicious!!!!

7. Christine says:

I know it can be tough to not be able to find an ingredient while away from home that you’re used to having so readily, but I honestly love the differences like this when I travel somewhere new – one of my favourite things is to pop into the markets and food shops when I travel, looking for ingredients that I can bring home with me. For those giant green pumpkins … are they orange inside? At my farmer’s market the other day, I bought a squash (of some sort) that looks like an ugly rustic dark green pumpkin am I’m kind of excited to roast it up haha.. maybe your green pumpkin could be made into something good! These muffins look great. I’m definitely not over the pumpkin recipes yet. The more the better! πŸ˜‰

They are orange inside! I roasted one yesterday with some olive oil and salt and it tasted just lovely! Thanks for your nice comment Christine πŸ™‚

8. sippitysup says:

I’m always tweaking fav old recipes. In fact my current Pumpkin cocktail is a tweak on a cocktail from my book. It’s good to grow. GREG

9. Gorgeous photos and cute cupcake liners! SO glad these are vegan πŸ™‚

10. These will be so darn tasty for breakfast or even evening snack girl!! Pinned!

11. I love using old old recipes as well, and you definitely made these your own! I’d probably have both nuts and chocolates in these, mmm they look fantastic πŸ˜€ Thanks for the idea! x

12. cheri says:

Hi Katrina, love these cupcakes, beautiful presentation!

13. Pumpkin and chocolate chips are perfect together. A great way to start the day!

14. Glad you “cheated” because now we have these awesome muffins. Any way I can have chocolate at breakfast time is a win in my book!

15. Elizabeth @ Enjoy Every Bite says:

Oh those look delicious! I’m trying to get as much chocolate + pumpkin as I can these days!

16. These muffins looks great. I how they aren’t overpowered with pumpkin puree.

17. These muffins look just lovely – I am loving their crunchy top! And chocolate just makes everything better i think! πŸ™‚

18. These muffins look so amazing! Anything pumpkin and chocolate is a winner with me πŸ™‚

19. Broma Bakery says:

I tooootally do that with old recipes. Sometimes, they’re just too good you NEED to share them again! Also, it’s a sure sign for me that I should make these babies stat

20. Ordinary J says:

These muffins look and sound delicious. How did you get the chocolate chips to stay in shape on the muffins instead of getting buried inside or melted to become out of shape?

No special method, honestly. I waited until the muffins completely cooled before photographing them! That usually works.

21. I am seeing pumpkin muffins every where at the moment and I still haven’t tried them before. Yours looks delicious, I can’t wait to make them πŸ™‚

22. These muffins look amazing, Katrina! Never tried pumpkin muffins, but I will definitely be giving this recipe a go! πŸ˜€

23. Pumpkin Perfection!
    These look marvelous for any season!

I want my mornings to be filled with these! And my nights, because DESSERT.

25. These are so beautiful! They look very easy to make too. I love how high they fluffed up! Yum!

26. Yum!! These look amazing

27. Oooh, I’d love to pair one of these with a big cup of tea. They look scrumptious!

28. Sugar et al. says:

Healthy deliciousness…how can it not be a favourite! And spices..they can only take sweet treats to a different level. They look fantastic!

29. […] hard! BUT! If I had to choose, I’d pick my homemade fudgy almond butter granola bars (but my chocolate chip pumpkin muffins are right up there with them)! October was all about sweet […]