It’s my second week in Palermo, and I still have so much to explore.
On Monday I started work, so I’ve only been able to walk around in evenings passing by new gelateria’s and pasticceria’s every few minutes. It’s amazing how big this place is and even more amazing how many foods I need to try! I can’t tell you how much fun it is though, so I’m really enjoying my “Sicilian Sundays” posts, where I share my experiences here as well as a traditional Sicilian recipe.
Today I’m sharing a recipe for pie that is stuffed with bourbon, pecans and dark chocolate.
Essentially heaven in a buttery crust.
Making a perfect pie is a beautiful thing. Truly. A lot of work and love go into the dough, and making sure the filling sets just right takes time. It took me years to realize that baking a pie wasn’t something I just did for anyone, they had to be someone who was special to me.
The special someone this pie was baked for is my friend Lindsay. She got married in May, and like the laid back girl she is, she asked a few friends and family to bake desserts instead of having a giant wedding cake. I decided to take pie duty, since it’s my favorite dessert, and this was one of the special treats I baked for my girl.
I must say, this is hands down, one of the best pies I’ve ever made. The filling is perfectly gooey like a classic pecan pie and it has chopped dark chocolate dotted on the inside making this beauty burst with flavour.
I’m so happy I was asked to make this for such a special occasion. Weddings are so blown up these days, so it was nice to be invited to one that was completely laid back and shining with class at the same time. You can check out the pictures here, actually. I can’t look at them without bawling my eyes out.
Wishing you all a lovely weekend!
Lindsay Loo, this one’s for you.
- 1/2 recipe pie crust (or 1 pie shell), chilled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp good bourbon
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 heaping cup chopped pecans
- 100g coarsely chopped dark chocolate (equivalent to one dark chocolate bar)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Roll out pie crust to 1/8 inch thick, fit to 9 inch pie dish and crimp edges if desired. Chill un-baked pie crust until ready to use.
- To make the filling, whisk together sugar, corn syrup, salt, eggs, vanilla extract, bourbon, and melted butter in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Sprinkle pecans and chocolate around the bottom of the pie shell and pour the filling over the chocolate and nuts.
- Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet and place it in the oven on the centre rack. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes (until the pie looks puffed and jiggles uniformly).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating (this pie is best served cold several hours after baking or the following day).