I am so freaking excited. Today a bunch of bloggers and I are celebrating our sweet friend Stephanie from Girl Versus Dough!! She is having her first baby next month, so a group of us have gotten together to throw her a virtual surprise baby shower. ’cause, you know? Babies are awesome.

pecan sticky buns // warm vanilla sugar

Since Steph is a lover of all things doughy and buttery and sugary, I figured these sticky buns would be PERFECT for the party, and I hope she agrees!

pecan sticky buns // warm vanilla sugar

These sticky buns are absolutely lovely. They stray a bit from the traditional sticky bun in that they are made with a challah bread dough and a sticky honey goo. Honey makes me swoon.

pecan sticky buns // warm vanilla sugar

There’s something so satisfying about a cinnamon roll of any kind. I love watching the dough rise, rolling it up, and watching it bake up into the pan. Just look at those swirls!

pecan sticky buns // warm vanilla sugar

Waiting is haaaaaaard. But can be done. Plus, these were baked for a baby, so I totally knew this recipe was worth it.

pecan sticky buns // warm vanilla sugar

It’s not just me celebrating Steph today, there are a bunch of us!!

gvd baby shower graphic

Be sure to check out all the fun food from the below bloggers and come join our party!

Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes from Sarcastic Cooking

• 1/4 tsp salt
  • For the sticky buns:
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 1 cup toasted pecan halves

1. For the dough, combine the bread flour, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. In a 2-cup measuring cup, add the honey, oil, and eggs. Add enough warm water to reach the 2-cup mark. Stir everything together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and turn on your stand mixer with the dough hook. Allow to mix until the dough comes together (it does this rather quickly - about 2-3 minutes). The dough will be lumpy and very sticky - that's normal. Set aside.
  2. For the sticky stuff, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and cook until combined. Take the butter mixture off of the heat, and whisk in the honey, cream, water, and salt. Let cool for 30 minutes (sticky mixture can be left it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks).
  3. When you're ready to make your rolls, pour the sticky mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan. Scatter some the whole pecans on top of the sticky goo.
  4. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle.
  5. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. Scatter the sugar mixture over the dough. Roll the dough up, trim off the ends, and slice into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place the rolls cut side up on top of the sticky stuff. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel, and let proof until almost doubled in size, about 2 hours.
  6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes. The rolls will be golden brown.
  7. Let the buns cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Do not rush this step, if the goo does not cool a bit, the goo will run all over the place. Place a platter on top of the baking dish and quickly and carefully flip it over.
  8. These are best eaten right away. But you can reheat them in a 325 oven for about 10 minutes.

Recipe adapted from Baked Bree

59 Responses to Pecan Sticky Buns {and a virtual baby shower}!

1. […] Pecan Sticky Buns from Warm Vanilla Sugar […]

2. Aww, how fun! These sticky buns look like the most perfect way to celebrate too! They look amazing!

3. This sticky buns are a DREAM.

4. *melts* these look amazing! That’s so nice of you to rattle up something delicious for her big day! X

5. I am drinking coffee and wishing I had a bite of this to go with!! Yum!

6. Ahhh, I LOVE these sticky buns! And this shower! What a fun surprise. Thank you so much, sweet friend!

7. molly yeh says:

oh snap girl, these are gorgeous! yay for stephanie!!!!

8. Awww, how wonderful for Steph! We’re both expecting May baby girls, and I’m so happy for her!! These sticky buns are perfect for sharing with a friend with a “bun” in the oven. Amazing recipe, Katrina!

9. Love these sticky buns! Great idea to use honey!

10. Julia says:

I’ve never wanted my hands to be sticky so badly in my life! These sticky buns look amazing – the perfect treat to celebrate Steph’s big day 🙂

11. Delicious, Pinned it! Definitely for me to make:)

12. All of that caramel? To die for! YUM!

13. Carmen says:

I am CRAVING a cinnamon roll. I literally JUMPED on your recipe when I saw it in my news feed. Maybe I’ll just have to make THESE instead of buying one at Starbucks. Pecans sound good!

14. Cindy says:

I LOVE honey and pecans and sticky buns. A pan of these near me right now would be in danger, for sure.

Ugh I love sticky buns!! haha You are making me want one right now : ) These are definitely the perfect way to celebrate!

16. Wow, these look so gooey and amazing! What a treat!

17. Skye says:

Gosh, these buns look out of this world. All sticky and sugary and yummy.
    Big congratulations to Steph, and yay – babies are awesome!

18. lemon and blueberry coffee cake with lemon drizzle says:

[…] Pecan Sticky Buns from Warm Vanilla Sugar […]

19. Nothing says “celebrate” like sticky fingers! Love these.

20. Oh man, these look SO amazing! Sticky and wonderful! Yay for babies and delicious treats!

21. I now have a gigantic sticky bun craving – these look like ooey gooey perfection! Any chance you could send me one (or five)?

22. Sticky buns are my favorite! I’ve made them with brioche but I don’t think I’ve tried them with challah. I need to do that ASAP.

23. How wonderful. These sticky buns look amazing. Mid afternoon snack attack.

24. Warm Vanilla Sugar | Pecan Sticky Buns {and a virtual baby shower}! says:

[…] http://warmvanillasugar.com/2014/04/09/pecan-sticky-buns-and-a-virtual-baby-shower/ […]

25. JanetFCTC says:

These look absolutely amazing! I am with you on honey making one swoon. I keep it in the house by practically the gallon lol. And this looks like a perfect way to use some of it!

26. Omggggg these are dreamy!! Absolutely perfect for Steph and her baby shower 🙂

27. Wow these look so good! Thick, gooey and delicious! I will have to try!

Who DOESN’T love sticky buns?! And honey glaze. And basically all that is good in this world. These are awesome!

29. Woah. I want these so badly! They look amazing!

30. Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out says:

SHUT the front door. Challah bread dough made into sticky buns?? Sweet dreams are made of these buns. Thank you so much for joining in the baby shower love today!

31. These sticky buns look beyond amazing! I so need to try the recipe- looks divine!

32. laurasmess says:

Ohhhhh… sticky honey challah deliciousness! And all for the very best of causes, so happy for Steph and Elliott! Love this virtual shower. So exciting x

33. Trisha says:

It’s so amazing! I can almost taste how wonderfully sticky it is!! I absolutely must try this x

34. julia says:

All of these delicious baby shower recipes are making me hungry! If only we could get together in real life!

35. Helene says:

I love the idea of a virtual baby shower so much, this is such a perfect treat for the event!

36. My gosh, my mouth watered after seeing these pictures! Love all the gooey and sweet stickiness!

37. Pure Ella says:

Oh yum! Looks beautiful!!!!!
    I’m sitting here all pregnant myself and would just love to devour that!!! 🙂
    What a sweet party…. Congrats to the new mama 🙂
    Ella

38. These look delicious! Great for Easter too, if you ask me 🙂

39. Ooooo all that oozing!! I am drooling over these.

40. Omg, these are insane. SO.STICKY.MUST.MAKE.THIS.

41. Meredith says:

So delicious, perfect for the weekend!

42. Jaclyn says:

Beautiful photos! I love that sticky stuff – so shiny and perfect!

43. After looking at the pictures and finally perusing the recipe, I have decided that is has been far far far too long since I have made or eaten sticky buns. And if one is going to have sticky buns, well lets don’t be chintzy with the goo. Excellent—and most wonderful as a congratulations for a new baby girl cook coming into the world.

44. Rachel Cooks says:

Oh my gosh — I want to dive into that pan.

45. […] let’s talk about food, shall we? My favorite recipe that I made this month was my pecan sticky buns. They’re sticky, ooey-gooey, made with challah bread dough and are filled with pecans and […]

46. […] Pecan Sticky Buns from Warm Vanilla Sugar […]

47. […] Pecan Sticky Buns from Warm Vanilla Sugar […]

48. […] Pecan Sticky Buns from Warm Vanilla Sugar […]

49. Jill Roberts says:

These sticky buns are look amazing! Legit speechless, these look really unreal!! Gorgeous photos! I found your post from Pinterest ! Thanks for sharing, Katrina!