I have the BIGGEST bags under my eyes right now. Like, ever.

Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas // Warm Vanilla Sugar

I’ve been sleeping at least 7 hours a night, I’m not stressed, I’m eating right, and I’m even having fun, so what gives??? Anyone else notice that as you get older, you need your beauty sleep even more? A meowing kitty at 3am can totally throw things off for me. Mom, I am beginning to understand why you wake up at 5am. Yikes!

Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas // Warm Vanilla Sugar

If you have kids I’m totally giving you the biggest high five right now, because you probably wake up every time they do, you probably have bags under your eyes too, and you’re probably a superstar.

Sooooo, this breakfast is for all those sleepless humans out there who need a pick me up. This tostada seriously made work worth going to. Plus, I’m pretty good at using concealer…so that helps.

Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Breakfast of champions right here. Corn tostadas + black bean mash + avocado + fried eggs + cheese + Sriracha = bitch, please.

Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Have a lovely week everyone! And get some of that sleep!

Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas

Serving Size: 2

Black Bean Mash
  • 2 cups cooked black beans
  • 1/4 cup light sour cream
  • 2 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • Tostada Fixings
  • 4 small corn tostadas
  • 2 tsp coconut oil (olive oil would be fine too)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
  • 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
  • handful of cherry tomatoes, chopped
  • Sriracha or other hot sauce, for serving (optional)

1. Whether cooking the beans from scratch or using canned, drain the beans and add them to a saucepan over low heat and warm through. Add about 1/4 cup tepid water, 1/4 cup of the sour cream, the green onions, cumin, salt, and pepper and mash with a potato masher (or a large fork) until coarsely mashed but not entirely smooth. Taste for salt and pepper and then turn off the heat and keep covered until needed.
  2. Heat a large frying pan with the coconut oil over medium heat. Working in batches as necessary, gently break the eggs in the pan and cook over easy or sunny-side up (however you like your eggs).
  3. Build each tostada by topping with about 1/4 cup of the bean mash, cheese, egg, tomatoes, and avocado slices.
  4. Serve garnished with a spoon of extra sour cream and Sriracha.

25 Responses to Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas

1. Aggie says:

This is so my kind of breakfast! Or lunch, or dinner. :)

Looks amazing!

2. Oh I’ll take one please! Looks perfect!

3. Mmmmm…this looks deeelicious! I would totally eat this for dinner too!

4. This sounds like the perfect breakfast for a lazy Saturday! Can’t wait to try this out. BTW, your pictures look amazing!

5. Jaclyn says:

Anything with avocado and eggs for breakfast is amazing. Yummy!

6. I love these photos, the colors just pop!

7. Adri says:

What a great breakfast, and your photttographs are gorgeous!

8. This looks SO good. I have kids, but luckily they’re older now and I don’t have to get up when they do. I’ve paid my dues! If I wake up in the middle of the night, however, I cannot get back to sleep easily. I’d look forward to the morning if this were waiting for me.

9. Eileen says:

Tostadas for breakfast are the best possible plan! Runny yolk and beans and hot sauce and avocado: yes. Although I would have to go with my beloved Tapatio instead of Sriracha in this particular case! :)

10. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

What a great idea.. Why havent we thought of this before!!!

11. Yes!! I have perma-bag under my eyes these days and I am always wondering where they came from. Hats off to friends with kids – still not sure how they do it! Also – this breakfast? To. die. for. (or at least wake up for)

12. Yes, yes, yes. Sometimes I feel like I need more sleep than my husband, and he has 15 years on me!

Secondly, holy wow is that tostada gorgeous! It has all the delicious things. I laughed when I read “Sriracha, bitch please” :)

13. This is incredible. My bland bowl of oats is looking pretty pathetic now.

14. Oh wow, this looks SO good. I could go for this for breakfast right now!

15. These tostadas could not possibly look more delicious. All of my favorite things!

16. I would love to wake up to THIS! Looks wonderful – great post!

17. Sooo tempting and delicious! This would make for one mouthwatering breakfast!

I’ve been having sleep issues too lately! Maybe something’s in the air. If anything could get me out of bed, it’s these tostadas! Hello gorgeous.

19. jodi stewart says:

Yum! I hope you start to feel better, but I’m glad your baggy eyes inspired this! Looks amazing!

I adore everything about this breakfast! Or a breakfast for dinner : ) I hear ya on the sleep – I feel like the older I get I’m the same way. I’m so cranky now if I don’t get at least 7 hours!

21. Jenny @ BAKE says:

This looks like the breakfast of champions! I’m with you on the under eye bags, no matter how much sleep I get they seem to need more!

This looks like a fabulous breakfast!! I am soooo not a morning person, even though my toddler tries to convince me otherwise. This would be a great way to start the day for sure!

23. This is too adorable! I love the idea of combining rancheros and tostadas. I can just imagine the crunch being the perfect extra nudge on a lazy morning.

24. […] Frittata from Amuse Your Bouche 8. Creamy Greek Scrambled Eggs from Family Fresh Cooking 9. Ranchero Breakfast Tostadas from Warm Vanilla Sugar 10. Shakshuka from […]