Guys, on Thursday night mid-way through episode 4, season 2, of Homeland, my hard drive died. DIED! As in, lost all the photos I’ve taken since 2011, lost all the bookmarks I’ve made from bloggers, lost everything I’ve done since September 2011. I’m swearing all kinds of un-lady-like words right now.
Trust me, I know all about the need to back up your stuff. This has happened before. But you see, I’m kind of lazy and need something BIG to kick me in the butt. Needless to say, my butt has been kicked. HARD. Thank God for Pinterest, Dropbox, Evernote, and iPhones. They have saved my life this week recovering whatever little they could.
The good news?
-My Europe and life in Switzerland photos were saved.
-I got rid of a LOT of clutter.
-I only lost one recipe!
So I’m not going to die. I’ll just be sad for a little while.
In times like this you’d think I’d want a whole cake to myself, which I guess I do, but I really wanted to get creative in the kitchen and make a salad that was “for me”. This salad had all my favorite flavours, is easy, and totally awesome. I hope you like it!
The sauce involves dissolving brown sugar in hot water. Then you stir in garlic, jalapeno, sambal oelek, fish sauce, soy sauce, and lime juice. Once it’s thoroughly whisked it tastes soooo good.
To assemble your salads (this serves 2 after all), place 1 cup of lettuce on the bottom of a plate with 1 tbsp of basil. Next, divide the rice noodles evenly and nest them on top of the lettuce and basil. Ladle 4 tbsp of dressing onto noodles.
Arrange cucumbers and tomato on top of noodles. Garnish with scallions. Drizzle with more dressing and top with salted peanuts. Enjoy, friends!
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (or crushed red pepper flakes)
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 package rick noodles, 1/4" wide
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp salted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Dissolve sugar in hot water and let cool. Stir in garlic, jalapeno, sambal oelek, fish sauce, soy sauce, and lime juice. Whisk thoroughly to combine and set aside while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Follow noodle package instructions; strain in colander and rinse with cold water. Shake off excess water and gently toss noodles with sesame oil.
- To assemble salads, place 1 cup of lettuce on the bottom of a plate with 1 tbsp of basil. Next, divide the noodles evenly and nest them on top of the lettuce and basil. Ladle 4 tbsp of dressing onto noodles. Arrange cucumbers and tomato on top of noodles. Garnish with scallions. Drizzle with more dressing and top with salted peanuts.
- Serve with chopsticks and enjoy!
-Recipe adapted from the Rebar Modern Food Cookbook.
-Sometimes we add toasted sesame seeds, marinated tofu, and some Hoisin sauce to this. It just depends what we have on hand. The boy says Hoisin is a must!
-For a vegan option, just use 6 tbsp of soy sauce and remove the fish sauce altogether.
-This makes lots of extra sauce and you can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.