Long weekends do not occur enough. Can I get an Amen?

This past weekend I FINALLY went back to my hometown, spent some time with old friends, and drank some serious booze. It was magical. Since I have the coolest Grandparents ever, they allowed my noisy friends and I to set up some lawn games and party the night (and day) away.

The focus of the party was to celebrate the 25th birthday of two of my best friends, but also an excuse to get together and reminisce. High school graduation was 7 years ago. That deserves a W.T.F. So, when I’m feeling old and strange and confused, I need some serious sugar.

Enter Rhubarb Crunch. My new best friend, my new favorite crisp…and the crisp that makes all other crisps cry in a corner. Thank goodness this baby was here for me when I needed it. I meant to share this, I really did, but my boy and I ate it in one night. Whoops!

Enjoy! I like this stuff warm right from the pan…or with vanilla bean ice cream. Delicious!

Rhubarb Crunch

Yield: 6-8 servings

• 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
  • 4 cups diced fresh rhubarb (or frozen rhubarb)
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup cold water
  • ice cream, for serving (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the cold butter until oat-like crumbs form. Press half of the topping into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the rhubarb on top.
  3. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Slowly mix in the cold water and heat over medium until the mixture boils; boil for 2 minutes or until thickened a bit. Pour over the rhubarb in the pan.
  4. Sprinkle with remaining crumb topping. Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour (start checking at 40 minutes) or until beginning to brown.
  5. Serve warm with ice cream! So good.

Recipe adapted from Cooking for Seven

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

20 Responses to Rhubarb Crunch

1. This sounds wonderful! This is one of my favorite ways to bake rhubarb!

2. sherried says:

One of my favorite recipes from my grandmother. You can use the same idea for apple crisp.

3. Allie says:

I want this!

4. Jenny @ BAKE says:

Sounds like you had an amazing weekend! I’m off to do something very similar next week and I can’t wait! This is my favourite dessert, I love the tartness of the rhubarb against the sweetness of the crumble!

5. Erin says:

Amen! Long weekends definitely do not come often enough!

6. Rhubard is amazing! Great recipe!

7. Love rhubarb especially since someone else makes it I a, not much successful with it though must admit haven’t tried it much but love the tartness!

Long weekends with old friends are the BEST! Sounds like an awesome reunion. :) This crisp looks amazing! I’m SUCH a rhubarb lover.

9. This looks like it would be amazing with ice cream. I don’t eat enough rhubarb in my life – I’ll have to remember this one for next spring! :)

10. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve never tried rhubarb! This looks delicious!

11. Yum! This looks fantastic!

12. What a great dessert. I wish we had rhubarb all year round!

13. Sounds delicious! Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

14. Mmm, this looks like the perfect comfort food for high school nostalgia. :) I was just realizing the other day that it’s been 6 years since I graduated — how on EARTH is that possible?! And my sister is about to start her sophomore year, too!! I feel so old… Rhubarb Crunch, here I come! Haha!

15. growing up, my neighbors always had extra rhubarb – wish i had some now so I could make this!

16. Jo Ann says:

Is there a way to print your recipes? This looks wonderful and I can hardly wait to try it.

17. […] Gingerbread Cookies Tres Leches Cake Rhubarb Crunch Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Streusel Topping Peanut Butter and Honey Popcorn Double Fudge Oreo […]