After dealing with weird digestive issues and stomach problems for the majority of my life, I decided last summer to start experimenting with food and figure out what the problem was. Sure, it took me 23 years, but it’s better late than never!

I started with eliminating dairy from my diet for a month, and lucky for me that’s all I needed to do to fix my problems! No more pain! And I figured it out on the first try. From then on I started trying various kinds of “milks”, and found almond milk was by far my favorite – vanilla almond milk to be specific.

This recipe is ridiculously easy, and waaaay cheaper than buying almond milk from the store. I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast so almond milk goes mega-fast in this house. Hope you like the recipe!

To make this, first soak the raw almonds in water for at least 6 hours, and then drain them.

Pour the almonds into a blender and add the cold filtered water.

Blend well. When you see a froth on the top, stop blending.

Add the vanilla and honey. Blend again for another 20-30 seconds.

Take the cheesecloth, and fold to ensure it is at least 4 layers thick. Put the cheesecloth on the top of the pitcher and secure it with a big elastic band. Use your fist to push some of the cheesecloth down into the pitcher so that it is not tight on top. Pour the almond mix through the cheesecloth into the pitcher.

It’s like a science project!

Use a big spoon to help push the milk through the mass of almond and into the pitcher. You can scoop out the thick paste when it builds up.

Enjoy! It’s best when it’s cold. Mmm.

Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk
Recipe taken from Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 cup raw almonds, unsalted
4 cups cold, filtered water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Honey

Directions:
1. Soak the raw almonds covered in water for at least 6 hours, and then drain them.
2. Pour the almonds into a blender and add the cold filtered water.
3. Blend well. When you see a froth on the top, stop blending.
4. Add the vanilla and honey.
5. Blend again for another 20-30 seconds.
6. Take the cheesecloth, and fold to ensure it is at least 4 layers thick.
7. Put the cheesecloth on the top of the pitcher and secure it with a big elastic band. Use your fist to push some of the cheesecloth down into the pitcher so that it is not tight on top.
8. Pour the almond mix through the cheesecloth into the pitcher.
9. Use a big spoon to help push the milk through the mass of almond and into the pitcher.

And voila, you have Almond Milk!

Note: For a sugar-free option, eliminate the honey and add Stevia instead to taste.

15 Responses to Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk

1. bakeaholicmama says:

Wow it’s that easy?!

2. mom2hhl says:

Is there anything you can use the almond paste in?

3. Helen says:

You are amazing girl!!!The tricks you have let all of us know is great. Keep up the yummy recipes that you are sharing with us.

4. val says:

I adore almond milk but and never thought of making it myself. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe.

I don’t drink cow’s milk either and almond milk is my milk substitute of choice too! SO GOOD. I never knew it was so easy to make it at home!! This will save me so much money.

6. Kathryn says:

I don’t have a problem with dairy but I’ve never been a fan of milk in particular, this looks like such a perfect alternative!

7. jacquie says:

interesting – i never really understood how those other “milk” products were produced. Do you have any idea what the nutrional profile of the milk is? especially in terms of protein which is currently a struggle for me to get enough of. Also what is done with all those “spent” almonds? are they discarded? thanks.

• No way! I make almond flour with the leftover almond paste. Just spread out the almond meal on a cookie sheet and bake at 170 degrees until it is dry! Use this in place of wheat flours in recipes :)

8. This looks incredible, and so easy. Love the sounds of this!

9. JulieD says:

Very cool! I didn’t know it was that easy!

10. love this! i always buy my almond milk, but once i get a blender again, i’ll be trying this.

11. momgateway says:

Thanks for sharing. Never thought it would be this easy.