Even though it’s illegal, I sometimes text when I’m at a stop light. I simply can’t help it! I was born in ’87 and need constant stimulation. It’s a well known problem of my generation.

I don’t however, talk on the phone while driving or text when the car is moving. Sooooo that’s better, right?

*Humf*

I don’t know. Anyway, I’m telling you this because yesterday while waiting for a red light to turn green I looked into the car next to me, and I saw something interesting…a 20-something girl talking on the phone with her left hand and eating french fries with her right hand. WHAT THE HECK?!

I can only assume that this young lady talks and eats at stop lights just like I text sometimes. I MUST assume this, or I will never walk through an intersection again! Craziness.

This wild event in my life required me to go home to brownies. Any event requires brownies really, though. Like:
“Oh, I should shower”….brownie first.
“My kitty is cute”….eat brownie and stare at kitty.
“I should wake up now”…and have a brownie.

I’m sure you agree.

To make these beauties, place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan. Line with parchment paper so that it overhangs on two sides and grease the parchment paper as well. Get your boxed brownie mix and beat all the ingredients needed together to make a brownie batter. Pour brownie mixure into prepared pan. I used Ghirardelli. They make the best boxed brownies.

To make the Peanut Butter Filling, place peanut butter, melted butter, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a bowl.

Whisk it all together until smooth.

Spoon the peanut butter mixture on top of the brownie batter in three lines.

Use a butter knife to swirl the lines together.

Arrange pretzels on top of the batter.

OMG.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool for about 30 minutes on a cooling rack before slicing and enjoying.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies
Makes 9 large brownies
Adapted from Joy the Baker

Ingredients:
1 batch of Boxed brownies. I used triple chocolate.

Peanut Butter Filling:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter, I prefer natural peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

9 chocolate covered pretzels (I used Rold Gold brand)

Directions:
Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan. Line with parchment paper so that it overhangs on two sides and grease the parchment paper as well.

Pour brownie mixure into prepared pan.

To make the Peanut Butter Filling, whisk together peanut butter, melted butter, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.

Spoon the peanut butter mixture on top of the brownie batter in three lines and use a butter knife to swirl the two together. Arrange pretzels on top of the batter.

Let cool for about 30 minutes before slicing and enjoying.

43 Responses to Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies

1. Kathryn says:

Oh amazing! I love all those layers!

I’m such a bad driver that I have to completely focus on what I’m doing otherwise I start panicking…lol.

2. Holy Yum! Those are almost too fabulous!

3. These look utterly incredible – sweet and salty and smooth and crunchy and…can you send me some now please?!

4. spiffycookie says:

I have seen someone talking on their phone with one hand and holding a cigarette in the other. Insane! I try to speed up and get away from those people if I can.

Oh and these brownies are killing me.

5. these look soooooooooooo good! What a perfect combination.

6. Oh how I wish this was my fork right there… :D

7. kittyroxx says:

That is probably the most unbelievable brownie recipe I’ve seen all year. My face needs this!

8. so many good things crammed into this little brownie love!

I was born in 87 also! Twas a good year, apparently :P And I don’t really drive much, but if I did, I would totally text at stoplights. And/or check my email on my phone. Same difference.

Every occasion in life requires brownies..especially those with peanut butter! LOVE.

10. These look so delicious and decadent, Katrina! What a fun recipe. I could easily demolish these in a sitting, shamefully, haha! Thanks for sharing. Also, I’m having a great giveaway today with four potential prize winners, so you should enter!

11. Alison says:

Oh my goodness. I want to dive into my computer screen and eat these RIGHT NOW!!! Delicious.

12. yowza! i made some similar brownies but minus the pb, i’m thinking we need a re-do! haha! love your blog! :)

13. Jennifer says:

I admit, I get REALLY irritated when my mom pulls out her cell phone driving. I try to avoid doing it myself but as an ’89 baby, I get the constant stimulation thing haha. This recipe combines all my favorite foods in one dish. Just sayin’.

14. Holy cow, these look delicious! I was thinking about making a pretzel-and-chocolate dessert tonight. This looks a lot better than what I was planning! yum!

15. cookincanuck says:

I’ve seen someone driving while in the reclined position, hands behind his head, driving with his knees. I moved several lanes over…quickly! Love the sweet and salty in these brownies.

16. Lindsay Mac says:

I showed Pat these brownies – and he was really disappointed that he couldn’t grab them off the screen! They look amazing Katrina!

17. Oh my – I don’t even know where to start with these brownies. Jason, the basketball fanatic would say, “There’s too many Kobes on one team!” Seriously, you got the brownies, the chocolate covered pretzels, AND the peanut butter filling! Lots of all-stars in these treats. I’ll have to do a double workout the day I make these!

As for the girl talking on the phone and eating french fries – WOW. Now that takes some skill!

18. Aggie says:

Oh my goodness! First I just love the Ghiradelli brownie mix. Second, those pretzels and pb look divine. Seriously divine. A match made in heaven.

19. Tracey says:

I text at lights sometimes too – shhhh, don’t tell! :) Your brownies are seriously dessert heaven!! I love the combo of flavors. If I had pretzels in my house I’d be making these stat!

20. milisaarmstrong says:

Wow I could devour the whole pan!
    Ps. you were born in ’87, I feel so old! :)

21. Love how you paired sweet chocolate and salty pretzels. Surely this tasted divine.

22. this looks sinful!!! YUM!

23. Deborah says:

I would take one of these brownies first – before pretty much anything!!

24. OMG these look crazy good! The choc covered pretzels, the PB, the DARK brownies..you outdid yourself!

25. Summer says:

Wow! These looks so moist and rich and delicious. Love the combination of flavors and textures.

26. i love the chocolate pretzels on top!!!

27. YUM! these look great and i love your blog been taking a little look around and its great just thought i would say hi! and confess my love for chocolate covered pretzels – the best thing since sliced brownies!

28. Karista says:

So fun! Making these this weekend. :)

29. […] Next, lets make the peanut butter swirl! Its so easy. In fact, I assumed it would be just peanut butter, but actually its peanut butter with added butter and sugar. D’oh. But of course! Peanut butter swirl recipe adapted from here. […]

30. […] Rhubarb Pie with Streusel Topping Peanut Butter and Honey Popcorn Double Fudge Oreo Cookies Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies Rhubarb Muffins with Crumble […]

31. […] Chip Oatmeal Cookies with Brown Butter // Raspberry Cheesecake // Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies // Nanaimo Bars // Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt // Red Velvet Thumbprint […]

32. […] Next, lets make the peanut butter swirl! Its so easy. In fact, I assumed it would be just peanut butter, but actually its peanut butter with added butter and sugar. D’oh. But of course! Peanut butter swirl recipe adapted from here. […]