My version of the best damn kale salad out there. This easy recipe includes a soft poppyseed dressing, sugared almonds, dried cranberries, avocado, seeds, and some yummy cruciferous veggies.
Ohhhhh long weekends, I love you. I just spent the past few days with my friend (aka my “trail wife”) camping, running through the hills of Kelowna, eating and drinking all the things, and basking in the sun. We woke up each morning with our maps, tons of sunscreen, and GPS watches ready to go on a big adventure. As with all adventures, Saturday was sure interesting. We ran into another runner who warned us of a rattlesnake taking up the single track trail up ahead and then ran into another group of runners who said they marked the spot near where the snake was with an “X”. My friend and I kept running, if you can call it that (it was more quick hiking/stomping) and never ended up seeing an “X” on the trail OR a snake…good thing for us! Washed out bridges and tick’s though? Oh yeah, we ran into those.
I’ve been on the go a lot these past few months with visitors, an intense ultramarathon training schedule, and weekends away buuuuuut don’t you worry, I am still cooking at home! My meals have been very simple and full of vegetables and are usually things that I can make huge batches of and eat throughout the week. This salad is my newest obsession so I finally got around to photographing it this weekend 🙂
Since a lovely dinner at my friend Sara’s house, I’ve been trying to recreate a salad she served Paul and I for dinner one night. She gave me the dressing recipe, actually, but over time I’ve played with it and eventually it’s turned into this beauty. I have been eating this salad pretty much every day for lunch for two months and am not sick of it at all. I look forward to it, actually. And so, I present my favourite kale salad to YOU!
It’s got chopped kale and cabbage, seeds, dried cranberries, delicious sugared almonds, sliced avocado and THE BEST poppyseed dressing in the whole wide world. Get on this train!!!
Hope you all enjoyed your weekend too! xx
- 1 bunch curly kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 head red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- sunflower seeds
- dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 onion powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Prepare the sugared almonds. Place the ingredients into a pan on medium heat. As the sugar melts from the heat it will create a sugar coating on the almond slices. Continue stirring until the almonds are lightly brown but not burnt. Quickly remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Set aside.
- In a mason jar or glass measuring cup, add all of the poppyseed dressing ingredients and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together the chopped kale and cabbage. Divide mixture among serving bowls and top with sliced avocado, and a sprinkle of pepitas, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and sugared almonds.
- Drizzle desired amount of poppyseed dressing onto each salad. Enjoy.