A refined sugar-free and whole wheat version of classic banana bread. This bread is sweetened with maple syrup, is amazingly moist, and is absolutely delicious!
Ahhh, the illustrious banana bread. I could write a love letter to the stuff.
I have so many recipes for banana bread on this blog that it might seem silly to some. But part of the fun of being a food blogger is writing about how you can make things different!
I’m getting towards the end of this whole “refined sugar-free” month thing, and I thought a quick bread recipe made entirely with maple syrup would be perfect. I was right! This bread is incredibly moist, packed with flavour, and just plain GOOD! I packed some along with me for a post-run snack and made myself angry when I noticed there was only 1 slice.
My sister in law is currently visiting. We’re spending our evenings eating late night popcorn, doing yoga and exploring the lower mainland together. It’s so nice having family around and one of those classic friendly faces that just makes you feel good inside. I don’t want her to leave! I’m posting this recipe for her. Seriously. She wanted to bake something for Paul and I while we’re at work and I told her about this bread!! Here it is Allie 🙂 xoxo
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used cashew milk)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Add the eggs and whisk until incorporated, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and ground cinnamon, and whisk to incorporate.
- With a rubber spatula, stir in the whole wheat flour until just combined, making sure not to overmix (it's ok is some flour is still showing).
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Arrange some pecans on top if you feel like being fancy.
- Bake the bread for 55-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the loaf pan on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate
Store bread wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 5 days.
Looking for other banana bread recipes? I’ve got a whole bunch!
Chai banana bread
Banana sweet potato bread
Carrot banana bread
Peanut butter and honey banana bread
Buttermilk banana bread
Strawberry banana bread
Low fat banana bread with oats
Nutella swirled banana bread
Cinnamon swirl banana bread Chunky chocolate banana bread