This recipe for cookie butter rice krispie treats adds a delightful cookie taste to the already perfectly chewy treat. Chocolate is slathered on top of it all for a wonderful and delicious combination!
First I should start this off by saying that cookie butter is totally, 100%, in Canada now! So you can buy it and enjoy all of the awesomeness of these bars. Or these bars without rice krispies. Or these chocolate chip cookies. Or these no bake cookies! It’s a magical spread.
And if you’re like “duh, I eat cookie butter daily” then you are my hero and I love you – let’s hang out!
This past week I started a new job, signed up for my first trail running race in the mountains, took Ellie to her first doggy daycare, and cut my hair off. Things are new, and when things are this new I like to go with the basics! “The basics” being spaghetti for dinner and rice krispie treats for dessert (HEALTHY, RIGHT)? But seriously, it’s what I’ve been craving and I’m not mad about it.
After making a big batch of my favourite rice krispie treats recipe, I made a second fancy-pants batch of these bars. The rice krispie base in these has a big dollop of cookie butter and the topping is a mixture of melted chocolate and MORE cookie butter to pack in the flavour! A very, very, good baking decision. Actually, these bars are very much like my peanut butter rice krispie bars with chocolate on them.
Big change is a good thing, I know it. I’m enjoying making new friends and discovering new gorgeous places in British Columbia along the way. A tub of these bars to go along with it all just makes it all better 🙂
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 1/2 cup cookie butter (I used crunchy)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup crunchy cookie butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat until melted completely, then add 2 cups of mini marshmallows. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add cookie butter and salt. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove pan from heat and add the rice krispies and the other 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Quickly stir, ensuring that all the cereal is coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan. Press into pan with a rubber spatula or your fingertips. Set aside.
- For the topping, add the cookie butter and chocolate chips to a medium saucepan. Set over low heat and stir occasionally until the mixture is melted and completely smooth.
- Pour the topping over the treats and tilt the pan to spread into an even layer. Allow the topping to set completely in the fridge for 30 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
These treats keep well stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week. Just take them out for a few minutes before serving.