I really, really, do not know where to begin BUT we should probably start with a friendly hello!
I meant to post while I was away on vacation but my computer broke on my second week in, and with another 3 weeks to go there was really nothing much to do other than a shoulder shrug. I had sightseeing to do!
I’m back in Canada now (with a fixed computer AND Internet!) and we’re all moved into our new home. We got ourselves a puppy and we’re figuring out how to spend our days in this new beautiful place. If you’re wondering, YES! my new kitchen is wonderful too! This morning I woke up early and made two pie crusts so that I can make my first baked good in my new oven. I am VERY excited for that!
This recipe for wrapped breakfast quesadillas was the last meal that I photographed in my Montreal kitchen. Creamy scrambled eggs, black beans, and cheese are wrapped in a crisp flour tortilla for a delicious and fancy-pants eggy breakfast. I LOVE this!! And the scrambled eggs alone are super fabulous.
Happy breakfasting 🙂
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- Scrambled eggs
- 1/4 cup canned (drained and rinsed) or cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- For serving: hot sauce, salsa, sour cream, sliced green onion, etc.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stir together eggs, salt, butter, and milk. Cook, stirring with a silicon spatula, until eggs are moist and just beginning to set. Remove from heat and continue to cook, stirring, until eggs have just set into soft curds; if necessary, return to heat briefly if eggs need to cook slightly more. Season with pepper and set aside.
- Place a separate, large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place the tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Place the tortillas onto a work surface and divide the scrambled eggs onto the centre of the tortillas, spreading into an even layer but leaving a 1-inch border. Add some black beans on top of the eggs and sprinkle on some shredded cheese.
- To fold the quesadillas, fold the top of the tortilla down over the filling to the center. Holding that piece down and working clockwise, continue folding the rest of the tortilla towards the middle until the filling is completely covered (you will have about 5 folds). Carefully flip the quesadilla over and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place the quesadillas, one at a time, folded-side down, in the heated pan. Cook until browned and the cheese is melted, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Repeat as needed until all the quesadillas are cooked.*
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn
Tortilla folding tutorial can be found here
*If not serving immediately, let cool completely and wrap each quesadilla tightly in foil. Refrigerate or freeze in a resealable plastic bag. To re-heat, heat uncovered in a 325°F oven until warmed through, about 20 minutes if refrigerated, or about 30 minutes if frozen.