A truly easy and delightful pasta salad that is perfect for any summer get together! This salad features bocconcini, fresh arugula, basil, sweet grape tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, orzo pasta, and a delightful lemony-balsamic dressing.
The fridge and stove are gone. Sold. I came home after a fantastic weekend away with my best lady friend to find Paul sitting at the kitchen table working. When I looked around the empty-ish apartment and asked about his breakfast that morning he smirked and replied “dried cheerios”. He was serious.
Since then, I have managed to whip up a few things without a fridge or stove; I have a cooler, after all! We’re feasting on paninis, slow cooker food, and simple fruits and vegetables at the moment. It’s fine. And take-out is always an option.
What I have sitting in my “drafts” folder here in the back part of the blog is a small collection of recipes that I’m excited to share. Recipes that I made before my fridge and stove were sold, and recipes that are the last of what I will photograph and write about in this tiny Montreal apartment.
On June 24th I’m moving, and from then until August 12th Paul and I will be visiting friends/family and then taking a 1-month road trip through the United States starting in New York and moving on to Colorado-Utah-California and then up the West Coast to our new home in British Columbia. THREE CHEERS FOR NEW BEGINNINGS! And a shower in your own house…oof.
Over the next several weeks you’ll see me posting once a week instead of my usual 2-3 times a week. In fact, that trend has already started. I won’t have a “home base” and will be camping a lot, so we’ll have to catch up whenever there is time. I have to dish the details of my trip, after all!
So here is a simple recipe for you today. This is the last recipe I made with the ability to boil water on the stovetop, and one that is so simple, you can throw it together in no time. I chose some of my favourite fresh ingredients like basil, tomatoes, and arugula and then threw in some cocktail bocconcini, sundried tomatoes, shallot, and a simple lemony balsamic vinaigrette. It’s a delight! Definitely perfect for sharing.
Enjoy the rest of your week friends!
- 2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups fresh arugula
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 (200g) container cocktail bocconcini
- 1 cup fresh basil, sliced into ribbons
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook orzo until tender but firm, about 8 minutes. Drain well, rinse in cold water and drain again. Place pasta in a large serving bowl.
- In a small mason jar or bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic, garlic, and a pinch of salt until completely combined. Set aside.
- Place the arugula, tomatoes, bocconcini, basil, sundried tomatoes and shallot in the bowl with the orzo; stir to combine.
- Pour the dressing over top of the salad, taste and adjust seasonings, adding some salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.