We bought a house! In British Columbia….and I haven’t seen it in person yet.
When Paul first went out to B.C. to house hunt, everyone I talked to had the same question “WHY AREN’T YOU THERE TOO??!” And obviously I’d like to be, but Paul knows me really well and I trusted that he’d be able to find me the perfect
kitchen place. Plus, I couldn’t get the time off work!
We get the keys in August, and naturally, all I’m thinking about is moving and getting out there RIGHT NOW! I’m so excited!!
While P’s been away, I’ve been making a few fun things in the kitchen to snack on/enjoy as a solo lady. Yesterday I made a big, gorgeous salad, some egg salad to pack for lunch sandwiches, and this yummy popcorn!
This is the perfect snack. It’s essentially regular caramel corn with sesame seeds and honey added annnnnd some sriracha! The spicy-salty-sweet combination is super addicting! I am in LOVE!
What makes this a bit different from my regular caramel corn is that I baked it at a higher temperature for a more classic caramel corn texture. The caramel in my other recipe is chewier, so if you like that better I suggest baking this at a lower temperature. Trust me though, this is PERFECT the way it is!!
Have a great weekend! xoxo
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the popcorn by placing the kernels and oil in a big pot with the lid on. Turn the heat on high, and swirl the pot every few seconds to prevent the kernels from burning. Keep shaking and swirling until kernels start to pop, let them pop until they are done. Remove lid and let the steam escape. Spread the popped popcorn out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top of the popcorn. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and water with a rubber spatula. Let the sugar dissolve and simmer for about 5 minutes. Carefully (it will bubble up!) pour in the honey and sriracha and stir to mix. Add the butter and stir again. Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes until the bubbles look thick and it has changed to a darker colour.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir gently with a rubber spatula until most of the popcorn and almonds are coated. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Bake the popcorn for about 10-12 minutes until the popcorn looks dry. Once cooked, remove the popcorn from the oven and immediately sprinkle the top of it with large flaked sea salt (or regular salt). Stir the popcorn one last time and allow it to cool completely on the pan. Once cooled, break apart the large clusters with your hands.
- Store the popcorn in an air-tight container (I used a large freezer bag). The popcorn stays fresh for a whole week!
Recipe adapted from The Artful Desperado