These past few days have FLOWN by. Paul and I got back from British Columbia on Friday and we’ve been dreaming about what our lives will be like living out West ever since.
We had a great vacation! We looked around the Fraser Valley for where we’d like to live, did quite a bit of hiking, and drove around the area looking for microbreweries and picnic spots. We also stayed at the cutest little mountain cabin without any internet and really enjoyed some “time away”.
Since returning home, we are definitely feeling more comfortable about our move since we’ve seen the area – the weather alone is worth it!! All of the tulips were out and the trees were blossoming…it was such a change from chilly Montreal!
But, we still have a solid 2 1/2 months left here in Montreal until we leave, and for now, I’m using the remaining days I have in the city to use up stuff from my cupboard and to eat out at all of my favourite restariants!
Not too long ago, I posted a recipe for Coconut Milk Breakfast Quinoa and have made it a few times since then, tweaking it here and there. Making quinoa for breakfast is a fantastic way to add a little more protein to your morning routine!! And this almond version is a true keeper. Plus, I nearly always have the ingredients for it on hand 🙂
Hopefully you enjoy this too! xx
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk (I used lite)
- 1 1/4 cups dry quinoa
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- For serving: brown sugar, sliced almonds, fresh berries
- Add the coconut milk to a 2 cup glass measuring dish. Fill it up to the 2 cup line with water and pour into a medium sauce pan. Bring the 2 cups of liquid to a boil over medium-high heat, stir in the quinoa and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and set quinoa aside for 5 minutes. Add the vanilla, almond extract, and a pinch of sea salt to the quinoa and mix everything together.
- Evenly distribute quinoa into serving bowls, and then add sliced almonds, fresh berries, a sprinkle of brown sugar and an extra drizzle of coconut milk. Enjoy hot.