It’s a big day today. A few of my blogging friends and I are celebrating one of our lady-loves by throwing her a virtual baby shower!! Joanne is having her first baby this Spring and it’s going to be a girl!!
When I think of baby showers I think of big-batch potluck food and when I think of Spring I think of rhubarb, so naturally something like this New York-Style Rhubarb Crumb Cake came about in my mind.
Also, Joanne is as obsessed with rhubarb as I am, so it fits the occasion perfectly.
The base of this recipe is a classic yellow crumb cake made with buttermilk. The taste alone is incredible, but I topped it with some sliced rhubarb straight from the freezer (the last of my 2015 stock!) and then added a hefty amount of New York-style buttery crumb topping to it.
With each bite, you’ll get the sweetness of the cake layer, the tartness from the rhubarb and a little crunch from the topping that’ll throw your taste buds to the moon!
Perfect for sharing and perfect for celebrating. In fact, you can find what my blogging friends are bringing to the party below!
Orange Ginger Spritzer from The Lemon Bowl
Asparagus and Pea Puff Pastry Tarts from Belly Full
Blood Orange Doughnuts from Cook Like a Champion
Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Cups from Keep It Sweet Dessert
Meyer Lemon Soufflé from Blahnik Baker
Strawberry Tartlets from The Cooking Actress
Berry Fool Tarts from Bake or Break
Lemon Raspberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Baker Chick
Mini Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes from Baker by Nature
Good luck with your new baby Joanne!! Sending allllll the love! YAY BABY!
- 1 cup rhubarb, trimmed and diced into small cubes
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp softened unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- For the filling, in a medium bowl, slice rhubarb 1/2 inch thick and toss with cornstarch. Set aside.
- For the crumbs, in another medium bowl, whisk sugars, spices and salt into melted butter until smooth. Add the flour with a spatula or wooden spoon and mix to combine. It will look and feel like a solid dough. Leave it pressed together in the bottom of the bowl and set aside.
- For the cake, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in another large bowl). Beat on low to combine and with the mixer still on low, add the butter, one piece at a time, and continue mixing until the mixture is crumbly, about 1-2 minutes (there shouldn’t be any visible chunks of butter left). Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk and increase the mixer to medium-high speed. Beat until the batter is light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and spread in an even layer. Spoon rhubarb over batter.
- Pick up the crumb topping by handfuls, and break off chunks, scattering them over the top of the batter. Use all of the topping – it will be a thick layer. Bake for about 55-60 minutes, or until the crumb topping is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the pan to a wire rack and cool for at least 30 minutes, before cutting into squares for serving (dusting with confectioners’ sugar to finish if desired).
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen