Valentine’s Day weekend here in Montreal was beyond cold this year. With the freezing outside temperature, P and I spent as much time as we could indoors and we had a ball!
We cooked together, watched movies, and I listened to P play the piano for hours. These lazy-ish weekends are the best.
I’ve been trying to make “healthier” treats lately for weekday snacking and threw together these bars with the hopes that I could have a chocolate and peanut butter sweet treat that was sweetened with dates.
Oof, these beauties made me SO happy!
The base for these bars is made with peanut butter, dates, and Rice Krispies cereal and the whole thing is topped off with delicious melted chocolate for an absolutely delicious no-bake (and vegan!) treat.
Another plus to these treats is that they are thrown together in 15 minutes.
The hard part? Waiting for them to cool and come together in the fridge. Waiting is hard.
Sending huge, chocolate-filled hugs guys! I hope your Valentine’s Day was sweet, however you celebrated it!
- 3/4 cups packed pitted dates
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place dates in a food processor and pulse until a ball is formed. Add the peanut butter, milk, and salt and process until smooth and creamy. Scoop the mixture into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave another 30 seconds. Continue until the mixture is warm and has melted a bit. This took me 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the cereal to a large bowl. Slowly mix in the peanut butter mixture until throughly combined. Press the cereal into the prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- Microwave the chocolate and oil on 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. This took me about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour the melted chocolate over the bars in an even layer. Place pan in the fridge and wait for 2 hours*.
- Remove bars from the pan using the parchment overhangs and cut into squares before enjoying.
- Store in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for longer term storage.
*if you want to cut these quicker, you can place them in the freezer for 30 minutes instead.
MAKE IT VEGAN: use almond milk in place of the milk and use vegan chocolate chips. MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: use a gluten free crispy rice cereal.