These past few days have been incredible. Guys, Paul got his PhD on Friday! It’s all done, we celebrated all weekend, and I couldn’t be happier.

Almond Crusted French Toast

Our lives up to this point have been all about school. After deciding we liked each other enough to stay together, P and I have been taking things one step at a time with the big question “where are we going to move to next?” always close by.

Naturally, this question has popped up again. Once you finish your PhD, school is over forever, and so, we’re wondering where the next place will be.ย A city? A small town? Are we going to buy a house for the first time ever and buy a car? And if so, then we OBVIOUSLY need to get a dog. Right? Well, duh.

Almond Crusted French Toast

Anyway, who knows? There are two ways to look at this. You can ponder and ponder until your head pops off, or you can just go with the flow, take things one step at a time, like you have been already, and think “Montreal is amazing. Let’s explore the heck out of it before we leave…whenever that is.”

Almond Crusted French Toast

Almond Crusted French Toast

I love so many things about this city. There are shops and markets with food and people from all over the world, I can buy a craft beer at the convenience store and have fresh donuts and bread any day (every day?) I want to.

Almond Crusted French Toast

Not too far away in the West side of the city, we have a very big Jewish community. In this part of town you can find anything Kosher that you need and it’s awesome, but my favorite place to go in this neighbourhood is a tiny bakery that sellsย racks upon racks of fresh challah bread. I take the 30 minute Metro there and almost always buy a huge jar of pickles, some babka, and two loaves of challah: one for eating immediately (I’m not kidding) and one for the next day’s French toast.

Almond Crusted French Toast

This recipe is for classic, eggy, challah bread french toast that is crusted with slivered almonds. The almonds add a delightful flavour to the toast and a bit of crunch, that is super addicting. Definitely a way to step up the old classic and definitely a wonderful weekend treat!

Almond Crusted French Toast

Enjoy!

Almond Crusted French Toast

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 8 minutes

Total Time: 38 minutes

Yield: 4 slices

• 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup whole milk (or half and half)
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 (1-inch-thick) slices challah (or brioche)
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 2 tbsp butter, divided
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
  • Pure maple syrup, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 200ยฐF.
  2. Lightly beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large shallow baking dish (a 9x9-inch baking pan works great). Add bread, and press down gently on bread until you feel it start to soak up custard mixture (you may only be able to do 2 pieces at a time). Let soak for 4 minutes. Flip bread and soak on second side, pressing down gently from time to time, until bread is saturated but not soggy, another 4 minutes.
  3. Spread slivered almonds on a baking sheet, carefully lift slices of bread from custard, letting excess drip back into dish, and put soaked bread slices on top of almonds. Press to adhere, then turn and repeat on other side.
  4. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. When foaming subsides, add bread slices in batches of 2, cooking until theyโ€™re golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
  5. Transfer finished toasts to baking sheet, and place in oven to keep warm.
  6. Repeat with remaining butter and bread.

Recipe adapted from The New York Times

21 Responses to Almond Crusted French Toast

1. This is exciting, I’d love to move again, it’s just that we got kindergarten for Mia and it’s so comfy ๐Ÿ™‚ changes are good. I’ve never been to Montreal, but I’d love to go one day. Hopefully sooner than later ๐Ÿ˜€
    Delicious looking french toasts!

2. Sues says:

What a great idea for a french toast! I haven’t visited Montreal in years, but your posts always make me want to go back!

3. Congratulations to Paul! What an exciting time and you’ve picked a great way to celebrate with this French toast. Yum!!

Congratulations. I’m curious about where you get your challah. Which store is it?

Kosher Quality. Have you been? If you go in the mid-morning on Sunday they have racks and racks of fresh baked Challah that is well worth the long Metro ride for!

5. Oh! I have to come to Montreal to say hello before you leave! This week I’ve been pondering and pondering and yep, my head is about to pop off. Love the almond crust on this french toast! Can’t wait to hear where your next home is going to be ๐Ÿ™‚

Any time you need a tour guide (or bakery/restaurant guide) I’d be happy to show you around! I can hardly wait to know where my next home will by either…patience is for the strong. And I’m a weakling!! lol

6. Congrats to Paul – what an amazing accomplishment! I wish we had Jewish bakeries around here. I’d probably buy 2 loaves of challah at a time too. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. This is absolutely stunning! I love challah so much and the almonds are just so yum – pinning ๐Ÿ™‚

8. I love when you know something is worth traveling for, and the delight of coming home with the wee treasures from the day’s foraging ๐Ÿ™‚ And you transformed this beautifully ๐Ÿ˜€ This way of doing French toast with the almonds sounds fantastic!

And congrats to your man on his PhD! ๐Ÿ˜€ Whatever lies ahead, I know it’s going to be good for you two ๐Ÿ™‚ x

9. I’m a sucker for french toast but when you make it with challah bread and almonds its on a whole-nother level of delicious! Mmmm ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Congrats to your husband! That’s a huge accomplishment! Sounds like you have many big decisions ahead of you :). This looks super yummy!

11. Wow! Congratulations to Paul, that’s such a huge achievement and so exciting for you both! This crunchy almond french toast is my kind of celebration, and as long as you’ve got this, the next chapter is sure to work out perfectly, right?
    xx

12. Amber says:

Wow, congratulations! PhD is a big deal! That’s great ๐Ÿ™‚

Montreal sounds amazing! I have a couple of friends that went to McGill and they loved it in that area so much. It seems like a great city, and I’ve been meaning to take my kiddos up there for a weekend trip to visit.

This french toast sounds so amazing… I’ve never had challah bread (or heard of it) but it sounds really good. I’m wondering if there is anywhere in my area (Portland, Maine) to get it now! I’ll have to look around ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for sharing this recipe! lovely photos, too ๐Ÿ™‚

13. That’s so wonderful you’re done and have that freedom to go where the wind takes you! Or get a dog. They are pretty great! Until then, let’s definitely celebrate with this toast!!

This baby is forcing me to have to cut back on the carbs and sugar (AGAINST MY WILL), so it is killing me to look at this and not be able to have it!! #ThreeMoreMonths. And then this is getting IN MY BELLY.

15. […] Wish I had woken up to this beautifully golden almond crusted French toastโ€ฆ […]

16. Millie Daly says:

Woweeeeee, I’ve just discovered your blog but can instantly see I’m going to be a regular! French toast is my go-to for any kind of celebrating and using brioche is such a fab idea to make things just little bit more special! I am excited to try this one (and I’m sure my dad is too, he is a big, big fan of almonds, especially toasted one’s) xx