Looks like we have a solid month before the days start to get longer again WHICH MEANS we (I?) need to find “light” in everything else. Things ranging from food to exercise to movies to images like the one below that my Mother-In-Law took 🙂
Photo by Leslie Abram
Oh! And Christmas is less than a month away, which is pretty awesome. We have our tree bought and I just got it all pretty and decorated this past weekend. Paul isn’t into that stuff AT ALL so I kept him happy with wine and cookies while I danced around and put Christmas bulbs on everything.
November wasn’t overwhelmingly busy this year, which was nice. My Grandparents came to visit and I went to a photo exhibition that Paul’s Mom put on, but other than that the whole month was low key. This left more time for catching up on T.V. and getting busy in the kitchen! Never a bad thing.
I have TWO favourite recipes from this month. The first is my Honey-Glazed Apple Tart which is unbelievably tasty and pretty. The crust soaks up the sugary apple juice and creates a caramelized apple situation that is out of this world.
But like, Soft Pretzels are one of my favorite FOODS so we need to include those too. They are brushed with hot butter and love and have never lasted longer than 1.5 days.
I also managed to make a few things from other food bloggers who I love! Check out:
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Pastry Affair
Brie En Croute from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Greek Salad from The Pioneer Woman (actually, I make this all the time!)
Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili from A Couple Cookes (I make this all the time too!)
Baked Eggs on Roasted Cherry Tomatoes from Cookie and Kate (pictured below)
Photo by Kathryne at Cookie and Kate
I found a few “new to me” blogs this month as well!
(1) Nommable: a delightful site where Erica shares her love of baking to the best degree possible. Seriously, these Mushroom Herb Sweet Potato Rolls ARE SO CREATIVE! Hold me.
(2) The Swirling Spoon: a site that is spot on with my tastes. In every single new post I just want to lick the screen!! I am definitely trying these Feta + Sundried Tomato Scones with Basil Butter this weekend. They look insane.
(3) Style Sweet CA : a blog where Tessa shares stories, photos and recipes of her life and a whole lot of cake! There’s other stuff too – like these Salted Maple Pumpkin Donuts (pictured below) but her cake skills are incredible. It totally shows that she owned her own shop not too long ago!
(4) Erin Made This: a fabulously creative food blog where you can find Erin’s gorgeous photography and perfect looking food! She’s funny too, and I love seeing what she will come up with next. Most recently, she made this Homemade Gingerbread Cookie Butter and I “squeeeeeeeed” out loud when I saw it!
Photo by Tessa at Style Sweet CA
I managed to finish three books in November and start a new one. Fall + Winter are reading and red wine time.
(1) The Girl in the Spider’s Web by David Lagercrantz. I really enjoyed this book! I found that it stayed true to the style of the old books, despite having a new writer. Salander is still badass and has her own agenda and Blomkvist still needs her. It was great to catch up with these two!
(2) In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. I had heard about this book from a few “must read” lists that I’ve seen this year and was really disappointed. Now, that doesn’t mean that it’s bad, it’s actually hard to put down! The plot is just frustrating and unrealistic at times which made me not be able to completely love it in the end. Essentially, it’s a bachelorette party gone very, very, wrong with lies and murder and betrayal…the usual good stuff.
(3) Our Souls At Night by Kent Haruf. This is quite a short book but is really interesting and different. It’s about two lonely, single elderly neighbours who find themselves getting to know each other. Really, it’s a beautiful love story and made me think about what it would be like to grow older once your partner had already died. I recommend it!
(4) Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter. I am currently reading this book and must say, it’s a page turner!! I seriously can’t put it down. The story has everything: murder, lies, love, lust and displays it all in a really heart wrenching way. The writing is graphic and difficult at times but so far this is one of the best books I’ve read all year!
007 Spectre. Definitely a fun movie to watch in theatres but was too long (I say that about most movies!! haha) and was definitely not the best performance that Daniel Craig has given. It DID have Christoph Waltz though…so that’s awesome.
Fargo is back! And it’s killing it. Seriously, this is one of my favorite shows of all time. If you liked the movie Fargo or liked Season 1 of the show then this one will not disappoint!
The Americans Season 1. We just finished this over the weekend and loved it! I can’t wait to begin Season 2 🙂
Wishing you all a Happy December. It’s almost 2016!!! HOLY SMOKES!