Pumpkin ice cream and strong espresso together at last – for a #virtualpumpkinparty! Today, along with a whole crew of my blogging buddies, we are getting real basic by celebrating all things pumpkin. I am so excited!
Have you tried affogato? I hadn’t until last year while I was living in Palermo. It wasn’t unusual for Paul and I to try things from a restaurant menu based on the name alone since neither of us spoke Italian very well. “Affogato” sounded cool and in the description of the dessert at the first place we tried it we knew what the words “gelato” and “espresso” meant, so I tried it once and had it sooo many times after that. It was love at first bite.
And the best part is that you can make it with a variety of ice cream flavours. I’ve tried it with cinnamon ice cream, french vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream and most recently this dulce de leche pumpkin ice cream.
Just look at that dulce de leche!!! I need a fan…totally swooning right now.
This pumpkin ice cream is one of my favorite fall treats. The ice cream base is based off of Jeni’s recipe from her book Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams At Home. It uses cream cheese, lots of honey, and heavy cream, which have a wonderful flavour and texture when mixed with pumpkin puree. I also added a dash of bourbon for a lil’ kick. We all need one sometimes.
This ice cream pairs perfectly with some fresh brewed espresso and a dash of cinnamon.
If you’re looking for some other fabulous pumpkin treats you can check out the whole list over at Cake Over Steak (or at the end of this post)! Sara planned this whole shebang and because of this fabulous party I am going to be a beautiful (?) orange Oompa Loompa by the end of this Autumn!
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bourbon (optional)
- 1 cup Dulce de Leche, cold
- 2 scoops ice cream
- 1 shot (2 tbsp) freshly brewed espresso (or strong coffee)
- Sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- Measure out the milk and remove 2 tablespoons into a small bowl. Add the corn starch and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl with a handheld mixer, cream together the pumpkin puree, cream cheese, honey and salt until smooth, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice over medium heat. Boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium heat, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk the hot mixture into the pumpkin mixture until smooth. Pour the mixture through a fine-mess strainer and into a medium bowl. Stir in the vanilla and bourbon (if using). Cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic wrap touches the ice cream mixture and refrigerate for 4 hours, or until chilled through.
- Pour the cooled ice cream base in an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add a big spoonful of cold delce de leche to the bottom of a freezer-safe storage container. Continue to layer the mixture, alternating ice cream, dulce de leche, some more ice cream, and then more dulce de leche. Avoid stirring - it makes the whole thing look like a hot mess. Freeze for 2 hours before serving.
- For the affogato, place two scoops of ice cream in a small glass or bowl. Top with espresso. Sprinkle with cinnamon for garnish and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams At Home
Ice cream is best served within 3 days of churning.
Sweet Pumpkin Recipes
Cake Over Steak | Pumpkin Ginger Cookies with a Vanilla Glaze
A Couple Cooks | Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter
Snixy Kitchen | Black Sesame Pumpkin Mochi Cake
Hungry Girl por Vida | Pumpkin Chocolate Crumb Cake
Donuts, Dresses and Dirt | Pumpkin Spice Latte Truffles
The Frosted Vegan | Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Gingersnaps
Warm Vanilla Sugar | Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Ice Cream + Affogato
An Edible Mosaic | Pumpkin Spice Latte Snack Cake with Brown Butter Buttercream
Kitchen Konfidence | Yeasted Pumpkin Waffles with Candied Ginger
Chocolate + Marrow | Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Butter Swirl
The Pig & Quill | Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes with Pumpkin Spice Caramel + Coconut Cream
Salt & Wind | Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins with Pepita Streusel
A Cookie Named Desire | Pumpkin Crepes with Cinnamon Ginger Cheesecake
Nommable | Pumpkin Moon Pies
The Crepes of Wrath | Pumpkin Pie Cake
The Swirling Spoon | Pumpkin Hand Pies
Erin Made This | Pumpkin Rye Waffles with Coconut Caramel
Beard and Bonnet | Pumpkin Spice Pizzelle Ice Cream Sandwiches
My Name is Yeh | Pumpkin Slice and Bake Cookies
Broma Bakery | Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate Brownies
Floating Kitchen | Pumpkin Beertail with Tequila and Spiced Rum
Sprinkled with Jules | Pumpkin Spice French Macarons
Feast + West | Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Toffee Bark
Jojotastic | Pumpkin Cinnamon Rimming Sugar
Fix Feast Flair | Japanese Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake with Quick Caramel
Appeasing a Food Geek | Pumpkin Ale Cake
Long Distance Baking | Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream + Pumpkin Pancakes
Fork Vs. Spoon | Pumpkin Buttermilk Pudding
Alyssa & Carla | Pumpkin Tea Bread (in a Coffee Can!)
Twin Stripe | Pumpkin Spice Toffee
Brewing Happiness | Caramelized Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Blogging Over Thyme | Homemade Candied Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream Drumsticks
The Speckled Palate | Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt | Pumpkin Gingersnap Pie
Style Sweet CA | Chocolate Stout and Pumpkin Checkerboard Cake
Fork to Belly | Pumpkin Orange Brulee Pie
Tasty Yummies | Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Påte á Chew | Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting
Holly & Flora | Pumpkin Pie Martini with Coconut Cream + Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Southern Soufflé | Sorghum Pumpkin Soufflés
SugarHero! | Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pound Cake
The Little Epicurean | Maple Pumpkin Butter Brioche Toast
Vigor and Sage | Maple Pumpkin Harvest Smoothie
Tried and Tasty | Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
The Fauxmartha | Baked Pumpkin Donuts
So… Let’s Hang Out | Grain-Free Apple Crumble Pumpkin Pie
Biscuits and Such | Pumpkin Pound Cake
A Little Saffron | Spiced Pepita Brittle
Savoury Pumpkin Recipes
B. Britnell | Pumpkin & Goat Cheese Macaroni
I Am a Food Blog | Roasted Pumpkin and Pork Stuffed Shells
Well and Full | Harissa-Spiced Pumpkin Gnocchi
Loves Food, Loves to Eat | Pumpkin Pork Burrito Bowls
Girl Versus Dough | Pumpkin Challah
Two Red Bowls | Pumpkin & Caramelized Onion Galette
With Food + Love | Creamy Pumpkin Polenta with Balsamic Roasted Beets
Feed Me Phoebe | Thai Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp and Bok Choy
The Yellow Table | Coconut-Curry Pumpkin Soup
Ginger & Toasted Sesame | Pumpkin Ricotta Gnudi
Earthy Feast | Pumpkin-Stuffed Turnip-Ravioli with Pepita Pesto
The Sugar Hit | Pumpkin Everything Bagels
The Bojon Gourmet | Pumpkin Flatbread with Gruyére and Crispy Sage (gluten-free)
Tending the Table | Roasted Pumpkin with Tamarind and Coriander Chutney
My Blue & White Kitchen | Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Prosciutto
Le Jus d’Orange | Lentil-Stuffed Acorn Squash, Crispy King Oyster Bacon + Aged Goat Cheese
The Scratch Artist | Japanese Pumpkin Temaki with Ginger Kale Chips
Heartbeet Kitchen | Pumpkin Swirled Mashed Potatoes
Okie Dokie Artichokie | Creamy Pumpkin and Chorizo Pasta Bake
Kale & Caramel | Pumpkin Goat Cheese Polenta with Brown Butter Thyme Mushrooms & Kale
Sprouted Routes | Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Risotto with Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pepitas (gluten free)
Wit & Vinegar Pumpkin Flaxseed Dog Treats
Dunk & Crumble | Pumpkin Roundup