You know those days when you’re awake, but are just going through the motions of the day? It’s total autopilot and man, sometimes it’s ok.
I’m having one of those days after three jam-packed weekends. The past two weekends in a row I’ve been dancing up a storm at three day long music festivals. Both weekends were fantastic, both weekends were in crazy hot heat and now I need some serious chill time.
Yesterday was my 1 year wedding anniversary. In the morning Paul made french toast and then I left him alone to hang out with his sister all day at Osheaga.
OH WELL! Tonight we will celebrate.
We’re super into documentaries right now, so our game plan is to keep things low-key and watch one of those (TBD) and have a date night in not without salt-style. This will include an all evening affair of cocktails, appetizers, home made spinach and ricotta ravioli (Paul makes the best home made pasta!) and a chocolate mousse.
Is it 5 o’clock yet?
Being at the music festival all weekend, I was unable to do much in the kitchen, but cookies and cookie bars were definitely do-able! Plus, they make coming home after a long day in the sun so much more sweet.
These cookie bars are really buttery, chewy and packed with milk and semi-sweet chocolate. The malted milk powder gives them a nutty flavour that’s a lot like browned butter. They are SO good!!
Plus, anything that can be thrown together and pressed into a pan is my kind of baked good.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or with a handheld mixer), beat together the butter, sugars, malted milk powder and vanilla until creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is evenly distributed.
- Press the cookie dough into the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 25 minutes until the bars look golden brown on top.
- Cool bars in the pan on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from Buns in My Oven