Colourful, pretty, and full of good stuff. Bring me allllll of the salads.
It was so hot this past weekend and we were outside for most of it. We spent the days exploring and strolling around Montreal with Paul’s parents and found that at the end of the day, a big bowl of salad or something fresh was all we really wanted.
It’s hard to go the farmers market and not pick anything up, so this time we bought some delicious, juicy tomatoes and a big box filled with different kinds of basil. I’m really only used to regular basil and Thai basil, but in this box has some sort of lemon basil that will be really fun to experiment with. I can’t wait!! Because basil goes with everything.
There isn’t any basil in this salad. This is mostly because I didn’t have my awesome herb garden yet when I made this, BUT! This salad is definitely filled with a ton of fresh ingredients like cucumbers, red peppers, carrots, snap peas, sweet potatoes, avocados, and is topped with smoked tofu, nori sheets and a delicious sesame-ginger miso vinaigrette.
So full of healthy stuff. A big bowl love, really.
And it’s all topped on some brown rice. I like this served with the rice at room temperature and think it makes really yummy leftovers for lunch! So grab a bowl and dig in friends!
- 2 tbsp red miso
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 cups baby greens (I used spinach)
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 2 medium sized carrots, shredded
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup sugarsnap peas
- 1 block smoked tofu, diced
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 sheets nori, chiffonaded
- optional sauces for topping: sriracha, hoisin sauce, soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prick the sweet potato with a fork all over, wrap in foil, and roast for approximately 1 hour. Once cooked, allow to cool and then peel and dice the potato.
- Prepare the miso vinaigrette by adding all of the vinaigrette ingredients into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Chill until ready to use.
- To assemble the salads, add 1 cup of baby greens to each bowl, topped with 1/4 of a diced roasted sweet potato, 1/4 cup diced cucumber, 1/4 of the shredded carrots, 1/4 of the red pepper, 1/4 of the avocado slices, 1/4 cup sugarsnap peas, 1/4 block of smoked tofu, 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and 1/2 of a thinly sliced nori sheet. Top salads with a few spoons of miso vinaigrette and some sriracha, hoisin sauce, or soy sauce, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Shutterbean