Restaurant-style hummus right here. The creamiest, the tastiest…I love this stuff.

Perfectly Smooth Hummus

And it’s all in the chickpeas themselves.

The secret? You’ve got to peel them. I’ve made a lot of homemade hummus before, which always tastes delicious, but if you want that fancy, smooth hummus, you need to peel your chickpeas.

#justdoit

Perfectly Smooth Hummus

I mean, look at that sassy dip!!

Perfectly Smooth Hummus

The unfortunate thing is that this will disappear FAST. It’s perfect.

Perfectly Smooth Hummus

Perfectly Smooth Hummus

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 1 1/2 cups hummus

• 1 (19-ounce can) can chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about ½ a lemon)
  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
  • 6-8 tbsp reserved chickpea juice from the can
  • Olive oil, parsley, paprika for serving

1. Drain the canned chickpeas and reserve the juice in a small glass measuring cup.
  2. Remove the skins from the chickpeas. To do this, pinch the chickpeas between your thumb and forefinger, with the pointy side facing your hand. Squeeze the chickpea and the skin will pop right off. Place the skinned chickpea in a food processor and the skins in the trash.
  3. Once all the chickpeas are skinned and in the food processor, pulse until the chickpeas turn into sandy looking crumbles. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides a few times.
  4. Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and blend until smooth, scraping the bowl of your food processor, as needed. Slowly add the chickpea juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the hummus can blend without catching and is completely smooth (you may need to add 1 tbsp more of reserved juice). Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt or lemon juice, if needed.
  5. At this point, you can either serve the hummus right away (I prefer room temperature hummus since it is more authentic) or you can chill it for an hour or so.
  6. When ready to serve, spread the hummus out onto a serving plate and top with good quality olive oil, chopped fresh parsley, and a sprinkle of paprika.
  7. Serve with pita wedges and some chopped vegetables.

Recipe adapted from Neighbor Food via Smitten Kitchen

21 Responses to Perfectly Smooth Hummus

1. i made hummus last night but obviously did not peel the skin. these smooth luscious hummus will hopefully motivate me to do that next time. also, alot of people say that using dry, cooked chickpeas are better than canned version, any idea? i always use canned version.

2. Cakespy says:

Oh hummus, you’ve got such smooooooooooth moves. This looks amazing.

3. I don’t know why I keep buying store-made hummus. I need to just make my own and use your recipe! Thanks for the tip on removing the chickpea skins!

4. Laura says:

will be having a go, I always make my own humus but it’s never like yours

5. This trick totally works!!!! This looks so smooooooth. Yum!

6. This looks so CREAMY! I must try this soon.

7. Skinning all those chickpeas is totally worth it to achieve this creamy texture! Yum 🙂

8. I always wondered why my homemade hummus was never as smooth! Totally skinning those babies next time – thanks!

9. Your hummus looks sublime – I had no idea about peeling the chick peas – you learn something new every day.

I recently also learned you can make the equivalent of ‘meringue’ with the chick pea juice – now known as aquafaba – can’t wait to try that too!

Thanks for this great tip!

Aquafaba??? What the? I can’t tell if I am totally disgusted or super into it. I need to Google this…

10. Oana says:

It sure looks perfectly smooth. Hummus is a new discovery to me, we used to make a white bean spread which is slightly similar, but I love hummus more. A bit of za’atar always goes well with it.

11. That hummus indeed looks perfect! I want to dip a pita chip into my laptop screen haha

12. Smooth creamy hummus is always the best!!!

13. Sugar et al. says:

So creamy and smooth..your hummus is perfection!

14. Oh my! This hummus is perfect! I’ve heard about this little trick but have never tried it! That super creamy texture in your pics makes me think it’s well worth the effort! Must try! Pinned!

Oh hummus, how I love you. I really need to just peel my chickpeas once to try … I’m always too lazy!! haha

16. That hummus looks perfect, Katrina! So smooth and creamy – yum!! 🙂

Sad, but true. Peeled is so much better!!

18. Chickpeas are definitely one of my favourite things! This looks gorgeous Katrina 😀 I also just posted a recipe for a Mediterranean version 🙂 Happy weekend! x

19. Allison says:

Definitely trying this! I think that I’ll put the kids in charge of peeling those chickpeas.