I’m not eating like I should. Seeing someone I love in so much pain is hands down the hardest thing I’ve ever done, and I’m not ashamed to say that I eat my feelings.
This past weekend I saw my Gran for the first time since she’s been in the hospital. She was small and frail and quiet. She spoke about pain and being afraid. Watching this…seeing this…is not something I was prepared for.
Yes, she’s 97. Yes, she has cancer. Yes, she’s dying. But knowing these things doesn’t make it easier.
I need to eat better while dealing with this. I’m still “eating right”, I guess. But I probably shouldn’t eat three brownies after making a nice big salad.
The good thing about this salad is that it has honey toasted pecans and walnuts along with some fresh blueberries to sweeten things up. Definitely my kind of salad. Plus, it packs well for lunches, which is always a good thing!
So whether or not you’re trying to cut back on eating spoonfuls of Nutella, or not, this salad is absolutely delicious. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 heads (8 cups) broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/3 cup raw walnut halves
- 1/3 cup raw pecan halves
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Add the chopped broccoli florets, red onion, blueberries, dried cranberries and pine nuts to a large serving bowl. Toss everything together.
- Prepare the honey toasted nuts by combining all of the ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 5 to 8 minutes until mixture is very bubbly and walnuts have caramelized and turned golden-brown. Transfer nuts to a sheet of parchment paper and quickly separate nuts with fork. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by combining the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, honey, chia seeds and salt in a small mason jar or bowl. Give the mason jar a good shake (or stir your ingredients in a bowl).
- To assemble the salad, pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and top with honey toasted nuts.