Happy February! Time for these days to get a bit longer, don’t you think?

janthings

I’m yearning for Spring, for the ability to walk home with my groceries and not have the produce I just bought freeze in the bags, and for more light in general.

January was cold, but warmth was brought into my life in many ways. I found out that two of my best friends are expecting (totalling THREE besties that will be producing little ones this year) and lots of warm meals came out of my kitchen.

My favorite recipe that I made was my mini chocolate cakes with salted caramel buttercream

Mini Chocolate Cakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream

…but my homemade cinnamon marshmallows and homemade hot chocolate are a close second!!

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

I baked and cooked a lot from other blogs this month as well. Want some fun new recipes? Below are the ones I made and loved!

Apple, Cranberry and Pecan Spinach Salad by Cooking Classy
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Portobellos by Annie’s Eats
Oatmeal Waffles by Pass the Sushi
Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Spaghetti Squash by Taste and Tell
Lentil and Hummus Bowls by Bev Cooks
Cast Iron Baked Eggs in Tomato Sauce by The Baking Bird
Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake by A Cozy Kitchen

Also, I also made a blog discovery, which excites me more that you know. Check out I Will Not Eat Oysters for some seriously creative recipes. This bread pudding is a pure dream.

bread pudding
Photo by: I Will Not Eat Oysters

Other January Stuff?

I started taking French lessons twice a week (one of my 30 Things to Do Before 30)!

This new David Attenborough series Life Story is seriously amazing. Lots of cuddly baby animals, awesome photography and love stories. You can watch the first episode here actually. Isn’t nature the best?!

I just finished Season 1 of American Horror Story. Anyone else watch it? Deciding if I should bother with Season 2.

Paul and I are working our way through the Oscar Nominations. So far we’ve seen all the nominations except for American Sniper and Selma…but my vote is for Boyhood.

The new Invisibilia podcast is soooo good!! I don’t even miss Serial…which is saying a lot.

And my mother in law made a Facebook page to show her nature photography. She also has a blog, which you can check out too! She’s a crazy owl lady and I love her to death.

That’s all folks. Have a great February!!

16 Responses to January Things

1. thank you for sharing so many good links esp the podcast. I cant wait to check it out.

It’s great!! One of the girls is from Radio Lab and the other is from This American Life. They tell stories in such a gripping way!

2. Great links! I also made a lemon pound cake, but from another blog!

3. You didn’t like ASH Season 1?? That’s my favorite season! I think yo u should keep watching because S2 is an iconic season for the show. Most people cite it as their favorite. It is very different from S1 (different setting and time) so if you didn’t like the first season you might still like the second.

I did like it!! But I’m just not sure about the other seasons because I heard they’re different. Happy to hear season 2 is supposed to be good!

4. Cakespy says:

You’re already making the days longer with posts like this, which are like sunshine!

5. Sippitysup says:

I WILL eat oysters, of course I’d eat bread pudding too. Hers (his??) is a beauty. GREG

6. So many lovely January things 🙂 I have just opened some of the links to the recipes by other bloggers that you also made in addition to your amazing dishes <3 I cannot wait for brighter and longer days either, we have had some sunshine the last few days, and it has made such a great difference!
    I hope February has been good to you so far Katrina 🙂 xx

7. Leslie says:

Thanks for the shout- out Katrina! I would like to jump through the computer and eat that cake.

8. Lovely links! I’m feeling the days get a little longer and I’m thrilled! 🙂

9. Alana says:

TOTALLY MISSED THOSE MARSHIES!! OMG. They look amazing, lady!! Happy February to you!

10. I can’t wait to listen to Invisibilia–I’ve heard so many good things! We started binge-watching The Following (with Kevin Bacon) and it is definitely worth a watch. That cake looks like my every dream come true 🙂

11. I just finished Serial today and started Invisibilia directly after! So glad to hear I won’t miss Serial! I LOVED season 1 of American Horror Story but literally couldn’t even watch season 2. Hated it. Felt like they were just trying to outdo themselves in every moment and it was too much. My current TV obsessions: Broadchurch and The Fall. So good! (The Following is great too!) Just my .02 cents =)

The.Boy and I are working our way through Oscar nominations also!! I think Boyhood is your favorite just because you haven’t seen American Sniper and Selma…those are my two favorites!!

13. French lessons sound fun and that’s a great idea to watch all of the oscar nominees. Have an awesome February.