After a long jaunt or frolic in the snow, hot chocolate is my favorite winter drink.

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

And I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but here in Montreal it has been freezing cold.

All day. Every day.

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

But, it wouldn’t be a proper winter without the cold, and so like any Canadian I am embracing the freezing wind and ice-covered sidewalks with open arms and frozen eyelashes.

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

Because coming home to a hot drink, and this hot drink in particular, is like stepping into a fabulous hot shower after a long ski.

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

The hot chocolate in this recipe is what I call “perfect hot chocolate” because it’s the recipe I’ve been making since before I ever made anything by myself.

It’s simply melted chocolate chips, cocoa powder, milk, sugar and salt, and I wouldn’t change a thing. My 15 year old self knew her drinking chocolate.

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

The homemade marshmallows in this recipe add some extra pizzazz, which you can take or leave, but after seeing Joy the Baker’s gingerbread spiced marshmallows I knew that I HAD to have them in my hot chocolate.

And so I made them, only made a cinnamon marshmallow with Joy’s delicious idea of dipping them in chocolate and sprinkling them with crushed cookies.

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

I say make your weekend fancy with a mug of this. You won’t regret it!

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

xx

Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

Perfect hot chocolate with homemade chocolate dipped cinnamon marshmallows.

Marshmallows:
  • Hot Chocolate:
  • 2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 pinch salt

1. To make the marshmallows, spray an 8×8-inch baking pan with baking spray and coat with powdered sugar. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the gelatin with 1/2 cup of cold water and let sit for about 10 minutes.
  3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar, corn syrup, salt and the remaining cold water to a boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring the mixture up to 240 degrees F, whisking along the way. Once sugar is heated to 240 degrees F, add the mix to the gelatin and water and mix everything together with a hand mixer on low. Gradually increase the speed of the mixer, being careful to avoid splashing yourself. Beat on high for several minutes until a thick, fluffy, white marshmallow batter has formed, about 8 minutes. Pour in the vanilla extract and cinnamon and beat for another 2 minutes.
  4. Spread the marshmallow mixture into prepared pan and smooth with a wet spatula to prevent sticking. Top marshmallow with powdered sugar and let rest for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
  5. When set, remove marshmallows from the pan and place on a large cutting board coated with powdered sugar. Cut the marshmallows using a large knife covered in baking spray.
  6. Melt chocolate over a double boiler, or in the microwave. Dip one side of each marshmallow in it and sprinkle with gingersnap crumbs and allow to cool. Store at room temperature in an air tight container.
  7. For the hot chocolate, in a small saucepan, mix the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, 1/2 cup of the milk and sugar over low heat. Stir continuously until the chocolate is completely melted. Add the rest of the milk and the salt and stir to heat entire mixture completely, about 5 minutes. Stir in extra sugar, if necessary.
  8. Pour hot chocolate into a mug and top with marshmallows. Enjoy!

Marshmallows adapted from Joy the Baker

Marshmallows can be kept for up to 1 week, well wrapped

61 Responses to Chocolate Dipped Cinnamon Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate

1. alycia@foodblogit says:

I love the rustic look if these. When I see something like a marshmallow that homemade, you have my attention. Great recipe! thanks for sharing!

2. June Burns says:

Ah that looks amazing! I love cinnamon + chocolate, such a cozy flavor combination 🙂

3. a good cup of hot chocolate deserves this esp with that freezing temp. move to dallas 🙂

• Laura @ RYG says:

Can’t imagine how nice the weather is in Dallas….nice! I’m really just a hop, skip and a jump from Montreal and from those delicious marshmallows which are just blowing my mind right now. I really like the cinnamon in this! Just was reading that cinnamon helps with acne (yes, as an adult in my mid,…ok pushing upper 30’s, I still get acne…bleh!) And it’s supposedly helps with allergies!! I love cocoa like this before bed as a nightcap.

4. Kathryn says:

Love the pictures in this post – I feel all warm and cosy just looking at them! There’s nothing better than a mug of something rich and comforting like this on a chilly day.

5. Oh my gosh, Katrina! This looks sooo good. I need to throw out my Swiss Miss – stat. Those marshmallows are to die for! Great photos. Pinned!

6. This really does look like the perfect hot chocolate – thick, rich and full of chocolate-y goodness! And those marshmallows! Don’t even get me started on those!! 🙂

7. It’s been freeeeezing here too! I love a good hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows, so this looks PERFECT!

8. Nanny says:

Made some the other day. DELICIOUS . Here’s to the cold weather. Thanks Katrina

9. Va-va-voom! Now that is what I call a hot chocolate for sure 😀 I love how you actually dipped the marshmallows in chocolate and other goodies beforehand too, it looks simply luscious 😀 x

10. This looks so decadent and yummy! I could live on this all winter long. 🙂

11. I applaud you, Katrina! Embracing the freezing wind and ice-covered sidewalks and all. . what I can’t get over here in WI is that if you have any moisture in your nose, well, that freezes too. crazy .. warming up to this hot chocolate is brilliant and the chocolate-dipped-cinnamon-marshmallows are a dream!! LOVE!

12. Amymak says:

This looks delicious. Love your slant on cooking healthy. I’m a biology geek too (actually I teach anatomy & physiology) and I’m also a runner and mom. So, I’m always looking for good healthy food! Thanks for the recipe – and beautiful photography!

13. Cinnamon and hot chocolate are so great together. These marshmallows look incredible – that would be the perfect drink on a cold day! Although it’s crazy warm in Edmonton right now, 10 degrees! I don’t even understand it. Although I actually wish it would stay a bit colder so we could still do winter stuff – never thought I’d say that! 🙂

14. This looks so good and the perfect thing to warm me up right now!

15. Oh wow yum. These look so deliciously sinful on a cold winters night. Can’t wait to rug up on the sofa with a mugful when it gets colder here. Right now I could do a ice cold traditional lemonade 🙂

16. It’s never that cold here in SF, but I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE SO BAD. I haven’t made marshmallows in literally years!

17. Okay…I’ve never made marshmallows because I’ve never really been a fan of the store-bought but your pictures and heavenly description have caused me to take pause. This drink is worth frozen lashes!

18. Wow, you have me craving a warm cuppa hot cocoa! You’re so brave for facing the weather with a warm mug in hand! Stay warm, friend! 🙂

19. Obsessed with the recipe and the pictures! I need these marshmallows in my life. Pinning 🙂

20. Zainab says:

Oh I live in Syracuse so I KNOW the cold everyday business. I love love this hot chocolate.

21. You’re photos are so enticing. Wish I had a big mug of hot cocoa right now. I’ve made Joy’s recipe too and they are the BOMB!

22. Oh girl, I feel your winter blues pain! It has been glacial over here and a mug of this gorgeous hot chocolate looks like just the thing I need. And those marshmallows? Perfect pillows of awesome!

23. Amanda says:

This looks crazy delicious!!!

24. Jim D says:

It is cold here in Michigan too…but I don’t know if it’s as cold as Montreal. I definitely need to try this hot chocolate though…easy enough to make and looks amazing! Have a nice (and hopefully warmer) weekend.

25. Allison says:

Hot chocolate is pretty much the only chocolate I can fully get on board with. Nothing in the world makes me happier than a mug of it. This looks so elegant and homey and I want one right now! Gorgeous photos and recipe! Wow!

26. carol lou says:

Love the hot chocolate with the dramatic marshmallows – outstanding presentation

My goodness those marshmallows!! They are so fun! I love a good cup of hot cocoa on cold winter days!

Regular old marshmallows are pretty awesome (at least, the homemade kind) but CINNAMON. You just blew my mind!

29. CakeSpy says:

HAPPYTOWN. Population = ME

30. Trisha says:

These are so delicious looking. I have never made marshmallows, but I really need to give them a try. A good way to get through this cold winter.

31. Yum! Your marshmallows look amazing!

32. Monica says:

Sitting here anticipating a blizzard, this hot chocolate looks so insanely good right now! That really is a perfect cup of hot chocolate. Well done! : )

33. Oh, heavens, this looks SO good. Hot cocoa is still one of my favorite childhood treats, and I love this glammed up version with those fancy marshmallows. And what gorgeous pictures!

34. Erica says:

Oh my WORD!!! I’ve gotta have this right. now. Amazing pictures and fantastic recipe, I shall be trying it for sure!!

35. This looks absolutely divine! Definitely pinning this! Yum!

36. Now this is a hot chocolate! I’ve been drinking that Nestle powdered cocoa, and this cannot even compare. This looks perfectly decadent and chocolaty!

37. Daria says:

what good looks, I want a cup. Only when I look at it I think of a mountain chalet, quiet and plenty of rest.

38. your photos made me drool a little bit!! thanks for sharing your recipe. cant wait to make this 🙂

39. As the East Coast is being ravaged by a white cloak of billowing snow, I look at this and think “Yeah that would hit the spot right now.” This looks like it would melt that all away.

40. Agness says:

I was looking for a healthy recipe for a dessert and this looks absolutely amazing to me! Omomomomom!! I’m in love with your goodie!

41. Kate says:

I just found your blog and am eager to try some of your tasty looking recipes. I am just a little confused about this one. I was really excited to try making homemade vegetarian marshmallows, but gelatin is NOT vegetarian. Wondering if you could clarify for me.

• Kate says:

I am super sorry about the double comment. I could not find my first when I returned to your site. Then poof right after I left the second, it appeared.

Hey! Happy you popped by. This little space is a vegetarian food blog, but I use animal by products in some of the recipes. You’ll also see dairy and eggs around here too. Sorry to disappoint!

42. mmm….Those marshmallows look so yummy and fluffy.

43. This awful freezing cold definitely calls for loads of winter drinks, and this might just about be the best looking hot chocolate to date. Love the dipped and sprinkled marshmallows and love even more that you decided to make them cinnamon flavored!

44. Alana says:

These marshies are everything!!

45. […] – Kahlua Chocolate Pudding with Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies 24) Warm Vanilla Sugar – Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows and Perfect Hot Chocolate 25) Pink Recipe Box – Healthy Chocolate Cake […]

46. OMG how did I miss this? These look absolutely delightful! It’s warmed up in Portland considerably, but I definitely still want to snuggle down with these marshmallows + hot chocolate. XOXO

47. […] and amongst all the cozy recipes that I’ve been snuggling up with recently I have been eating some healthy stuff […]