Last week I mentioned that there will be a whole bunch of breakfast and dessert recipes coming up. I wasn’t kidding!

Jalapeño, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Frittata

But, just like some of you commented, breakfast, eggs and delicious vegetables can be eaten for any meal, vegetarian or not.

So I made frittata!

Jalapeño, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Frittata

This recipe is lovely, and is stuffed with delicious black beans, spicy sweet potatoes, red peppers, cilantro and cheddar.

Jalapeño, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Frittata

I love my eggs packed with colour!

Jalapeño, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Frittata

And topping pretty much anything off with an avocado slice is always a good plan. Yum!

Jalapeño, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Frittata

• 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
  • 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • For Serving (optional):
  • Avocado slices
  • Salsa
  • Toast

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Over medium-low heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large cast iron skillet. Once hot, add in diced sweet potato, black beans, minced garlic and chopped jalapeño. Stir and let cook for about a minute, and then add in honey, salt, pepper and vegetable broth. Cover and cook until the potatoes are soft and the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 8 minutes. Once cooked remove from heat and set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil and once hot, sauté peppers and onions for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become soft. Set aside.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cheddar and fresh cilantro. Add some salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
  5. Once sweet potato mixture is cooked, add sautéed peppers and onions to the potato skillet and mix together. Over low heat, add egg mixture to the vegetables and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring only once at the beginning to evenly disperse ingredients.
  6. Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and cook until middle is set solid, about 20 minutes.
  7. Serve warm and garnish with avocados, salsa, or any fun ingredient you can think of!

Recipe adapted from The Faux Martha

34 Responses to Jalapeño, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Frittata

1. This is my kind of breakfast. 🙂 I love the ingredient list and it looks so colorful and savory. Pinned!

2. I love a breakfast packed full of veggies. I might even make this for dinner so I can have leftovers for breakfasts 🙂

3. These are some of my favorite flavors! It’s so colorful too!

4. Sues says:

It’s such a good idea to start your day with so many bright colors! This looks delicious!

5. Beautiful frittata! I love my fittatas colourful, too. Really brightens up my morning 🙂

6. Gorgeous pictures and styling! This frittata looks perfect! I could eat this anytime of day, too! So good!

7. Amanda says:

I love this! What a great brunch idea!

8. Jenny @ BAKE says:

This is my kind of breakfast! it looks incredible!

9. Yum! Eggs packed with colour are definitely where it’s at! That looks fantastic!

10. i love your flavor combination here — simple and good! i can’t get enough cilantro lately. i’ve got some nice serrano peppers in the fridge and some sweet potatoes and beans around. i bet this starchy combination would make a really great tofu frittata! i’ll let you know if i try it.

YES!! Frittata is great because you can essentially use the base recipe and then throw anything you want in it to make it more personal. I hope your version is awesome!! xx

• reporting back (’cause i’m all diligent like that): i had never actually made a tofu frittata before, and i was imagining the tofu base to be a lot more watery, similar to eggs. but mine was dense and starchy, so the addition of starchy sweet potatoes and starchy beans was totally not the direction i should have gone with the tofu. ah well — i’ll know for next time!

it definitely had me fantasizing about your eggy frittata with an avocado slice on top. cheers!

11. Sippitysup says:

That’s a beautiful frittata. I just got back from Buenos Aires where they are mad for frittata and I ate them several times as a first dinner. Dining is at 11pm, so I always needed something light with protein to hold me over. The frittatas there are quite different than ours. Almost paper thin. They were also more creamy, but I don’t think there was cream in them– almost like scrambled eggs, I guess. The various toppings like prosciutto, cheese and herbs were piled on top rather than mixed in. I was tried to call them omelettes once, but the Italian woman at the next table overheard me and let me know that they were certainly NOT omelettes. She Semantics I suppose, but I couldn’t get her to agree. Did you run across thin frittatas in Italy?? GREG

Oh wow!! I would love to try a thin frittata. Funny how very similar recipes can be so different depending on what country you’re in. I had something like frittata in Palermo, and like you, found it really creamy with vegetables and herbs placed on top, but it wasn’t thin…oh how I’d love to recreate it.

Think you’ll be trying a Buenos Aires frittata at home any time soon? I’d love to try it if you ever figure out a recipe and put it up on Sippity Sup!

12. Frittatas are a weeknight staple for dinner in my household so this recipe is ideal for me – I love that you used black beans especially as I love them but rarely cook with them!

13. Katrina – this looks amazing! What a lovely start top the day serving this up 🙂 Possibly one of the most colourful frittatas I have ever laid my eyes on, beautiful 🙂 Especially topped with the creamy avocado – delicious 🙂 Thanks for inspiring, and have a lovely Tuesday evening 🙂 xx

14. CakeSpy says:

I could eat this all day long. ALL DAY LONG I tell you!

15. Frittata’s are the best. This one looks beautiful.

16. Seriously stunning! Love the punch of jalapeno and the earthy black beans! Gorgeous colors 🙂

17. Oh yeah, I could definitely go for this beautiful frittata any time of day! Love the addition of sweet potato!

18. Karishma says:

I love frittatas! And I love the tex mex type feeling of this one. This also sounds perfect to use up a can of black beans and a sweet potato lying around. Definitely going to have to try this out!

19. Pure Ella says:

wow! This looks so beautiful and vibrant!
    My husband would die for this – wish I still ate eggs to make this! ;(

20. This is just what I need to make it through a cold winter’s day! Lovely colors in this dish!

Well I definitely wish I had had this for breakfast! All those veggies stuffed into that frittata has to be a good thing.

22. Oh wow! This looks amazing! And it is so easily adaptable to my Paleo diet. I can’t wait to try it out… the pictures are making me hungry! 🙂

23. Agness says:

You rock in the kitchen, girl! What a great recipe. I’ve never made it, but it looks absolutely healthy and above all delicious!

24. Katie says:

This looks amazing! Need to try it out for sure!

25. Love this southwest take on a frittata!

26. Bea says:

I love my eggs packed with colour too!What a beautiful recipe!

27. I’ve recently started eating eggs again, and this recipe looks amazing! Mmmm egg and avocado – I can’t wait to make this!

28. […] I guess I just love baking eggs. Because it makes no difference to me whether my mouth is full of frittata or quiche. I can’t get enough of […]

29. plasterers bristol says:

This sounds amazing. Thanks for posting this up. Something different to try as well.

Simon