These short days are killing me.
Without any natural light in my kitchen at dinner time for food photos you guys are going to be seeing a whole bunch of breakfast and dessert recipes until next month.
Hopefully we’re cool…dessert always wins at life.
And honestly, breakfast is my meal of choice. I want it all day, every day. And luckily this recipe comes together in a jiffy!
It’s a simple poached egg placed on grainy toast and sliced avocado with shaved parmesan and basil for toppers. Served alongside some halved cherry tomatoes and I’m smitten!
Happy weekend everyone! xx
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thinly
- Pinch shaved Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh basil for topping
- Halved cherry tomatoes, for serving
- Heat a cast iron skillet with a few inches of water in it over medium heat. Add white vinegar to the water. When the water comes to a simmer, keep it there and make sure it doesn't hard boil.
- Working with the eggs one at a time, crack an egg into a small cup or ramekin and then place the cup near the surface of the hot water and gently drop the egg into the water. With a spatula, nudge the egg whites closer to their yolks to help the egg whites hold together. After about 3 to 4 minutes of cooking time, scoop the egg out with a slotted spoon and let it drain on a folded paper towel.
- Prepare your toast, and to each piece add 1/4 of an avocado and a poached egg. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan, sea salt, cracked pepper, and fresh basil.
- Serve with the fresh halved cherry tomatoes.
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum