These short days are killing me.

Poached Egg and Avocado Toast with Parmesan

Without any natural light in my kitchen at dinner time for food photos you guys are going to be seeing a whole bunch of breakfast and dessert recipes until next month.

Poached Egg and Avocado Toast with Parmesan

Hopefully we’re cool…dessert always wins at life.

And honestly, breakfast is my meal of choice. I want it all day, every day. And luckily this recipe comes together in a jiffy!

Poached Egg and Avocado Toast with Parmesan

It’s a simple poached egg placed on grainy toast and sliced avocado with shaved parmesan and basil for toppers. Served alongside some halved cherry tomatoes and I’m smitten!

Poached Egg and Avocado Toast with Parmesan

• 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced thinly
  • Pinch shaved Parmesan cheese
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Fresh cracked pepper
  • Fresh basil for topping
  • Halved cherry tomatoes, for serving

1. Heat a cast iron skillet with a few inches of water in it over medium heat. Add white vinegar to the water. When the water comes to a simmer, keep it there and make sure it doesn't hard boil.
  2. Working with the eggs one at a time, crack an egg into a small cup or ramekin and then place the cup near the surface of the hot water and gently drop the egg into the water. With a spatula, nudge the egg whites closer to their yolks to help the egg whites hold together. After about 3 to 4 minutes of cooking time, scoop the egg out with a slotted spoon and let it drain on a folded paper towel.
  3. Prepare your toast, and to each piece add 1/4 of an avocado and a poached egg. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan, sea salt, cracked pepper, and fresh basil.
  4. Serve with the fresh halved cherry tomatoes.

Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum

34 Responses to Poached Egg and Avocado Toast with Parmesan

1. I can’t wait for the days to get longer! It’s killing my game! But I like your plan of just eating breakfast and desserts in the meantime!

2. Sues says:

This is my idea breakfast/lunch/dinner. And it’s beautiful, too!!

3. Don’t laugh….but we just had our first poached eggs the other day. We were sunny side up people, you see? This is great. Now that I took over breakfast making responsibilities from my wife too (she is very happy about this)

4. Oh man this looks amazing for breakfast! Much better than my boring muffin this morning!

5. I’d love to wake up to this. Beautiful! And I hear you about the short days! Sucks.

6. Bring on the breakfasts!! I’m pretty sure I could live off of breakfast for lunch and dinner, and be totally satisfied, especially if it’s this gorgeous and included a runny egg….

7. Yum! Eggs and avocado on toast is the best meal. That could be breakfast, lunch, or supper! And the short days are incredibly annoying. I even made supper at 3 o’clock yesterday in hopes of getting a decent picture, and it was still too dark by the time I actually took one. It wasn’t even 4 yet. So annoying. Can’t wait for longer days!

8. You cant beat avocado toast. I don’t think I’ve had it with poached egg before but love them so this is going to be happening for breakfast I think.

9. xo amys says:

This looks amazing! I love avocados, will try this on the weekend. I eat one avocado almost every day 🙂 love them! Be sure to check out my blog aswell, I love to cook clean nordic food.

10. I completely agree, the shorter days make this blogging business difficult. On a positive note, breakfast is the best meal of the day so there are endless options for how to start the day. This looks delicious!

11. <3

*note to self: practice egg poaching*

12. This is most definitely in my breakfast need category, YUM!

13. Jim D says:

Katrina – this looks wonderful! And I agree with you about having breakfast anytime of day…especially since I’m usually on auto pilot in the morning and not ambitious enough to make a delicious breakfast like this. Thanks for sharing!

14. Ale says:

This looks so tasty, it’s wonderful!!!!
    I’m an Italian girl and I really like you website!
    It’s full of beautiful recipes 🙂
    I would be really happy if you visited mine…here’s my link: https://golosedelizie.blogspot.com
    I hope to see you on my blog soon 🙂
    Ale

15. Allison says:

Perfection! Pinned . . . because I need to make this for breakfast asap.

16. Mmmmm I could live off eggs and toast. The avo and cherry tomatoes make this sounds so good. I see this being a necessity for this weekend for sure.

The short days are killing me for photos too! I keep trying to play with extra lights in the kitchen, or prep everything I can early. Hubs thinks I’m nuts. Blogger problems right?

xoxo
    Katie

17. This is making me hungry! Love it!

18. kita says:

Can I just say your toast looks sexy? Is that allowed? Cuz… it totally does.

19. Amanda says:

This is perfectly simple, I love everything about this!!!

20. Dessert totally wins life. And so does breakfast. I could live off of those things and be totally happy! Love this recipe! Bright, colorful, and downright amazing looking! Pinned

21. This is perfection on a plate! My kind of breakfast, especially that avocado 🙂

I loveee breakfast for dinner so bring em’ on!! The husband is silly and won’t eat breakfast for dinner so that’s what I do whenever he’s out of town or out for the night 🙂 Looks awesome!

23. This is a meal I could have easily for any meal. In fact I do—–I am a major fan of both eggs and avocados. I can substantiate that this is quite tasty and satisfying.

24. This breakfast is gorgeous! I hear you on hating the short days! Even in the mornings here it’s dark sometimes! Whenever an inch of sun comes out I have my camera ready to go to photograph!

25. I’ll take breakfast and dessert anytime of the day and poached egg anything and I love it!!! you could always just make dinner in the morning and then, God forbid, re-heat it at night when you actually eat it. . this is what I did a lot when we lived in Seattle . .

26. elizabeth says:

I love this recipe – so simple to make. You can’t beat runny eggs, parmesan and veggies on toast.

27. Yes, yes, yes anddddd yes! So many of my favorite flavors in a single, sliceable dish! YUM!

Breakfast and dessert are my two favorite meals so…YES YES YES! Especially if there are poached eggs involved. Swooning.

29. This looks great Katrina. What a delicious breakfast.

30. Now this is what I cal a perfect and simple light meal!