Homemade granola bars are better than store bought granola bars. Fact.

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

And realistically, I don’t make them enough.

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

When I buy granola bars I buy three brands: Nature Valley Sweet and Salty, Cliff Bars, and Larabars. I’ve managed to master Larabars, am working on a Sweet and Salty copycat, and would do some unholy things for the Cliff Bar recipe. But these bars, these, are the bar of my childhood.

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

My Mom used to buy the Quaker chocolate chip granola bars for my lunches when I was still living at home. They tasted delicious, but as an adult I haven’t been able to justify buying them with so many healthier alternatives available.

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

So, I found a way to bring one of my childhood favorites back into my own kitchen. And I never have to look back.

Here, I present to you my ultimate favorite granola bar. Guys, these are perfect.

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

They’re easy to make with a vegan and gluten free option, are sweetened with dates and a bit of honey, and they are so, so delicious.

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

I’m so excited I could scream!!

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

I hope you like these as much as I do!

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 10 granola bars

• 1 1/2 cups rolled oats**
  • 1 cup packed pitted dates
  • 1/4 cup raw pecan halves
  • 1/2 cup whole raw almonds
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips*, plus more for sprinkling on top
  • 1/4 cup honey*
  • 1/4 cup smooth almond butter

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
  2. Spread rolled oats evenly on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven to toast for about 10-15 minutes, or until the oats become fragrant, shaking the sheet once in the middle of baking. When the oats are done, add them to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
  3. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
  4. Place dates in a food processor and pulse until a ball is formed. Transfer dates the mixing bowl with the toasted oats, and add the nuts, salt and chocolate chips. Stir with a wooden spoon or your hands, making sure to evenly disperse the dates as much as possible throughout the rest of the ingredients.
  5. Bring honey and almond butter to a boil over medium heat and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir everything together quickly so that your chocolate chips melt. Make sure everything is well mixed.
  6. Transfer mixture to your prepared pan and press everything into the pan using a spatula so that you have a smooth and uniformly flat top.
  7. Sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top and press them into the bars with the back of a spatula. Top with a piece of plastic wrap, and pop them into the freezer to set for 15 minutes.
  8. Remove and cut into 10 bars.
  9. Store in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for longer term storage.

Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker

*For a vegan option, sub maple syrup for the honey and use vegan chocolate chips

**For a gluten free option, use gluten free rolled oats

46 Responses to Nutty + Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars

1. I also love making homemade granola bars and energy bites and need to make them more!!! Thanks for the reminder! These nutty-fudgy-almond-butter-granola-bars look so good!!! Can’t wait to try this!

2. I don’t make granola bars as often as I’d like either! That’s gonna have to change, because I can hardly stand how perfect these look—love all the dates packed into them! Pinned. πŸ™‚

3. I can’t get over how good these look! I love granola bars but have never made them from scratch…that is about to change! πŸ™‚

4. Sues says:

These look way better than anything you could buy in the store!

5. These would make a perfect afternoon snack. They look so yummy and dense, just the way I like my bars. I usually need a snacl around 4pm in the office, because lets be real, I never leave at 5pm, so I need something to keep me satisfied but not full until dinner time.

6. You had me at fudgy and almond butter! Homemade granola bars are the best, yet I don’t make them nearly often enough!

7. Ellie says:

You’re right. Homemade are so much better! And I hardly ever make them. These look delicious so it looks like I might have to get making them again!

8. Michelle @ Green Earth Bazaar says:

Those look absolutely scrumptious! I’m am definitely going to give these a try.

Found your blog from Food Faith Fitness blog. So happy to have it. πŸ˜‰

9. Yes! I know the exact granola bars you’re referring to! and they’re more like candy bars than granola bars. But hey, that was all we had back then. I love your version! πŸ™‚

10. These look so wonderful. I’m loving all of the healthy ingredients!

11. Eileen says:

These sound excellent! One of these days I need to get a food processor so I can actually make granola bars at home…

12. Couldn’t agree with you more, Katrina! Homemade granola bars are 100x better than shop bought! They look like the perfect afternoon or mid-morning pick-me-up! Bookmarking, thank you so much for sharing!

13. I also don’t make granola bars often enough. These look amazing! Also reminds me of my childhood. I love it!

14. Wow. These definitely look better than the bars in the stores. I love all of the rich colors.

15. A perfect grab and go healthy bar. I’m going to surprise my daughter with these!

16. Holy smoke! These look purrrfect! And darn, you keep whippin’ up goodies despite living abroad and doing ALL the things πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for the recipe! Should you manage to make copycat Trek bars as well, I would not complain, but these – these need to be made in the near future! Thanks πŸ˜€ x

Trek bars look awesome!! I’ve never had them before and just Googled them – yummy. Now I just need to try them and THEN figure out how to make them. Or you know? You could make them and I could copy your recipe. lol

Agreed – I love making granola bars at home! These look completely delicious!

18. Lindsay says:

I just made these and they are so good!! I didn’t even realize they were no-bake before I started. I’m and for not reading recipies through. Thanks for the recipe! I’m excited for my son to try them tomorrow.

Already?! Girl, I love you! That makes me sooooo happy xooxxo.

• Lindsay says:

Yep! Seriously, great recipe! I will be making it again!

My kid is an egg guy in the morning, as am I, but some mornings my “threenager” doesn’t want to get out of bed and there is no time for eggs!! These are working out great, and they’re a treat too!

19. I love homemade granola bars, but these extra nutty fudgy bars look perfect! I need these in my life!

20. Trisha says:

I have dates and almond butter that I have been puzzling over how to use. I just figured it out! Can’t wait to try these!

21. Yum! We are almost at the bottom of our supply of granola bars (I made tons over the summer and the result was a rather impressive stash in the freezer), might be time to fire up the oven and get going on them again!

22. I love the idea of making your own granola bars at home! Can’t wait to give this a try as an on the go breakfast!

I grew up on the Quaker granola bars! and lots of Nature Valley also, but the Quakers were like junk food in the best way….because they were mom-approved! So excited I can make my own now!

24. Alana says:

All about these fudgy almond butter granola bars. They’re like the big sister version of those amazing Quaker granola bars of our youth. Love it!

25. I love granola bars, but like you, I don’t make them nearly enough. Heck, I don’t even eat them nearly enough. It’s just that… well…. okay, I don’t really have an excuse, especially now that there are these fudgy almond butter granola bars starting at my face. I am so excited about these, too. Let’s scream together!

26. Those look so good and can I tell myself they are doing me good too?!

27. elly says:

These look fantastic! Hoping to make them next weekend.

28. Sugar et al. says:

I’ve never made granola bars and I think, this is the inspiration I needed to make them at home. These are so full of nutty and choclatey goodness. Fabulous little treats!

29. Jaclyn says:

These look amazing! I need to try them!

30. […] blog in October as well. Choosing a favorite is hard! BUT! If I had to choose, I’d pick my homemade fudgy almond butter granola bars (but my chocolate chip pumpkin muffins are right up there with them)! October was all about sweet […]

31. […] *Nutty and Fudgy Almond Butter Granola Bars.  I love every single word in this title. […]

32. […] Because we can’t aways eat chocolate mousse and granola bars. […]

33. […] little bites came about after making a ton of granola bars and having some leftover […]