Spending Thanksgiving weekend with a bunch of strangers was pure awesomeness.

spinach and mushroom quiche

Who knew?

spinach and mushroom quiche

We spent the morning at the market, collecting fresh produce and bread for our afternoon cooking class.

After enjoying a variety of tasty hors d’oeuvres, coffee and wine, we got our aprons on and got to cooking!

spinach and mushroom quiche

Realistically, Thanksgiving is what you want it to be. In Sicily it isn’t even a thing and with my family in Canada it’s essentially an excuse for us to get together and eat too much.

spinach and mushroom quiche

So this year I chatted with some new friends over a fabulous Sicilian meal. We ate pasta, eggplant dip, bread, salad and dessert, we drank wine and coffee, and everyone was super nice.

I miss being in Canada with my family, of course, but living away from home means I have to make due with what I’ve got. And if all I’ve got is a bunch of strangers and some pasta, I am damn well going to get into it. Plus, I get to see Paul today and we can have our own celebration!

spinach and mushroom quiche

Quiche will forever be my comfort food. As you very well may know, pie is my favorite thing to bake, so when it comes to adding vegetables and eggs into a pie crust for dinner I’m smitten.

spinach and mushroom quiche

This quiche is a lovely combination of spinach and garlicky mushrooms mixed with cheddar, mozzarella, and fresh parmesan. It’s great any time of year and I adore it.

spinach and mushroom quiche

Hope you all had a splendid weekend! I’m thankful for you this year!

Spinach and Mushroom Quiche

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Yield: one 9-inch quiche

• 1/2 recipe pie crust (or 1 pie shell), chilled
  • 1 (10 oz) box frozen spinach
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 oz. fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
  • Sea salt and fresh ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350. Roll out pie crust to 1/8 inch thick, fit to 9 inch pie dish and crimp edges if desired. Chill un-baked pie crust until ready to use.
  2. Thaw frozen spinach and squeeze out all the water in paper towel. Set aside.
  3. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and sautΓ© the mushrooms and garlic for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Pre-bake the pie crust for 8 minutes.
  5. While the pie crust is pre-baking, whisk together the eggs, milk, and parmesan cheese until combined. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  6. When the pie crust is pre-baked, remove it from the oven and spread spinach on top. Add the cooked mushrooms and grated cheeses. Pour the egg mixture on top.
  7. Place pie dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the center is set and the top and crust are golden.
  8. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy warm or room temperature.

-Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction

-For the pie crust, try this recipe from the Pioneer Woman

-Can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

-Baked quiche freezes well for up to 2 months.

45 Responses to Spinach and Mushroom Quiche

1. This seriously looks mouthwatering. I love that it’s vegetarian also πŸ™‚

2. This has great colors. I love the lighting as it’s hitting the quiche! And I adore shrooms πŸ™‚

3. oh I’m so glad you had a wonderful time!! I was wondering how it worked out. . you have the right attitude about it all and I’m so happy for you that it turned out great! yes, quiche also has a very dear place in my heart too. . love this one. . what a beautiful combination of spinach and garlicky mushrooms, cheddar, mozzarella, and fresh parmesan. Gorgeous!

4. Laura says:

You have all the winners here. Sure, you got the veggies for that veggie action, but it’s the cheese that melts my heart. I’ve read that cheese & chocolate are what most women fall prey too! Agreed! Love that Parm, mozz and cheddar combo. Wow. Cheesy top, here I come.

5. Sues says:

What a glorious quiche!! I love how packed it is with mushrooms!

6. This looks so tasty. I don’t make quiche nearly enough! Happy belated Thanksgiving Day!!!

7. Zainab says:

Glad to hear you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! This quiche looks so amazing!!

8. Leslie says:

I’m really glad you enjoyed your cooking class. Can’t wait to hear the details

9. Quiche is always a favorite! This looks tasty πŸ™‚

10. sippitysup says:

Great looking quiche. GREG

11. This looks divine, and it does sound like you made the most of your Canadian Thanksgiving in Italy, like a boss – one might even say!
    I crave quiche now, it even crossed my mind the other day, it’s a sing, and I gotta get this made! Thanks for the inspiration, and for being such a lovely, and down to earth girl Katrina, I really appreciate your blog πŸ™‚ x

12. Love that flavour combination! I’m super thankful for all YOUR amazing recipes and the inspiration you give me!

13. I had Thanksgiving with my boyfriend this year, and we made sure to stuff ourselves full of food πŸ™‚
    But if only we had quiche! I love quiche so much, and your version looks SO good!

14. I love quiche and this one is perfect. Love mushrooms and spinach and a trio of cheeses is always good! Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!

15. Amanda says:

This quiche is gorgeous!

16. I love quiche and this spinach and mushroom version is just SO perfect for me to recreate for my household. I have a feeling it will be great for lunch tomorrow with a little side salad. Thanks for the recipe and idea!

17. Most people don’t even know what a quiche is when I mention it (lol) so I am happy to see this post. Your quiche has one of my favorite things to eat, mushrooms, so I know that I will love it.

18. Jaclyn says:

This quiche looks amazing! I’d love to try this for a holiday breakfast!

19. Tash says:

Oh my gosh, yumminess overload! I had something pretty similar to this at a middle eastern cafe the other week! It has feta inside it though. The spinach makes it!

20. Mushroom quiche is my favorite – love the addition of spinach!

21. Cailee says:

This looks amazingly delicious!! …and that’s so fun that you got to make new friends!! πŸ™‚

22. Nanny says:

Getting ready for a pot luck supper so guess what I’m making. QUICHE. Your recipe sounds and looks amazing. Happy to hear your cooking classes turned out to be fun and informative. <3

23. Katrina, Your quiche looks awesome! And your story reminds me of the Thanksgivings I’ve spent away from home… even though I love being with my family for the holidays there’s something special and sweet about being away and reflecting on tradition. And epic hike in Able Tasman in New Zealand followed a fabulous sushi dinner was one of my best Thanksgivings ever.
    And your Sicilian Thanksgiving looks darned good.
    xo
    E

24. I always crave quiche (it’s like the song that gets stuck in my head–Third Eye Blind’s “Graduate” is like permanently stuck there πŸ™‚ and this one is no exception. I love the spinach + mushroom mix! Also, any meal that’s around lots of tasty pasta can’t be wrong. Your thanksgiving sounds lovely!

25. Look at all that melted cheesy goodness now that’s what I’m talking about! Just found your blog its lovely.

26. Pure Ella says:

This is gorgeous!! I no longer eat eggs or dairy ;( but my husband will love this this weekend!!! πŸ˜‰

Well I’m glad you had a great holiday! It sounds like a wonderful way to spend it πŸ™‚ And this quiche looks fantastic – I haven’t made one in far far too long!

I’m so glad you loved your Thanksgiving! That sounds like a lot of fun actually. As long as there’s good food, it’s basically Thanksgiving, right?

Loving this quiche! I’ve been looking for more make-ahead breakfasts and dinners and this is great.

29. Can you believe I’ve never made a real quiche? I think this is the perfect recipe to fix that. πŸ™‚

30. I am so happy you enjoyed your cooking class (sounds amazing)- cannot wait to take a cooking class in Italy one day! And this quiche – it is absolutely gorgeous and I want a piece of it right about now πŸ™‚ Pinned!

31. One of the things that I’ve never tried making is quiche! I love quiche… it always looks so beautiful and decadent. I love the vegetables and the cheeses that you’ve used.

32. Connie says:

im gluten free now. Think I can bake this without pie crust…in baking dish perhaps “greased” with coconut oil? It looks wonderfully delicious????
    Thankyou in advance for your response.

Hi Connie, you could definitely bake this without crust and make it a frittata! You will have to adjust the baking time though. Let me know how it works!