My second week here in Sicily has been much more about settling into a routine over exploring, and it’s a good thing.

DSC_0037

I keep forgetting that I live here, and am getting behind on normal things like laundry and dishes. These things aren’t fun, but they give me more time to feel like I’m actually getting stuff done.

DSC_0025

I started work on Monday, so Paul and I have been going to our local Pasticceria every morning for cappuccinos and a pastry. It is very cheap here. Pastries are only 1 Euro, and they’re huge! We’ve tried various croissants, donut-type things with vanilla and chocolate crème, and sooooo many sweet ricotta filled delicacies (both of the pictures below are filled with ricotta and chocolate).

We feel so lucky to be here, and are taking advantage of this special place across the street as much as we can. It’s a family owned business, and the girls there know our morning order will always be “due cappuccini, per favore“!

sicilian sundays

On the weekends is where we branch out of Palermo to other places in Sicily. This weekend we went to Cefalù (slightly to the right of Palermo on the map below) by train to see the beautiful beaches and to hike up the famous “La Rocca”, which features a castle built in the 6th Century.

sicily
Map photo cred: Propertyworld.com

cefalu1

sicilian sundays

Our other tradition is going to the Ballarò market on the weekends. I shared a few photos of it in my last post, which clearly show the amazing variety this market has to offer.

DSC_0047

DSC_0035

DSC_0034

Meat, cheese, olives, wine, in season vegetables, clothes and CD’s (not sure if this is legal), sweets, and a lot of street food (what Palermo is famous for) is just some of what you can find at Ballarò. It’s amazing in the true sense of the word.

DSC_0045

DSC_0036

DSC_0040

The star of our recent trip to the Ballaro market were definitely the Zucchini blossoms, which I bought a GIANT handful of for 1 Euro.

Honestly, these could be squash blossoms, but since there weren’t any signs out in front of the bucket and since I didn’t see any squash nearby, we’re just going to assume.

ricotta stuffed zucchini blossoms // warm vanilla sugar

This recipe for stuffed zucchini blossoms is a Sicilian classic.

ricotta stuffed zucchini blossoms // warm vanilla sugar

I kept it simple, really, stuffing the flowers with fresh ricotta, shaved parmesan, garlic and red pepper flakes and frying them up in small batches. We enjoyed these so much, and will definitely be making them again!

ricotta stuffed zucchini blossoms // warm vanilla sugar

Happy Sunday everyone 🙂

Sicilian Sundays: Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

Yield: 15 zucchini blossoms

• 2/3 cup fresh ricotta
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 15 zucchini blossoms
  • 1 cup all purpose flour + extra for dusting
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • vegetable oil, for frying
  • sea salt, for sprinkling

1. Place the ricotta, garlic, parmesan and red pepper flakes in a bowl and mix to combine. Clean the zucchini blossoms by pulling out the pistil (part with pollen) and rinsing with water.
  2. Gently spoon 1 teaspoon of the ricotta mixture into each zucchini flower and twist the petals to enclose (it's ok if they aren't perfect).
  3. Place 1 cup of flour and water in a bowl and mix until just combined (the mixture will be a bit lumpy and this is OK). Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Place a dusting of plain flour on a plate and set aside.
  4. Heat about half an inch of oil in a large, deep saucepan over high heat until hot. Dust the zucchini flowers in the extra flour and dip into the batter.
  5. Cook the flowers in batches of about 4-6, for a few minutes on each side. Flowers are done when they appear puffed and golden.
  6. Place cooked blossoms on a paper towel-lined plate and season with some sea salt.
  7. Enjoy hot.

Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Magazine

23 Responses to Sicilian Sundays: Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

1. ahu says:

Loving reading about your Sicilian adventure! That first shot of all the watermelons on the truck is just priceless!

2. Helen says:

Such a great review so far of places and food in Palermo. Your adventures are sure turning out to be breath taking . Love the idea of the zucchini blossoms . Looking forward to next Sunday. <3

3. Hahah it sounds like you are as addicted to cappuccinos as I am!

What beautiful photos, again! Thank you so much for sharing 😀 I love the little pastries that are almost like confectionary that they sell in Italy 🙂 Those patries you tried sounds absolutely heavenly too! Mmmm, and the stuffed zucchini blossoms look amazing! So rustic 🙂 I have never seen them in shops here in Scotland before. I can imagine you must be feeling like a kid in a candy store with all that amazing food 😀 x

4. I love reading about your adventure and seeing all these wonderful pictures. What a fantastic experience!

5. So awesome! Keep the photos and stories coming.

6. sylvia says:

What an amazing experience. I am SO envious!!! Soak it all up…

7. Shelly @ Vegetarian 'Ventures says:

Whaaaat?! You are starting everyday with a giant pastry? You are livin’ the dream!!

8. ~ Carmen ~ says:

Oh my. What a delectable delicacy. These look so tasty. Who knew?! Looks like you’re having a wonderful adventure. :] // itsCarmen.com ? ?

9. Wow! I am so happy you are enjoying Italy and all its delicacies. The fresh markets and sweets are hard to beat! These zucchini blossoms are very pretty and sound delicious 🙂 I’ve never seen them here – what a treat!

10. I love everything about this post!!!

11. I love seeing these beautiful pictures of Sicily! I visited there once and have been longing to go back. Such a lovely place! These zucchini blossoms look amazing! Yum!

12. Sydney @ Crepes of Wrath says:

What a great post – truly inspirational! I’ve always wanted to visit Sicily and this only intensifies the feeling. Enjoy exploring and eating!

13. Girl, you have no idea how jealous I’m of you! (it’s the good kind of course :)). I’m so glad you’re having a fantastic time settling! Everything looks so beautiful and delicious! Can’t wait to continue following you along!

Oh my goodness! Take me away! Beautiful pictures and a delicious recipe too.

15. Jenny @ BAKE says:

This sounds like the most amazing adventure! I am going to have to add Sicily to my holiday bucket list!

16. How amazing to be living in Sicily and enjoying the markets and the shops. I would love to do that one day. Your blossoms look scrumptious!

These are definitely an Italian classic!! And I want to live vicariously through your morning pastry consumption.

18. […] September Stuff? -I Started a new blog series called Sicilian Sundays. Check out my first and second posts. I talk about where I’m travelling, what I’m eating, and then end off with a […]

19. Adri says:

To start each day with a sumptuous pastry is living the dream indeed. I am loving your Sicilian adventures and the food that goes along with them.

20. […] I’ve lived in Ottawa, Delémont, Montreal and Palermo. […]