Happy long weekend!
Today is my last day of work before leaving for Sicily, so Paul and I decided we should enjoy the great outdoors before our big trip and go canoe camping in Algonquin Park (one of our favorite things to do).
Deciding on what to bring food-wise is always a challenge. We don’t want to pack too heavy, but we also need to make sure we’re eating food that isn’t overly bad for us.
Candy, homemade cookies, and peanut butter have already been packed…we’re off to a shaky start.
When all you have is an open fire, a cooking pot and a spoon, oatmeal is definitely the way to go! We’re making a simple recipe and throwing it into a plastic bag before our trip, but I’ll be dreaming of this one.
This morning it was a lot cooler than usual, so I grated some carrots, and threw them into some steel cut oats along with carrot cake spices, toasted coconut and golden raisins. Carrot cake anything has me squealing!!
Wishing all of you a happy long weekend as well. What are you up to??
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup shredded toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- Combine water and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add in the oats, stirring occasionally, until they become golden and toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the toasted oats into the simmering liquid. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the mixture is very thick, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, brown sugar, carrots, toasted coconut, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the oatmeal is creamy, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats