I have just over two weeks until I move to Sicily, and I can’t possibly express how totally and completely unprepared I am.
The whole thing has always seemed super unreal and far away, so I’ve just been going about my business…and now it’s the end of August and I have a lot of packing to do.
And it’s not like I haven’t lived abroad before, so it shouldn’t seem so wild! But now that I’m a bit older and married, I feel this huge pressure like I need to “settle down”. And well, that is just soooooo not my style.
After living out of a suitcase for six months in Switzerland, I’ve learned a few things:
1. You may like to keep in shape, but honey, you don’t need your 5 and 10 pound hand weights to do Jillian Michaels DVDs while you’re there…oh, and you can probably just keep your collection at home (she has FitFusion now!).
2. You can buy clothes when you get there, so pack light. And on that note, Italy probably sells toothbrushes…soooo yeah, pack toiletries at a minimum too.
3. Eat everything. You’ll regret it if you don’t.
4. Buy train tickets ahead of time! (with reserved seats)
5. Your husband doesn’t like crowds. Don’t force him to wait in line at a museum
too many times.
Annnnnnd 6. finish the food off that you have in your fridge before you leave!!…which brings me to this recipe.
This is a delightful bowl of brown rice topped with sriracha + lemongrass marinated tofu and coconuty broccoli and carrots with avocado. It’s such a nice meal to enjoy after a long day at work AND smells amazing while cooking. Hope you like it!
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 block (12 oz) extra firm tofu
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (green parts only)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 sliced avocado, for garnish
- Cook the brown rice according to package instructions.
- Press the tofu between paper towels to dry, and then cut it into cubes (leaving on fresh paper towl to dry some more).
- Smash the lemongrass with the back of a knife, remove the outer stalks and mince it well. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemongrass, sriracha, lime juice, vinegar, ginger and salt. Add the tofu and stir everything to coat. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Warm the coconut and sesame oils in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the tofu (along with marinade) and saute for about 5 minutes, until edges are browned. Add the broccoli, carrots, coconut milk, sugar and soy sauce and saute until the vegetables are warmed through, about 3-5 more minutes. Add the scallions and stir everything together. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- To assemble each bowl, start with the brown rice and top with the tofu vegetable mixture, some sesame seeds and a few slices of fresh avocado.
Recipe adapted from Sprouted Kitchen