I have just over two weeks until I move to Sicily, and I can’t possibly express how totally and completely unprepared I am.

Sriracha and Lemongrass Marinated Tofu Bowls // Warm Vanilla Sugar

The whole thing has always seemed super unreal and far away, so I’ve just been going about my business…and now it’s the end of August and I have a lot of packing to do.

Sriracha and Lemongrass Marinated Tofu Bowls // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Sriracha and Lemongrass Marinated Tofu Bowls // Warm Vanilla Sugar

And it’s not like I haven’t lived abroad before, so it shouldn’t seem so wild! But now that I’m a bit older and married, I feel this huge pressure like I need to “settle down”. And well, that is just soooooo not my style.

Sriracha and Lemongrass Marinated Tofu Bowls // Warm Vanilla Sugar

After living out of a suitcase for six months in Switzerland, I’ve learned a few things:

1. You may like to keep in shape, but honey, you don’t need your 5 and 10 pound hand weights to do Jillian Michaels DVDs while you’re there…oh, and you can probably just keep your collection at home (she has FitFusion now!).

2. You can buy clothes when you get there, so pack light. And on that note, Italy probably sells toothbrushes…soooo yeah, pack toiletries at a minimum too.

3. Eat everything. You’ll regret it if you don’t.

4. Buy train tickets ahead of time! (with reserved seats)

5. Your husband doesn’t like crowds. Don’t force him to wait in line at a museum too many times.

Sriracha and Lemongrass Marinated Tofu Bowls // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Annnnnnd 6. finish the food off that you have in your fridge before you leave!!…which brings me to this recipe.

This is a delightful bowl of brown rice topped with sriracha + lemongrass marinated tofu and coconuty broccoli and carrots with avocado. It’s such a nice meal to enjoy after a long day at work AND smells amazing while cooking. Hope you like it!

Sriracha and Lemongrass Marinated Tofu Bowls // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Sriracha and Lemongrass Marianated Tofu Bowls

Yield: 4 bowls

• 1 cup brown rice, cooked
  • 1 block (12 oz) extra firm tofu
  • 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed
  • 2 tsp sriracha
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 2 carrots, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions (green parts only)
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • sesame seeds, for garnish
  • 1 sliced avocado, for garnish

1. Cook the brown rice according to package instructions.
  2. Press the tofu between paper towels to dry, and then cut it into cubes (leaving on fresh paper towl to dry some more).
  3. Smash the lemongrass with the back of a knife, remove the outer stalks and mince it well. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemongrass, sriracha, lime juice, vinegar, ginger and salt. Add the tofu and stir everything to coat. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
  4. Warm the coconut and sesame oils in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the tofu (along with marinade) and saute for about 5 minutes, until edges are browned. Add the broccoli, carrots, coconut milk, sugar and soy sauce and saute until the vegetables are warmed through, about 3-5 more minutes. Add the scallions and stir everything together. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
  5. To assemble each bowl, start with the brown rice and top with the tofu vegetable mixture, some sesame seeds and a few slices of fresh avocado.

Recipe adapted from Sprouted Kitchen

22 Responses to Sriracha and Lemongrass Marinated Tofu Bowls

1. Yes, all those things are true! Two summers ago I drove cross country (7000 miles) and insisted on bringing my weights with me so I could work out. Very silly. Probably could have saved a few bucks in gas mileage if I wasn’t weighing down the car so much! Good luck finishing up your move!

2. What a great adventure! Looks delicious!

3. Cheryl says:

Can’t believe you’re moving to Sicily! That’s so exciting, truly. For how long? And this looks like such a hearty, healthy way to load up on veggies before you head over and pretty much gorge on pizza and gelato.. for at least the first few weeks šŸ™‚

I’ll be there for three months – so, just enough time to get settled in and then move back home! haha And yeah, pizza will definitely be consumed for the first while!

4. You’re moving to Italy? This was News to me, but man – that’s exciting! My uncle’s from there and I have been so Lucky to have gotten to visit Three times, I am sure it’ll be amazing! I love when leftover-food-impromptuness comes together and tastes GOOD! šŸ˜€ And pardon the random Capital letters chucked in here, my mum’s Norwegian keyboard is a little off šŸ˜› xx

haha, yeah, I haven’t talked about it at all really. Whoops! I’ll be writing about it while I’m there though šŸ™‚ And nooooo worries about your keyboard. It happens!

5. Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables says:

Mmmm, lemongrass! One of those ingredients I love but seem to forget about too often. Nice work cleaning out your fridge with this bowl šŸ™‚

I love lemongrass too! I can’t always find it, but it has been available all summer at my local grocery store recently. I’m so happy!

Moving to Sicily?? How did I miss this!? How fun! But yes, I can imagine packing would be no fun šŸ™‚

And these bowls look delicious!

I don’t think I mentioned it before!! I was wedding planning and writing about that mostly. As I said, I’m totally unprepared!! lol

7. Sues says:

a) This recipe looks incredibly flavorful and perfect and b) You’re moving to Sicily?? AMAZING!

8. Congrats on moving to Sicilly! I have always wanted to make it there! Sounds like an amazing experience šŸ™‚
    I love these packing tips and I can seriously relate! Your comment about making the hubby stand in line is hilarious because this is exactly what I did when I went to Rome with mine! He was a great sport though!

I love the look of this tofu bowl – wish I had some for lunch right now šŸ™‚

Have a safe trip!

haha, Paul haaaaaaates crowds! But he’s usually pretty good about it when he knows it’s for something I really want to see. Thanks for the well wishes!

9. Oh my goodness, it sounds like everyone is moving! To Sicily? I have got to say I am kind of jealous. I just moved to Toronto, and I don’t think I am ready for the cold winters.
    In the meantime, these tofu bowls look absolutely heavenly!

10. I’m freaking out over your impending Sicily adventures. It’ll be so awesome no matter what! I’ve only been to Italy, and that for 10 days, so you are in for a treat. Love this recipe too – but I need to find where to get lemongrass!

Eat everything. It took me some time to learn this but oh it’s so true. I’d certainly love to eat this bowl of tofu goodness!

12. I love this tofu bowl! Brown rice topped with sriracha + lemongrass marinated tofu and coconuty broccoli and carrots with avocado. . . this totally has my name written all over it! Can’t wait to try! And Sicily? Wow! Moving permanently?

13. I love a good tofu bowl, and this one looks incredible, especially with the lemongrass. LOVE this. Best of luck with your move – how exciting! What a perfect amount of time to really get to know a place. Gotta admit I’m a twinge jealous. šŸ˜‰

I can’t believe you are moving so soon!!! AHHH that is amazing. So now I will definitely plan my honeymoon around wherever you are in Sicily. That won’t be weird at all. šŸ˜›

15. […] I could easily make and then pack up for lunch the next day. I love tofu bowls (check others out here, here, and here) and since I usually go the spicy route, I wanted to try a honey sesame version […]