#8 on my 30 things to do before 30 list: go on a road trip with my closest girlfriends.
This past weekend I was whisked away to a surprise destination for my bachelorette party. I was picked up straight from work by a white truck packed to the brim with girls and stuff (‘cuz we’re ladies and this is how we do things) and had absolutely no idea where I was going.
The destination? Lake Placid, NY.
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I can’t possibly explain how happy this made me.
The weekend was filled with your typical bachelorette shenanigans, including lots of wine and a few games, but I really (like, really really) felt special on this one.
We did yoga in the morning followed by a hike in the hills, had really yummy food, a sailor theme AND went dancing! I’ve never had a party for myself that was more amazing in my entire life.
And at the end of it I’m left here thinking “I have the absolute best friends in the whole entire world”. Friends that are willing to cross the border for me, go on hikes they otherwise wouldn’t do, and wear little sailor hats.
Cheers to all the girlfriends out there! It’s the best bond ever!!
Oh, and here’s a snapshot of me and some of my bridesmaids from the night 🙂
After a travel weekend, it’s nice to come home to a big bowl of colourful vegetables like this. This is my comfort food and it is so delicious I could squeal!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Big handful of baby spinach
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Fresh squeezed lime juice
- Salsa and sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chopped sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place baking sheet in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing the potatoes half way. When the potatoes are tender, remove them from oven and set aside.
- Place spinach in a large bowl and top with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, tomatoes, corn, and avocado. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad. Serve with salsa and sour cream (I mixed my sour cream with smoked paprika!), if desired.
-Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
-This salad is very flexible - go to town on your fav toppings!