Summer in Montreal is like vacation. There is always something to do!

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart // Warm Vanilla Sugar

I constantly have the feeling like I need to get out and discover this city. P- and I have been here together for a total of 6 months so far, and have only scratched the surface of neat stuff to do and see.

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart // Warm Vanilla Sugar

In summer, everything comes alive. We have an international fireworks festival every Saturday, movies played outdoors in the park, the Just for Laughs festival, huge music festivals, and so, so, much more!

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Last night, P- and I checked out the Jazz festival that’s just finishing up downtown. It’s funny how many non-jazz acts were there, but we made a point to see some authentic stuff.

We ended up seeing two bands – one was more modern and had a brass section, a female singer, and a tap dancer (seriously), and the other was super abstract. The melodies were disjointed and it was hard to see where the the tune was going to go…but I appreciated it anyway. P- says that kind of music is more about how the musicians communicate with each other. I just smiled and nodded, but it was definitely sounding like someone was going to read poetry at any second.

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Of course, one of the best parts about living in Montreal is the abundance of food choices. We never have to look hard to find either exactly what we’re looking for or something we didn’t even know that we wanted. I was enjoying a strawberry cheese danish at a local bakery this past weekend, when it hit me…rhubarb would totally be awesome on this. And then I made my own the next day!

I do what I want.

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart // Warm Vanilla Sugar

This recipe is simple. I used frozen puff pastry and a classic sweet cream cheese for the “filling”. We’ll definitely be making this again.

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Wishing you all a lovely weekend!

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart // Warm Vanilla Sugar

xo

Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart

Yield: 4-6 squares

• 6 oz.cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed but still cold
  • 1 large egg
  • 5 - 6 medium stalks rhubarb
  • turbanado sugar, for sprinkling
  • honey, for drizzling

1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line one baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla to the bowl and beat until combined. Set aside.
  3. Roll out the thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface until it is a 10-inch square. Place the puff pastry on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Score the edges of the puff pastry to make a 1/2-inch border.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush the puff pastry all over with the eggwash. Spread a portion of the cream cheese mixture in the centre of the puff pastry.
  5. Trim your rhubarb stalks the length of the dough, and then lay the rhubarb across the dough, placing the stalks fairly close together. Sprinkle the sugar all over the rhubarb and crust.
  6. Bake the tart until the cream cheese is golden and puffed and the rhubarb is tender, 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
  7. Just before serving, drizzle all over with the honey, and cut into rectangles.

Recipe based on these from Just a Taste.

35 Responses to Rhubarb Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart

1. Yum! So pretty Katrina, and rhubarb and cream cheese is a great combination.

2. Kathryn says:

You’re making me want to plan a trip to Montreal asap!

3. Jenny @ BAKE says:

I love all the options that living in a city has to offer, and how inspiring it is! This tart looks incredible, I love rhubarb and I bet the tanginess goes amazingly with the sweet cream cheese!

4. I just tried my first rhubarb recipe the other day, in muffins! This might just have to be my second rhubarb recipe!

5. When I saw the photos, I for some reason thought “Rhubarb – Celery’s good twin!” Haha, the stalks look so similar. On another note – the tart looks and sounds divine! I bet it went down a treat 😀 x

6. Allison says:

What a gorgeous tart for summer! I love the tart flavour or rhubarb this time of year. Looks deeelish! Right out of a pastry shop, actually!

7. Nanny says:

Another awesome and quick , mouth watering treat to make. Remember to bring a cooler up when you come as the frozen rhubarb is waiting for you. <3

8. Rachel Cooks says:

This is so gorgeous and looks mouth-watering!

9. This combo sounds so delicious!! Never tried one but will be super quick!!

10. Oh yummy! Love a good pastry tart 🙂

11. A rhubarb breakfast tart, that sounds and looks amazing!

Simple and perfect. I love cream cheese and pastry. Add rhubarb and I’m in heaven. Thank you for sharing!

13. Meredith says:

What a great breakfast treat!

14. GiGi Eats says:

I think I need to change the fact that I have never had Rhubarb before!

15. Delicious rhubarb tart for breakfast! Happy 4th of July!

16. Tracy | PeanutButter and Onion says:

Glad to hear you are enjoying Montreal, what a great city!
    I need this tart in my life!

17. Anne says:

Looks amazing!!! I’ve never had rhubarb… This recipe makes me want to try it!

18. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com says:

Yum!! This is such a fun twist on the usual rhubarb desserts–I love to see creative rhubarb recipes, and this sounds delicious!

19. Summer in Montreal is the best! I love how the city comes alive during the summertime 🙂 This rhubarb breakfast tart looks AH-MAZING and like the perfect brunch dish!

20. Between the title and the photo I thought this recipe was going to be too hard or take too long. Sometimes it’s really awesome to be wrong. Well done.

21. yum! what a great idea and love the flavour combination. will definitely be trying this recipe out. thanks!

22. Montreal is on my list of places to visit! There was a jazz festival here in SF too over the long weekend, but I was out of town celebrating the Fourth. All about this recipe too!

23. My partner loves Jazz, I need to check out if there’s something going on in Berlin this weekend. And your breakfast idea sounds awesome.

24. I can’t really find Rhubarb where I am in Beijing, but this recipe is giving me major cravings. It looks so lovely!

25. Oooh, this sounds amazing! I love cheese danish so I’m pretty positive I would eat this whole tart in one sitting…

So basically what you’re saying is I NEED TO VISIT MONTREAL IN SUMMER. Working on it!

And ugh these rhubarb tart pieces look heavenly. Why can I not have these ready for breakfast tomorrow?!

27. […] stumbled across this lovely recipe and blog via Pinterest and loved the idea of a decadent rhubarb breakfast, so seasonal and delicious. The […]

28. Alanna says:

I love a good cheese danish, and this looks even better with rhubarb – yum!!!

29. […] making recipes like fruity breakfast tarts and pasta bakes I often find myself with leftover cream cheese. Luckily, I live in Montreal, where […]