In the past, P- and I haven’t lived in the best areas for a picnic. If we wanted to get outside and eat, we had to pack all of our stuff in the car and drive…which is totally fun once and a while, but a bit of a hassle for a weekly event.

black bean, avocado, and goats cheese soft tacos // warm vanilla sugar

Now that we live in Montreal, we live across the street from a gorgeous picnic area where there is an unbelievable amount of pretty, blossoming flowers near a cute little lake. So naturally, we picnic a lot.

black bean, avocado, and goats cheese soft tacos // warm vanilla sugar

When I first moved to Montreal, it took two whole weeks until we had a fridge or a stove! So, we ended up buying a lot of fresh ingredients and usually took paninis, sandwiches, or salads for our outdoor dinners. Now that we have all of our kitchen appliances, we can get a bit groovy with our meals.

black bean, avocado, and goats cheese soft tacos // warm vanilla sugar

Enter: black bean soft tacos with avocado and goats cheese. We made the filling for these bad boys ahead of time, put them in cute little containers, and made them right on our picnic blanket in the park.

black bean, avocado, and goats cheese soft tacos // warm vanilla sugar

Whether at home or outside, I hope you like these as much as we did!!

Black Bean, Avocado, and Honey Goat Cheese Soft Tacos

Yield: 6 small tacos

• 1 19-oz can black beans, with liquids
  • 1 tbsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1/4 cup goat cheese
  • 6 small corn tortillas
  • juice from 1/2 lime

1. Add 1 can of black beans (with liquid) to a skillet and add spices. Heat over medium heat and let cook until liquid has cooked down, anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
  2. To assemble tacos, place 1/4 of the black bean mixture in the center of each tortilla, layer with avocado and then crumble goats cheese on top.
  3. Drizzle with honey and squeeze fresh lime juice over taco filling and enjoy!

Adapted from Naturally Ella

27 Responses to Black Bean, Avocado, and Goat Cheese Soft Tacos

1. Leah Davis says:

This recipe looks so simple yet so delicious and perfect for summer picnics! I’ve never been to Montreal, but definitely want to visit sometime!!

2. Delicious! I have made black bean tacos myself once before, and it was delicious! I love your take on these badboys, and hey – you can never ever ever go wrong with picnic! 😀 As long as it’s dry out that is ^ ^ Thanks for a great recipe 🙂 x

3. Mmm! I love the idea of this flavor combo. = )

All of my favorites in one taco : ) These sound perfectly awesome! lol

5. These look lovely! I’m at work and its nearly lunch time and I would just love to grab one of these!

6. Sues says:

Such beautiful photos! These look so fresh and delightful 🙂

7. Montreal = the perfect city to live in! And I can relating to loving living across from a park! We live right near a park here in Leuven and we often bring a blanket during the summer and have a snack or a drink in ‘our garden’ (haha!!). These tacos look like such a simple and comforting flavour combo – looking forward to trying them (goat cheese always is a win in my books!). Pinned!

8. Goat’s cheese! Yeah, baby! These look uber-good.

9. You had me at avocado, my weakness! I love the flavor combination of these tacos!

10. Katrina these tacos looks fabulous! I love the idea of making the filling ahead of time; I would be totally about bringing these for lunch to work this summer! And I mean I OBVIOUSLY need more goats cheese and avocado in my life, right? 😉

11. Adri says:

These look great. Simple, yet full of flavor. I LOVE black beans!

12. I just went on my first picnic yesterday. It was so much fun. So its right in step to find this recipe. What an excellent and different idea for picnic food. What I really like about it is that it is perfect for a spontaneous picnic—-let’s stop at the grocery story and get the fixin’s.

13. These are greatttt for outdoor picnics!!!! I loveee the flavors you’ve got going in these tacos! Hungry!!!!!! *-*

14. Meredith says:

So incredibly delicious!

We live next to a lovely picnic area too. I’m so happy! And these soft tacos look so delicious. I love anything and everything with goat cheese!

16. These look amazing! I love the addition of goat cheese – yum.

I really need to remember to try eating outside every once in a while. We have a great park within walking distance…I just never think to do it!

17. This is my favorite flavor combo ever!! Love these tacos!

I’m always up for tacos!! Especially where black beans and goat cheese are involved. Plus I’m so jealous of your picnics! We’d have to walk to Central Park, which is totally doable, yet never seems to happen….

19. OMG, yum! I love this meatless meal for weeknights. Looks so good!

20. These look so summery and fresh!

21. Jen says:

Here in southern Georgia, picnic season is literally like a week long! And then it is so hot your food melts. Missing living up north and being outside all summer.

22. sippitysup says:

Groovy indeed. GREG

23. You are inspiring me to have a picnic here in SF when the weather is nicer – what a great idea to have tacos on the ago! I could probably eat tacos everyday of my life, so into this!

24. […] can’t stop taco-fying everything. Tofu tacos and bean tacos and every dang vegetable that’s in my fridge. It just tastes too good not […]