In the past, P- and I haven’t lived in the best areas for a picnic. If we wanted to get outside and eat, we had to pack all of our stuff in the car and drive…which is totally fun once and a while, but a bit of a hassle for a weekly event.
Now that we live in Montreal, we live across the street from a gorgeous picnic area where there is an unbelievable amount of pretty, blossoming flowers near a cute little lake. So naturally, we picnic a lot.
When I first moved to Montreal, it took two whole weeks until we had a fridge or a stove! So, we ended up buying a lot of fresh ingredients and usually took paninis, sandwiches, or salads for our outdoor dinners. Now that we have all of our kitchen appliances, we can get a bit groovy with our meals.
Enter: black bean soft tacos with avocado and goats cheese. We made the filling for these bad boys ahead of time, put them in cute little containers, and made them right on our picnic blanket in the park.
Whether at home or outside, I hope you like these as much as we did!!
- 1 19-oz can black beans, with liquids
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 6 small corn tortillas
- juice from 1/2 lime
- Add 1 can of black beans (with liquid) to a skillet and add spices. Heat over medium heat and let cook until liquid has cooked down, anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- To assemble tacos, place 1/4 of the black bean mixture in the center of each tortilla, layer with avocado and then crumble goats cheese on top.
- Drizzle with honey and squeeze fresh lime juice over taco filling and enjoy!
Adapted from Naturally Ella