After an entire Valentine’s Day weekend filled with chocolate, I’m pleased to say I’m back on track with giant bowls of salad and/or curry for every meal.
I really, really, love curried lentils. And I’m not picky on the curry…it can be red, green, yellow, or tomato and I am ON. IT.
Add in some coconut milk and I will totally go fanatical for a bowl. Like, make the meal before P- gets home and eat it, and then eat another bowl when he arrives home kind of fanatical. In this house, we take curry seriously.
Look at all that dipping surface area!!! GAH! So good.
Enjoy the rest of your week lovers!
Creamy coconut curried lentils and quinoa with fresh spinach.
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup green curry paste
- ¾ tsp turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup coconut milk (plus more for topping if you'd like)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Naan bread for dipping (optional)
- Place lentils, quinoa, 2 cups of broth, curry paste, bay leaf and turmeric in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are mostly cooked. Add the remaining ½ cup of broth during cook time if lentils have absorbed all the water. You want to cook it until there is no liquid remaining. Turn the heat to medium if it’s not already.
- Keeping the saucepan on the heat, stir in the tomato paste (mixture should thicken a bit). Add butter, garlic, and garam masala; stir to combine until butter is melted. Add coconut milk and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in ginger and spinach until barely wilted.
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum