Sometimes with food, I forget to show you the things that I love the most.

portobello pesto sandwich // warm vanilla sugar

You know? The simple things. The kind of stuff I eat every day when I’m by myself. Like quick salads and sandwiches that I can just throw together and think about all day until I get to eat it. Simple is better in my opinion.

portobello pesto sandwich // warm vanilla sugar

This portobello pesto sandwich has everything I want between two pieces of ciabatta – marinated roasted portobellos, mayo, Provolone, pesto, and tomato. Heaven, really.

portobello pesto sandwich // warm vanilla sugar

Wishing all of you the happiest of weekends starting tomorrow. I’m catching up on sleep!

portobello pesto sandwich // warm vanilla sugar

xx

Portobello Pesto Sandwich

Yield: 2 sandwiches

• 2 Portabello mushroom caps
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • a dash of olive oil
  • a sprinkle of sea salt
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 2 Ciabatta rolls, sliced in half
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 2 slices of Provolone cheese
  • 2 tbsp basil pesto (I used homemade)
  • 1/2 fresh vine tomato, sliced

1. Preheat your oven to 425°F.
  2. To prepare the mushroom caps, remove the stems with a knife and the gills with a spoon. Place them in a shallow baking dish and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Make sure the mushrooms are fully coated and marinate for 30 minutes (15 minutes on each side). Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
  3. Drain the marinade and roast the mushrooms in a baking dish for about 15 minutes at 425°F, turning once halfway through. Add cheese in the last two minutes.
  4. To toast ciabatta rolls, brush each half with olive oil and stick them in the oven (just on the rack) while the mushrooms are cooking (about 7 minutes or until golden on top).
  5. Once the mushrooms are cooked and the ciabatta is toasted, begin assembly - begin with toasted ciabatta bottom, followed by mayo, roasted Portobello, homemade pesto, tomato slices, and the other half of the roll.
  6. Enjoy!

A Warm Vanilla Sugar Original

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

53 Responses to Portobello Pesto Sandwich

1. You cannot go wrong with a bit on a fancified roll or baguette, this looks simply delicious ^ ^ Some good cheese and pesto can get you far :D x

2. Katie says:

Pesto makes almost anything better! (Maybe not chocolate cake with peanut butter icing.) We use a lot of it in our house – pizza, quinoa salad, pasta, potato salad – yum!

3. This looks amazing!! You’re everyday sandwiches look much fancier than mine!

4. sippitysup says:

Presto! Pesto transforms everything… GREG

5. This looks sooooo good. You’re right that as food bloggers we rarely share the everyday food that we eat, so I love seeing simple recipes like this! You should try roasting the tomato too, to make it extra special! :)

6. Love roasted portobellos! This sandwich looks delish!

You know I do the same thing – so much of the “everyday” food we have never makes it to the blog! Love the simplicity of this sandwich – it sounds delicious!

8. Nutmeg Nanny says:

This sandwich has my name all over it, yum! Love pesto :)

9. Dang, now that’s a sandwich! I love that you used meaty portobellos, my favorite!

10. Portobellos are a favorite of mine, especially when you throw some pesto into the mix. I’d be thinking about lunch all day too if I were packing this!

11. Amy Alt says:

oooh Pesto and mayo? – dream combination that has somehow never occured to me! You definitely know how to pick your sauces. Love the look of those roasted mushrooms too

12. Beautiful shots! I also believe simplicity is important when it comes to food (at least everyday food!). I heart this sandwich.

13. This sandwich looks to die for! Right up my alley, that’s for sure!

14. Yum, these are totally my favorite kinds of recipes – the ones that are delicious and can be thrown together in a pinch. Looks amazing!

I love the simple stuff! Pretty excited about these sandwiches…the marinated ‘bellos sound perfect.

16. I want to crawl between those two pieces of ciabatta and eat my way out of this sandwich. Weird? Maybe. But it. would. rock.
    This looks fantastic and I love the lighting in these shots!

17. I like looking at other peoples food (im nosy), thanks for this idea with mushroom.

18. I could put pesto on anything. And a good mushroom sandwich can fix most things.

19. This looks incredible! I kind of don’t want what I had planned for dinner anymore. Portobellos are so hearty–great for a winter sandwich. And I love the provolone+pesto combo. Just perfect!

20. kita says:

Oh dang! Now this is a sandwich even this girl carnivore wants to sink her teeth into! Beautiful!

21. Sometimes the simplest dishes really are the best! This looks soooo good.

22. Holly says:

Yum! Thanks for the recipe Katrina. I made this one for lunch yesterday and it was delicious. I used parmesan cheese as that’s what I had on hand and also drizzled some balsamic glaze over the tomatoes. So easy for a tasty lunch!

23. Love this sandwich!! Pesto and portobello make a great team!

24. mimi says:

And it’s challenging taking sandwich photos, but you did it beautifully! Great sandwich!

25. I think this is my dream sandwich, down to the bread. Simple ingredients for the win. What a refreshing post, thanks for sharing!

26. This sandwich looks delicious! Would love one served with a bowl of salad.

27. Lucy says:

I don’t even normally like mushrooms but this sandwich looks so tempting, I can see how you would be waiting to eat it all morning! Sometimes the little things are the best things.

28. Nicely done, Katrina! I can’t imagine how this could look or sound any more delcious and perfect. Great job!!

29. Incredible sandwich, I’m a big sucker for pesto, but with mushrooms? My mouth is watering!

30. This sandwich looks delicious! I’m so glad you shared one of your everyday favorites because I think it is going to become one of my favorites too!

31. Yum, this looks like food heaven! Love pesto and mushrooms- I really must try this recipe! :)

32. This is one of my favorite meals, too! So satisfying and easy!

33. I am the exact same – I rarely blog the delicious, simple meals that I make on a weekly basis because they’re so common to me that I never think to photograph them. Must change that soon! And these sandwiches? Look SO divine. Simple, fresh, perfect!

34. laurasmess says:

Yum! I love portobello mushrooms. I’ve often eaten them as a burger filling but the husband tends to balk at the concept as it’s ‘not meat’ ;) Maybe with that gorgeous cheese and pesto addition, he’ll be into it. What a perfect sandwich! xx

35. Katrina, I totally agree. Simple is best. And I’m ready to come to your house for lunch today. Your sandwiches look AMAZING.
    xo
    E

36. So simple but delicious! I bet marinating the mushroom really changes the flavor.

37. Pesto is totally one of my fave condiments – this is heavenly!

38. stephanie says:

That sandwich is bonkers! I LOVE ciabatta sandies and that mushroom!?! I die!

39. Heather says:

**Drooling** I LOVE portabellos in sammies and that pesto totally takes it over the top- this is my kind of sandwich….and that bread- OH YEAH that bread!

40. […] favorite recipe that I made was my portobello pesto sandwich. You need this in your […]