Anyone out there watching Oscar nominations before the big awards?!

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili // Warm Vanilla Sugar

So far I’ve seen American Hustle, Her, Gravity, Wolf on Wall Street, 12 Years a Slave and Twenty Feet From Stardom WHICH MEANS I still have a lot more to see.

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili // Warm Vanilla Sugar

And this isn’t because I feel like I have to watch every nominated movie ever, in fact, I usually don’t bother, it’s just that this year I like the sound of a lot of the nominations…so naturally, I’m watching them. And my favorite? By a LONG SHOT, actually, is the movie “Her“. It made me think about love in the strangest way, made me cry, and I’m still thinking about it a week after watching it. Sooooo GO SEE IT!

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili // Warm Vanilla Sugar

On a completely different (and exciting!) note, we have arrived at week 12 of 12 weeks of winter squash, which means this is my last post dedicated to the delicious winter squash cause. I hope you found it fun too!!

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili // Warm Vanilla Sugar

To sum everything up, we have:
Week 1: Butternut Squash Bundt Cake with Cinnamon Glaze
Week 2: Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas
Week 3: Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Quinoa
Week 4: Butternut Squash Linguine with Kale and Portobellos
Week 5: Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Walnuts
Week 6: Spiced Butternut Squash and Date Smoothie
Week 7: Acorn Squash Biscuits
Week 8: Black Bean Guac Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Week 9: Curried Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Butternut Squash and Goats Cheese
Week 10: Re-Blog – Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Week 11: Acorn Squash Strusel Muffins
Week 12: Black Bean and Squash Chipotle Chili

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili // Warm Vanilla Sugar

THANK YOU for bearing with me while I experimented with squash.

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili // Warm Vanilla Sugar

For my last recipe I’m posting this delicious black bean chili with chipotle flavours and chopped squash. I like it because it is full of delicious chipotle flavour, is totally filling, and is really good for you! I hope you like it as much as I did.

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili // Warm Vanilla Sugar

• 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tbsp chopped chipotle in adobo
  • 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, including the liquid
  • 4 cups black beans (or 2 cans, drained)
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 Avocados, diced
  • corn chips, sour cream, green onion, grated cheese or cilantro for topping

1. In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the olive oil and then the chopped vegetables (onion, bell pepper, butternut squash, garlic) and sauté on medium-high heat, stirring regularly. Once the onions start turning translucent, turn the heat down to medium-low.
  2. Add all of the spices, chipoltle in adobo, canned tomatoes, black beans, vegetable broth, and stir. Cover for about one hour, stirring occasionally. Taste the spices and add more to your liking if desired.
  3. The chili is cooked once it starts looking thick and the butternut squash is tender. Serve the chili topped with corn chips and plenty of diced avocado. You can also add some sour cream, green onion, grated cheese or cilantro for some extra fun!

Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate

34 Responses to Black Bean and Squash Chipotle Chili

1. Kathryn says:

I can’t get enough of veggie chili at the moment and the flavours in this sound totally epic!

2. Meg says:

This chili looks delicious — and so hearty! Love it. Also, I’m dying to see “Her” . . . as someone unreasonably attached to her iPhone, I have a feeling I’m going to really enjoy it. 🙂 I also met my husband online, so I have a fondness for the many things technology can grant me!

3. This both sounds and looks deeelicious! That is great how you’ve taken on a vegetable like that and used it in lots of different recipes 😀 Enjoy the Oscars! I’m waaay behind you movie-watching-wise, sigh! So many good movies out at the moment though 🙂 Happy Monday! x

4. Ohmygosh this looks deeeeeelish! And I am loving that fiesta of a placemat in these pics! I am a squash addict and I am dying to try this!

5. Such a January recipe – love it!

I’ve definitely enjoyed the 12 weeks – I can never have enough squash! Love this chili – so many good things going on in it!

We are planning on not so legally downloading and watching the majority of the films before the awards! And maybe some after depending on how motivated we are. I should move Her up on our list!

Oh I am so craving a big bowl of this chili right now! Thanks so much for being so dedicated to the 12 weeks!

8. love the crunchy touch from the corn chips!

I watched Her and liked it very much (just found the voice of scarlet j. a bit overwhelming). Sometimes I speak to my pc and I spend more time with it than with my bf (gosh, these are crazy times!).

9. Jenny @ BAKE says:

This chilli looks amazing! I really want to see Her, I can’t wait for it to come to our little local cinema. I saw the Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently, and I can highly recommend that!

10. JulieD says:

I love the flavor combo!! Wow!! And I totally need to see American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave.

11. Sues says:

I always want to see as many Oscar-nominated movies as possible, but I never do. I’ve seen a grand total of zero this year, so I need to get watching!!

12. Sues says:

Oh and also? This chili looks heavenly and perfect to curl up with during a good movie!

13. Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables says:

Looks tasty! I love adding chunks of sweet potato to my chili–might have to mix it up and add squash next time.

We almost never go to the movies but I have been really wanting to see American Hustle!

Ryan and I try to watch every single film nominated for best picture. This year, we’ve seen one. Can anyone guess what’s changed? Our sweet baby makes movie watching very difficult 😉 This chili looks so good, my friend. Thank you for sharing it! Now to make a batch and watch some movies!

15. laurasmess says:

Yum! This looks gorgeous! Healthy and delicious at the same time. Hm… re the Oscars. We don’t really keep up with them in our household, though I have been seeing a lot of Cate Blanchett in the newspaper with the Screenwriter’s Guild and Golden Globe award wins. Australia loves Australians that win American stuff! Ha! But if you give me a bowl of this chilli, I’ll sit there and watch the whole darn thing 😉 xx

16. Trisha says:

happy 4th anniversary btw! this looks like a must try ! x

17. This looks so yum for the Super Bowl next week! I haven’t seen Her yet but I really want to see it now! If you want a total brain bender go see August Osage County. It is so intense but the acting is unbelievable!!

18. i cant get enough of chili and esp if chipotle is used, its even better.

19. sippitysup says:

Wow. 12 weeks flies fast. I think the biscuits for me are like the movie “Her” for you. I find myself thinking about them after the fact. GREG

20. I’m so bad with catching movies before the Oscars, but I’d love to catch a bowl of this chili – looks fabulous!

21. Love how hearty and flavorful this is! So good!

22. Oh, this chili sounds SO amazing. I could go for a big bowl right now!

23. I’m putting “Her” on my must-watch list now! This chili looks delish – I wish I could curl up with a big bowl of it for lunch today!

24. Mmm, this looks so warming and delicious, Katrina! Totally my kind of meal. Love those big chunks of avocado – come to mama!

25. Heather says:

So wanna see American Hustle- hopefully this weekend! I absolutely love the flavor of chipotle, smokey spicy goodness!

26. Mary says:

This looks absolutely fabulous! love the flavors – what a great meal:)
    Mary x