This year for Christmas I decided to give most of my friends and family baked treats over gifts. Small, cute, little tins from my kitchen that say “HEY! I love you”.

toffee // warm vanilla sugar

’cause little holiday treats are some of my favorite things in the whole world, and I simply have to share!

toffee // warm vanilla sugar

This recipe comes straight from Audra – The Baker Chick. I’ve actually had it bookmarked for a while and decided to make it this past weekend since I had the ingredients on hand.

toffee // warm vanilla sugar

Thank freaking goodness I did! It’s 100% the best toffee I’ve had. No wonder she calls it “famous”. I’m actually considering making more since it might not last until next week!!

toffee // warm vanilla sugar

Everything is pretty much packed up and waiting to be consumed in the freezer right about now. It’s KILLING ME to not open the lid and take some little sweet things for myself!!

toffee // warm vanilla sugar

How’s your holiday baking going??

Toffee

• 1 pound salted butter
  • 2 cups dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup ground blanched almonds

1. Add parchment paper over a baking sheet for later.
  2. In large saucepan combine butter and brown sugar, mix with a wooden spoon until mixture is fully melted together. Stir occasionally (not too much) and watch carefully until it gets to 275 F on a candy thermometer. Let it stay there for about a minute, then pour into the lined cookie sheet. Shake it and spread it around until it's even.
  3. After it has cooled slightly blot with a paper towel to pick up any excess oil. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave (about 2 minutes, stirring in between). Spread chocolate over the hardened sugar using a spatula. Sprinkle with ground almonds and let the chocolate harden either in the fridge or on the counter.
  4. Break into pieces. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Baker Chick

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

32 Responses to Toffee

1. Salty, sweet and totally decadent. One of my favorite holiday treats! Love it, Katrina!

2. homemade gifts, esp edible ones are always my favorite. your friends and families are going to love it!!!

3. I hear you! I made toffee a few weeks ago and it was everything I could do to not stand at the counter and eat the entire tray by myself. I love how rustic and loving toffee is as a holiday gift, and this looks like perfection.

4. My aunt makes a toffee a lot like this and it always disappears quickly at family gatherings!

5. I love giving treats like this in place of “real” presents. This toffee has my name written all over it! yum!

6. Katie says:

Looks super sweet! Too bad there is nothing healthy at ALL in there that could ease my guilt about making them – maybe the dusting of almonds on top?

7. I decided to make toffee for my aunts and uncles for gifts. I’ve been using white sugar, brown sounds so much more tasty!

8. Uh….yum! Wonder if I have time to mix up a batch before heading off on my holiday travels–looks delicious!

Gah, I love toffee … especially this time of the year! I would love to receive some of this as a gift!

10. I was JUST thinking about making toffee today/this weekend and this is perfect! I also ate it for dessert last night atop butterscotch pudding – such a good holiday treat!!

11. I love eating toffee but I’ve never made it myself, this recipe looks fantastic and easy enough! I can’t wait to try!

12. I’ve had some pretty good toffee in my day, but I need to try this famous version! It looks delicious.

I am a TOFFEE GIRL. I actually prefer it to chocolate! That being said, I’ve never made it at home. Gasp! This must change. Thank you for sharing. This looks too good!

14. I’ve always wanted to make homemade toffee. You make it look so easy. They look tasty so I definitely want to try them. :)

I really hope I can get some serious baking done this weekend just so we can have some treats to give away to random people. This toffee would be such a great gift!

16. I still have yet to make cute food gifts and give them away for Christmas. I always end up thinking about it too late and then I’m like “ahhh do I HAVE to bake all that?!” – this seems effortless and this is definitely like crack soo I’m sure I can manage this one!

17. I haven’t started my holiday baking session yet! But I have started eating a lot of festive sweets already :) p.s. yummy toffee!

18. Yum! Would definitely love some of this as a Christmas gift =)

19. Loving this! Planning on spending a day baking Christmas goodies tomorrow. Pinning! Thanks for sharing :)

20. I tried to make fudge recently but it was too soft.. when I boiled it again it turned into toffee! Maybe next year I’ll try to make sweets again. At the moment I’ve got some gingerbread shapes baking in the oven, all ready to be decorated and wrapped up for presents. Didn’t get round to making a jam this year but it’s certainly on the cards when I have more time on my hands! x

21. Amanda says:

Holy cow this looks amazing! I’m going to have to make a batch or two soon!

22. Skye says:

Looks like a must for the new year! Scrummy!
    I’ve just discovered your blog and am so happy that I have – it’s gorgeous! So many wonderful recipes and lovely photos :)
    Hope that you have a great Christmas!

23. Katrinia,
    YES! Love this toffee!!

24. I’m obsessed with toffee, and wish I had seen this before the holidays…definitely bookmarking to try it for Christmas 2014 (and I may need to make a preview batch for myself now…)

25. Looks like an amazing food gift for all year round!