On my birthday I wanted doughnuts with sprinkles and sparklers and love and glaze. I’m specific.

birthday doughnuts // warm vanilla sugar

So I made some.

birthday doughnuts // warm vanilla sugar

And I think it’s totally ok to have doughnuts over cake. Doughnuts are awesome, cake is awesome, pie is awesome…I really would have taken a piece of each, but I only have so many hours in a day.

The fun thing about doughnuts though is that you can glaze ’em, dip ’em, rub them on your body….wait. I kid, I kid.

birthday doughnuts // warm vanilla sugar

Essentially you can do whatever with them, so I figured, “HEY!, I’m a nice gal, I’ll make a vanilla glazed version for me, and a chocolate dipped version for P-“.

birthday doughnuts // warm vanilla sugar

And they got devoured…two people can seriously go to town on a dozen doughnuts. Trust me. I have experience.

birthday doughnuts // warm vanilla sugar

I’m not going to lie to you, these take a while, but so does making good, sweet, love….I’m in a weird mood today.

But SERIOUSLY, these do take a while since you need to let the dough rise a few times, but it’s totally worth it.

birthday doughnuts // warm vanilla sugar

Imagine: fresh, hot doughnuts, on your birthday. It was the best!!!

DSC_0178

Have a great weekend everyone! xx

DSC_0180

Birthday Doughnuts

Yield: 12-14 doughnuts

• Makes 12-14 doughnuts
  • Doughnuts:
  • 3 tbsp active dried yeast
  • 1 cup milk, warmed to 110 F (43 C)
  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • oil for frying (either canola or vegetable oil is good)
  • Vanilla glaze:
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 6 to 8 tbsp milk
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Chocolate glaze:
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 to 4 tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. For the Doughnuts: Combine 2 tbsp yeast, 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup flour in a medium bowl and let rest for 30 minutes in a warm place.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine the rest of the yeast with the egg yolks, vanilla, salt and sugar. Add in the butter and 1/2 cup of flour - mix on low until incorporated.
  3. Change to the dough hook, then knead in the rest of the flour - 1/4 cup at a time. Continue to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover and rest for 1 hour.
  4. Roll the dough out on a floured surface until 1/2 inch thick. Cut out circles using a 3" cutter, and then a 1" cutter to make the hole. Transfer the doughnuts (and doughnut holes) to a cookie sheet lined with a floured kitchen towel - spaced at least 1" apart. Re-roll the scraps and repeat the cutting and transferring. Cover loosely with cling film and rest for about 20 minutes.
  5. Heat oil to 360 F (180 C) in a deep, heavy bottomed pan (about 2 inches deep). Use a metal spatula to transfer a few doughnuts to the frying pan (make sure it's not too crowded in there). Fry for about 3 minutes until golden brown, flip and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts and doughnut holes. Let cool slightly.
  6. For the vanilla glaze: Whisk all the ingredients together in a shallow dish. Dunk the doughnut into the glaze, turn to coat (you may find using a fork will help you completely coat the doughnut with glaze). Remove from the glaze (I use a slotted spoon) to wire rack on top of a baking sheet and let the glaze set.
  7. For the chocolate glaze: In a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add 2 tablespoons of milk and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Add more milk as necessary to create a thick but still just pourable glaze. Once the doughnuts are completely cool, dip top-side-down into the chocolate glaze. Return to the wire rack and add SPRINKLES!
  8. Allow doughnuts to set for about 30 minutes before stacking or serving. Doughnuts are best within 2 days.

Doughnuts and vanilla glaze from Top With Cinnamon and chocolate glaze from Joy the Baker.

46 Responses to Birthday Doughnuts

1. happy birthday πŸ™‚ I’d take this donuts over cake too – can i have a sugar glazed and chocolate ones please? Hope your days is full of fun and laughter.

2. Katie says:

Happy Birthday! My husband and I went on a donut kick the first year we were married when we made them once a week for a while, trying out our recipe for the shop we would open. Yeah – that didn’t happen, we probably gained 5 lbs, our apartment smelled like frying oil, and NONE of them looked as good or professional as yours!

A donut shop sounds like a dream!! And I’m sure they looked lovely. If I ate these once a week I’d gain 5 lbs too!!

3. Cindy says:

YUM! I love this donut in lieu of cake idea…I mean, cake is great, but DOUGHNUTS!

4. These doughnuts are perfect and oh my, your last picture… is a masterpiece! Great way to celebrate your own birthday, I agree. BY the way… Happy Birthday!

5. Kathryn says:

I think doughnuts are an excellent way to celebrate a birthday. These look wonderful!

6. sandra says:

what a great idea – doughnuts for your birthday. I hope you had a happy one!

7. Oh my goodness gracious, I’m in doughnut heaven. Happy birthday! Now gimme a dozen! πŸ˜‰ I mean… let’s share them.

8. sippitysup says:

…and I’m sending some in my mind. Happy Happy and XOGREG

PS You and my little (I mean younger) bro have the same Bday.

9. Izy says:

Wooooh! They look perfect, girl! I hope you had an awesome, doughnut-filled birthday πŸ™‚

10. Meagan says:

Happy birthday, Katrina! I’d take birthday doughnuts like these on any day!

11. Jodi Stewart says:

Hey kid! Happy birthday. The donuts look lovely. πŸ™‚ I’m experimenting with leaving comments from my phone. That’s why this comment seems like it’s coming from an old person. πŸ˜‰

12. Megan @ MeganMakesFood says:

Wow. I think I just found my new favourtie blog. Lovely donuts! Happy Birthday πŸ™‚

13. Happy birthday! You totally read my mind, when my birthday rolls around, I would love some doughnuts like these!

You really fried them?! I am SO impressed. I am petrified of frying. But they look perfect.

15. HOLY MAMA these doughnuts look fantastic. Happy birthday, my dear!

16. Great looking doughnuts! Better than any doughnut shop!

17. Oh my goodness. I love to see homemade donuts. I’ve never made them, but you have made it look so easy and so authentic, so wonderful, I feel like I can smell them.

My birthday is tomorrow and these now seem like the only way to properly celebrate it πŸ™‚ Thank you for sharing!

19. I hope you had a happy birthday! Nothing wrong with being specific if it means producing these gorgeous babies! These doughnuts look awesome!

20. Amanda says:

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Hope your day was amazing. I know these donuts certainly are!!

21. These look amazingggg!! I think Birthday Doughnuts sound even better than birthday cake!

22. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Happy birthday to you!!! These donuts look perfect πŸ™‚ so tempting!

23. I hope you had a fabulous birthday, lovely! These doughnuts look like fried perfection πŸ™‚

24. Wow, seriously impressed you made homemade donuts! What a perfect bday treat. Happy Birthday!!!

25. Heather says:

Happy Birthday to you! These donuts are perfection- I tried my hand at yeasted donuts and I think I need some practice; or a deeper pot to fry them in. I need doughnut making lessons from you!

26. Jaclyn says:

Seriously I want these for breakfast right now! Happy Birthday Katrina!!

27. Happy Birthday Katrina! Those doughnuts look to die for! It’s been ages since the last time I made doughnuts… But they are SOOO much better fresh and warm than store-bought and cold πŸ˜‰

28. Ha, a doughnut cake sounds like my kind of cake, too! Yours came out so beautifully. (And how cute is that shot with the sparkler? Such a great capture!) Happy (belated) birthday!

29. Skye says:

This is gorgeous. Love the doughnut tower with the sparkler. So witty and so pretty. Fabulous.

30. […] sugar was baked with and consumed in my kitchen! My absolute favorite recipe of the month was my birthday doughnuts. They were the perfect birthday treat! Plus, fried things are totally OK (and welcomed and hugged) […]

31. First, thanks for stopping by my site so I could discover your blog! Secondly, we clearly share a sweet tooth and a love of donuts, so we will definitely be friends πŸ˜‰

These look gorgeous and delicious! Belated birthday wishes.

32. My birthday is on April 19th, every year the same. I’d like to see a box of these at my doorstep as wishes.