My computer is messed up.

Spiced Butternut Squash + Date Smoothie

On Thursday it went wonky, so I brought it into the apple store to get it fixed and picked it up today.

Just imagine 4.5 days without a computer in the middle of exams.

It’s a straight up nightmare.

Spiced Butternut Squash + Date Smoothie

Anyway, I brought it home about 20 minutes ago, turned it on, and within 5 minutes the screen went blank again….so many swear words right now.

It seems to be working right this very second, and luckily I had this post pretty much geared up for today…so here I am!! And if it breaks again I might be missing for a while.

Spiced Butternut Squash + Date Smoothie

Fingers crossed everything works out!! And if you know any wizards (or people who buy girls new MacBooks) please send them my way 😉

Spiced Butternut Squash + Date Smoothie

This smoothie came to be after making waaaaaay too much squash puree. It’s go the perfect amount of spice, is super smooth, and totally vegan! Hope you enjoy!!

Spiced Butternut Squash + Date Smoothie {12 Weeks of Winter Squash}

Yield: 2 smoothies

• 1 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1 1/4 cup (packed) homemade butternut squash purée (canned squash/pumpkin purée would be fine too)
  • 4 large Medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/5 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 5-6 large ice cubes, or as needed

1. Make the butternut squash puree (see recipe below).
  2. Add all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth, adjusting the spices as needed. Serve immediately & enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows

Butternut Squash Puree

• 1 whole Butternut squash

1. Heat your oven to 400ºF.
  2. Split a butternut squash in half and spoon out the seeds. Stab each half a few times with a fork.
  3. Place the two halves cut side up in a baking dish and roast for about an hour or until very soft inside. Remove from the oven and let cool.
  4. Scrape up all the flesh inside the squash, leaving only an empty shell or rind behind and place into a food processor or big bowl. If there is a lot of thick flesh that is too hard to be scraped up, then the squash needs to roast longer.
  5. Using a food processor or an immersion blender puree until smooth. Refrigerate immediately; this will last for a few days in the fridge or a couple months in the freezer, well-sealed. When you take it out to use it you will probably notice some water separation. Make sure to drain this water away before using it in a recipe.

21 Responses to Spiced Butternut Squash + Date Smoothie {12 Weeks of Winter Squash}

1. Katie says:

Sounds interesting. I haven’t been able to get psyched about dates, but I’ve seen a couple good sounding recipes with them lately. Might have to give them a try.

2. Ugh, I can’t imagine not having a computer. My brother had his laptop stolen and it’s finals for him too – nightmare indeed. Good thing you have some amazing food like this to cheer you up 😀

Gah! Oh no! Hopefully the blank screen was just a fluke and all will be well now. I’m loving this smoothie…I should really be drinking things like this instead of eating so much dessert!

4. Sues says:

What a fabulously awesome idea!!

I can’t even imagine 4.5 days without a computer NOT during exams, so I feel quite bad for you!!

haha it’s the worst! It crashed AGAIN last night (on my work computer now totally not doing work) so I have to bring it in. Annoying!

5. LeAndra says:

This is so unique! I think I might try it the next time I really want a milkshake but should have something nutritious instead.

6. This looks delish! Love the pecans on top. I am also in the middle of exams (although my computer is still hanging in there). I can’t imagine how much more stressful it would be with tech issues! Good luck on all your tests!

7. Kezia says:

Squash in a smoothie? I love this idea! Hope your computer problems are sorted soon. xx

8. Jess says:

Oh no, Katrina! These things always seem to happen at the worst possible time. Hope the computer is fixed now, but glad that delicious smoothie made it to publication – yum!

9. Good luck with your computer! I totally feel your pain…

p.s. I am crazy about smoothies. Never tried one with dates and almond milk, a must try!

Oh man, I can’t imagine not having a computer during exams!! I hope that it stays working for you!! And this smoothie sounds wonderful : )

11. Brianne says:

Oh, I want to drink this! This is the coolest squash recipe that I’ve ever seen! It sounds like great end of the semester brain fuel. I hope your exams went well sans-computer! What terrible timing.

12. Kathryn says:

Argh, you poor thing! I hope your computer has some magical healing powers and gets better soon.

13. I love dates and this combination looks really delicious!

14. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I just adore butternut squash! This sounds fantastic 🙂

15. Oh no! I hope your computer stayed working! Computer and phone problems are seriously the most stressful things ever. This smoothie sounds delicious 🙂

16. Heather says:

Love this twist on butternut squash = smoothie love!