’tis the season.

classic eggnog // warm vanilla sugar

For a lot of things…

Like leftover pie for breakfast, cozy blankets, rosy cheeks, and boozy eggnog at 7:30am. You know? The good stuff.

classic eggnog // warm vanilla sugar

On Saturday exams begin so I’ll be hunkering down over the next week studying my brains out, and eating way too many cookies .

Hope all of you have a fabulous weekend!! xo

Classic Homemade Eggnog

• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cup half and half cream (10%)
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup good quality bourbon or whiskey (see notes for virgin version)
  • 2 tbsp pure rum extract (or spiced rum)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg plus more for garnish

1. Whisk yolks with sugar until creamy and sugar begins to dissolve. Add cream, milk, bourbon and rum extract and stir to combine. Stir in salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Taste test - add more cream if it's too boozy, add more booze if it's not boozy enough, etc.
  2. Chill well in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
  3. Serve chilled on the rocks with a sprinkle of nutmeg if desired.

-Recipe adapted from Simple Bites

-To make this virgin just omit the alcohol and add an extra 1/2 cup of whole milk, and 1/2 cup of cream.

14 Responses to Classic Eggnog

1. I love eggnog and make it homemade every year. This recipe looks wonderful and oh so creamy.

2. Meg says:

I’ve never made homemade eggnog, but I think this is the year for it! Love the sound of this one. Good luck on your exams!

3. All the best for your exams. I’ve never made eggnog at home, sounds interesting.

4. Nanny says:

The very best on your exams Katrina. The eggnog sounds WONDERFUL. We’ll have to make it at Christmas 🙂

I would love a bit of this swirled into my coffee in the morning! Quite the pick-me-up. Good luck on your exams lady!!

Good luck with all your exams and the studying!! I’ve never thought about making eggnog at home – I’m so intrigued! lol

There is nothing like homemade eggnog! This looks so good. I have a serious craving now!

8. Jess says:

Good luck with exams, Katrina!

9. […] Classic Homemade Eggnog (Warm Vanilla Sugar) Coconut Eggnog – Rum Edition (Simply Scratch) Holiday Nog – Light […]

10. December is for eggnog and this looks so rich and creamy! Good luck with your exams 🙂
    Cheers,
    J+C

11. I’ve never made eggnog from scratch but it’s one of my favorite things of all time 🙂 Yours looks perfect!

12. It’s never too early to embrace the season with a little eggnog!

13. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I love eggnog so much 🙂 will definitely have to use this recipe!